News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:48:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nostalgia Eastern Upstate New York  (Read 513 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nostalgia Eastern Upstate New York
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
I have noticed several recent posts that looked back to CL modeling in the early 50's when many of us got our start. A recent post focused on modeling in Western New York where many responded by recalling  names of the old timers in the area.

I'd like to ask if anyone remembers a group from Eastern New York State the Albany area. I recently visited an old friend Bob Craft who flew CL in the mid 50's. When I met Bob, he was president of the Model Aires a club that met at the Palace Hobby Shop on Clinton Ave in Albany just a few doors away from the Palace Theater. The club flew at the old East Greenbush Airport a few miles outside of Rensselaer just across the river from Albany. Attached is a photo of Bob Craft taken about 1959. Bob had won first place in the club according to his daughter; I recall Bob was an excellent builder and stunter but most importantly he was a mentor to myself and many other young guys in the neighborhood.

Bob lived down the street from where I grew up in Rensselaer. Bob was in his mid 30's when I discovered he was building and flying control line. He got me in the air after building a Guillows Basic II trainer. He let me use his U-Reely after driving to the airport. Later we built together two Frank Baker MAN 56 Me109's.
He was like a second father to many of us, I'd hang around when he built his house and a cabin cruiser in his garage, I absorbed much from the time spent with Bob. His daughter said I was the son he never had.

After 50 years away from CL I decided to dust off some old things I hadn't looked at in decades. Like many of us, family, career took us far away from a passion we once had but never lost. Five years ago I dusted off what was left of some old models, more junk than anything but still treasured hanging in my parent's attic and began to become again involved.

Two years back I decided to make a trip back to where Bob lived to reacquaint and take him flying. Bob today is 94 years and still has some fond memories of the early years. I have been keeping in touch with Bob traveling several times a year to see him. Bob made a huge impression on me as a kid that I'll never forget. I only wish now we had reacquainted years earlier when Bob was still active in modeling. Attached are photos of Bob in 1959 and more recently at my home when his daughter brought him out for a visit where I live in Syracuse. Bob and I are in my shop with the Me109 I built in memory of the two we built when I was 12 years old.

If anyone recalls anything about the Model Aires or Bob Craft I'd appreciate hearing from you. Interesting also, I recently discovered Bob was part of the Normandy Invasion. Isn't it funny how he never talked about the war in the early years, so typical of those of the Great Generation.

Steve

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nostalgia Eastern Upstate New York
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:08:56 AM »
Photo Bob Craft president Model Aires Albany New York

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
Thanks for the story of one of our unsung heros of model planes and the great war.  My first club was the Flying Eagles of Kansas City KANSAS.  Almost all those that helped us youngsters in those day are gone.  The last one I visited was Byron Meriwether when I took a photo of Randy Cuberly to him.   At 91 he remembered Randy immediately.   Glad I did it when I did as he left this world a few weeks later. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »
  Steve.  I remember going to cL and ff contest all over the Hudson Vally. Small towns from NYC to Albany. We went to at least three a year in the late 1950 to mid 1960’s
 Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »

Great story Steve, thanks for sharing!  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey