News:

• June 16, 2024, 04:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cooling our Complete System  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cooling our Complete System
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:29:26 AM »
COOLING SPINOFF

This is a "spinoff" from the Russel/Bruce "Controller Temps ....." thread. As it drifted away from just the ESC temps into cooling in general, it seemed to warrant its own broader "system wide" cooling thread. I feel this is an important issue that is greatly misunderstood by new ECL builders/converters. I hope this new thread answers some of the many cooling questions raised by new ECL pilots. With luck, we will have photos of good E cooling systems from the many talented and experienced E builders/flyer's on this forum.  :)

GOOD NEWS

The good news is that there are many good solutions out there and it won't take too long to get this information disseminated among all ECL modelers. We also have thousands of successful E designs from the ERC world that can help give us some guidance. The other bit of good news is that it seems that our E systems are pretty tough. I have seen many good E installs, but I have also seen some amazingly poor installs with everything just thrown into a small space with little air circulation. The poor systems worked. Yes they got a little hot but they still flew great patterns. They will not last as long, and they are probably not running at MAX power and efficiency, but they still work OK. So, our goal is not to scare people or make them think that they have to have a "perfect" install to get into ECL.

You don't have to use the suggestions listed below to have a successful "OK" ECL system. My only goal is to show that with a very small amount of effort and some knowledge about cooling systems we can all have COOL systems that are efficient, powerful, and long lasting.  8)

OUR COOLING GOAL: SAFE OPERATING TEMPERATURES:

After talking with experts (Dean, Kim, etc.) and manufactures, here are the Temperature ranges we should be aiming for:

MOTOR:     MIN = Zero degrees Calvin, as cold as possible ........ MAX =  < 130 f  (over 150 f = trouble!)

ESC:         MIN = 33 f     ......... MAX = < 130 f  (over 140 f = trouble)

BATTERY:  MIN = 70 f     .........  MAX = < 130 f  ( our batteries like it best between 90 f and 115 f ) when cold WX flying, reduce cooling to keep them warm.

BTW:  An easy measuring device is the fingers on our NON flying hand. Humans can hold something up to around 125 f before it feels to hot to be comfortable. You should be able to painlessly touch your ESC, your MOTOR, and your BATTERY. If you can't, then you are pushing their limits, and more cooling may be needed.   

OUR CL PLANES ARE DESIGNED FOR WET ENGINE COOLING, "NOT" ECL COOLING

One of our biggest problems is that traditional CL designs have only one cooling inlet that is for the single cylinder wet engine in the inverted position, with an air outlet in the bottom of the plane aft of the cylinder. And they almost always use a large spinner above this inlet. When converting our CL planes for ECL we can quickly see that we need some changes to cool our three major parts, not just the one in front.

1. We need to horizontally SPLIT the air coming into the lower front intake with some simple baffles. The top 50% needs to be directed UP to the motor intake holes and the bottom 50% needs to be directed toward the ESC which is usually located below the battery near the bottom of the plane. The ideal is to have "unheated" air going to the ESC, NOT leftover "heated" air from the motor. ......... This is one of the main reasons for ESC overheating, the ESC deserves its OWN cool air.  ;) 

2. Ideally we need a top, or side intake that brings the air into the battery area aft of the motor area. If at all possible, like the ESC, the battery deserves its own air, not hot leftovers.

3. With a little imagination and a look at WW II aircraft intakes, we should be able to make some nice looking intakes on our ECL conversions. A big help is that we are always going over 50 mph and it does not take a large intake to bring in a lot of cooling air. ........ About 1.5 sq. in. total front intake(s) should be enough if we have some simple baffles inside and adequate air exhaust exits.

4. Just think of the airflow inside your plane. Air, like water, will ALWAYS take the easiest way from INLET to EXIT. We need to make sure that the air flow is directed into the motor and not allowed to escape bypassing it. The same for the ESC. Don't let the air ignore the ESC on it's way toward the exit. Same for the battery. Your baffles don't have to be fancy, just light and effective. They can be thin balsa, or carved pieces of foam to force the air to go where it will do our system the most good.

