News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Day  (Read 3692 times)

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Pearl Harbor Day
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Let us be mindful of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice today.

Wes

Just wondered if anyone remembered.......
Wes Eakin

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pearl Harbor Day
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
Planes a day has a pic of a PBY the men are trying to take care of.  Yes it is on fire.  Then the mate site,  Wheels a day show some velhicles from that horrendous day.  My self it is one day in history class I could never forget.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
I was born in 1947 and my mom and   dad never let me forget it.  Dad landed in france 1944 and i will never forget that. He died in 1999 and never would talk about his time over there. When I asked about it , he came to tears and said no.  God bless him and all the guys that were in that  dam war.

Offline bill mazzoni

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
Born on Dec.7 1939 and will never forget that day in history Dec. 7 1941

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »
   No, let's not forget, and we need to remember the troop's that are serving todsy.
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
 Never will be forgotten here.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Joe Mig

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
My Dad was a WWII Vet and his passion for the WWII aircraft was never ending . It was my Dad, Arnold Migliaccio who started H.A.R.P at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. (RIP Dad)
See the link >     http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/veterans-and-volunteers-rebuild-classic-war-planes-in-brooklyn/19700159?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

After this take a look at the Art work of these WWII aircraft they speek words that you can't even explane so take a look at this link to a blog I belong to with my first love,slot cars..
 It is Unbleavable art work of these WWII aircraft  >
http://slotblog.net/index.php?showtopic=27005&pid=300818&st=0&#entry300818

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
My father Walter Brickhaus was aboard the battleship Nevada.  That ship was the only one with a head of steam and was able to move the Nevada and ground it on Hospital Point.  The Nevada was the first ship at Pearl to be recommissioned to full service after December 7th.  Dad and many other Missouri sailors then asked for duty on the light cruiser St. Louis.  Despite one torpedo in the bow and two Kamakaze strikes, my father and the St. Louis made it safely home after VJ Day.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
Yesterday morning some young copy reader on Fox News tells the world that, "69 years ago Japanese fighter jets attacked Pearl Harbor leading to the United States involvement in WWII."
Oh, why do I repeat this? Because we need to do something, whatever is necessary to continue to educate the youth of America that history actually means something.
 Chris...

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »
it is a shame that more will be said on news about john lennon death  than about 12/7!!!!!
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
Because we Goodie goods sweep everything under the table. There is almost nothing in the school history books concerning WWII. What is there is mostly 75% in error. I read over a number of books belonging to my grandkids over the past 20 years. SAD!
I was almost 6 years old that day. I remember mom and dad and the problems they could foresee. Today there is almost nothing memtioned. I listened over TV and radio yesterday. Just a couple worthless mentions.

Wanna see some more cover-ups? Check this out:

At first I said, "No Contrail". n1  I made those things for 41 years and observed them before that!
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline Robert Mathison

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
I was born 10/31/1938 and I still remember that day.
Bob

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
I'm 76 and recall that day quite well.  There were write ups in today and yesterday's Austin paper, but certainly not as much as in years past.  There was a well attended ceremony at the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX.  That is a small but excellent museum and well worth a visit.  It is in the old Nimitz Hotel and adjacent grounds. 

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Wow Thanks for reminder.
This is the first time in memory that I have let it slip by with out remembering! HB~>
Born in 56 but my family all ways remembers.

Oh yea
Our school system was trashed long time ago.
No mention of Federalist/Anti Fed papers here, in the 70s.
New math, the old one broke down, wore out or sumpn.
Bells/ Air raid pratice/ Pavlovs dog....well trained.

David Roland

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
  There was a well attended ceremony at the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX.  That is a small but excellent museum and well worth a visit.  It is in the old Nimitz Hotel and adjacent grounds. 

A little over a year ago, while on vacation in those parts, we stopped at that museum. They were just moving into a brand new building at the time and we unfortunately couldn't see the complete collection. It looks like they will have a world class museum by now.
In years past, TV always had the movie Tora Tora Tora playing on the 7th, but this year, nothing. I watched that movie every year and always wanted to visit Pearl Harbor; I finally got the chance last winter on a holiday to Honolulu... and unforgettable experience!

Orv.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
I was born 10 years and 1 day AFTER Pearl Harbor and was 14 when we visited the USS Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl Cemetery.  I am still struck by the memory of the oil seeping from the Arizona's bunkers and the 1,000+ souls still entombed in her bowels.

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »
"I am still struck by the memory of the oil seeping from the Arizona's bunkers and the 1,000+ souls still entombed in her bowels."

Well said Steve...

Old gun installation

Kolekole Pass

Wheeler Field

Wes
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:01:53 PM by afml »
Wes Eakin

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:02 PM »
 It would be repainted in your picture here if so, but I wonder if that replica P-40 on the pedestal is one of the leftover mock-ups from the filming of Tora! Tora! Tora!?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:43:14 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 05:40:18 AM »
It would be repainted in your picture here if so, but I wonder if that replica P-40 on the pedastal is one of the leftover mock-ups from the filming of Tora! Tora! Tora!?

Yep! It tis! A few more pics of it.

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
Our two local papers each had very large articles in them with interviews of two different WWII survivors!  while they really didn't care to talk about it, they agreed to share.  One was 97 I think, and was at Pearl.  Then one of our Toledo TV stations had an interview with still another Pearl survivor.  I guess I can be proud of my local area for their remembrance of that tragic day.
One of the papers also ran a large article on Ike's command to take many pictures of the concentration camps in Germany with his quote that "Someday some^%&&^%$ will claim it never happened."  Boy, was he ever a prophet.
God bless our wonderful country and our troops!!!!!!!
Will, USN
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline clscale7

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »
On Dec 7th, 1991 the folks at PLanes of Fame air museum flew 3 aircraft in formation over the airport on the 50th anniversary,  An A6M5 Zero, Dauntless and the I believe a P-40 warhawk. Everyone on the ground in including myself were watched in honor of the folks who served during the war. I'll never forget that sight and what Pearl Harbor day really means.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
CL scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here