AIRFLOW OUTLETS

Another common mistake is making it difficult for the hot air to exit freely. This lets heat build up inside the plane and defeats the effectiveness of the cool inlets we made in the steps above.

1. The general rule of thumb for wet (a LOT of heat) systems is the Exit area needs to be at least 2 times the size of the inlet. We don't get that hot so our air does not expand that much, but we still must make sure that our exit is larger. The 2 to 1 won't hurt but 1.5 to 1 is a good target. If in doubt, error on the LARGE size.  ;D

2. Try to have multiple exits. At least try to have the hot motor air exit on it's own, and NOT just direct it over the Battery and ESC on it's way to a single exit. These motor air exits can be holes in the side of the motor area, or out the bottom of the motor area.

3. If you have only one large main air exit on the bottom of the plane then you should try to have baffles separating the hot motor air so that it has its own sealed routing to the rear exit hole area. The same for the ESC and Battery.

4. The battery can have the air enter the front then exit straight down to the rear bottom exit, or out the rear top if there are baffles inside to make sure the the air is forced to flow around the battery on its way toward the exit.

5. If you look at many full scale piston aircraft you will see that almost all of them have adjustable cowl flaps. These flaps at the leading edge of the air exit hole cause a low pressure area to be created at the exit hole that SUCKS the air out of the plane which causes an increase in the volume of air flowing over our E system. I think this will be a BIG help to all of our ECL planes. It will help in our cooling and if it is adjustable it will allow us to control our temps inside as outside temps change.  :)

THE FUTURE OF ECL COOLING

1. Within the next few years we will see more CL designs that are created for the use of E power. This will allow us to have a built in cooling system that is integrated with the power system from the beginning of the design. Phil Granderson's beautiful purpose built E ship is a good example of this. So is Kim's FAI E powered ship. Paul Walker's latest design, and Will Moore's beautiful round motor design also shows us what can be done when you start with a clean piece of paper for E powered planes.

2. In ERC most of the aerobatic E planes are scale models of full size aerobatic planes that have LARGE front cooling intakes on both sides of the spinner, plus another intake below the spinner. This is perfect for our ECL planes because we can direct each inlet toward each of our three components.

3. Round motor cowled designs (Yak, Sukhoi, etc.) are perfect for ECL. We will see more of these in the near future.

4. Our very narrow, small fuselage CL designs reflect the need to minimize drag back when our wet engines were VERY weak and they could not pull much drag up hill. Being from the late 1940s and early 1950s, they also reflect the influence of WW II fighters, and the air races of the 1930s and late 1940s. Today we have UNLIMITED power with our E systems (and modern wet systems like Randy's Piped PA engines). We can pull any fuselage size or shape up hill. So we can design planes that look like full scale, and are E friendly.  ;D

I hope this little post encourages others to send in their photos of their cooling designs/installs and also their ideas on cooling solutions.  y1

Warm Regards,  H^^ 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:41:37 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
Re: Cooling our Complete System
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:03:42 AM »
Large cooling intakes may not be all that necessary, as long as the exits are good (for fast airflow) and there is separate ducting for each item that needs cooling (so components don't heat each other). Apparently, in full size aircraft - like Formula 1 racers - reducing the intakes may actually improve cooling, when the exits are better able to suck the air out.

I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:25:14 AM »
Hi PerttlMe,

I agree with you that the exits are very important, and well designed exits will be a big help to the entire cooling system.

Regarding the very small inlets of modern racers and some fast general aviation passenger aircraft, we can not really use them as an example to follow for our relatively slow moving (55 mph) ECL planes.

The small inlets in these FS planes are typically used on planes that are doing over 150 mph and often 200+ mph. With PERFECT ducting inside the cowl and like you said, very well designed outlets, AND the very fast incoming air, there is no need for large inlets. These planes typically have large cowl flaps used for taxi and slow flight.

A better example to use in FS are the aerobatic planes like the Extra 300L, and the Edge (NOT the racing versions of these, just the aerobatic versions). These have relatively large air cooling intakes because they spend a lot of time going up hill at full power at relatively slow speeds, just like our ECL planes do.

But your right, the planes your referring to sure do look COOL with those very small streamlined inlets!  8)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »
I agree that a Formula 1 racer is an extreme example, but cowl flaps are used for more general purpose flying too, especially "open during high power/ low speed operations", enlarging the exits to get the hot air out.

(sources for the quote:
http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/articles/aircraft-engines-cooling.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_engine_controls

But we agree on my main point: good exits are important. IMO, more so than big holes in the front.

I recall someone saying that on those F1 racers the exit to inlet ratio is more like  3 to 1.

---
edit:
Some aircraft designs manage to place the outlets in areas where aerodynamics create a low-pressure area. The radiator exits under the tail of the P-51 being a prime example.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »
Rudy,
I agree there are a lot of things to consider,, I think one area that is over stressed is battery cooling, I havent seen that much issue with keeping batteries cool, the ESC and Motor are the  most critical.
My latest, a profile, has incorporated a couple ideas I am anxious to try out.
One thing to keep in mind, our planes by nature fly at a slight yaw to oncoming air, at least the nose is . I am taking advantage of this by using the inboard side as an intake, and the outboard side as the exhaust. I will post pictures on my build thread shortly. THe inboard side will be slightly positive to the outboard side at least from my theory., Its not much but perhaps enough to make a difference.
another facet of this, the inlet can be somewhat smaller than you may think it needs to be regardless of speed. The key is to slow the air down once it enters the cooling area. My thought is to create a plenum of sorts that will increase in crossection. This will allow the smaller amount of air to be channeled easier ( because of the slower speed) and give better effective cooling. Air moving past an object at high velocity is much less efficient for cooling than slow moving air. It also reduces the drag when the air is moving slower, though I dont think this drag is all that critical for our application. This is one reason that the cowlings on race planes are so effective in enhancing speed, its the drag within the cowling duct that makes the difference, not so much the shape of the outside.
Still, like all things on our systems, some fresh design approach is appropriate since the needs are different than for a glow model.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Hi Mark,

I'm glad you mentioned this, Your right, reducing cooling air flow drag is NOT important for our mission. .... It will be important to the ECL speed guys, but not us.  ;)

We don't have to worry at all about reducing the air inlet size, we are not racing. For our CLPA mission with our modern unlimited power sources (both wet and E ) and at our slow speeds this very small amount of frontal drag is truly insignificant. We can use as much as is needed for our mission. The same is true for the exit cowl flaps, their drag will not bother us at all.

I like yours and Tim's idea of placing the ESC/Timer inside a thin cowl on your profile planes. This allows you to control the cooling much better than just having it out in the random breeze where the airflow can just ignore the ESC and bypass it easily. It sounds like your cooling system will solve this very well.  :)

In our ECL case it is not so much that the air is flowing past too fast, it is that we allow this fast moving air to have too many EASY ways to get around our equipment without being FORCED to touch all it's parts and then take its heat away. Your correct about the ideal of controlling the speed of airflow. But this is very difficult to get just right without wind tunnels, etc., and if you get it wrong it could make things worse rather than better.

The good news is that at our slow speeds, and considering the relatively LOW amount of heat to dispense with, this means that our task is relatively easy to do without the difficulty of trying to control the air flow speeds inside our planes. Just making sure that the 55 mph airflow is forced to be channeled directly at our equipment and forced to flow closely around it's parts before taking the heat away and exiting the plane will be more than enough to keep our systems cool and well within their safe temp. limits.

I always look forward to seeing photos of your beautiful planes, in this case: "inside AND out"  :)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
Rudy,
here is a couple shots of the ElectraJet in its current state of progress
More on the dedicated thread, but I thought these might prove interesting for this discussion to show what I was talking about
note: there will be an internal baffle to seperated the air for the motor from the air from electronics

There is a slight lip on the outboard cheek cowl to cause some low pressure behind it, the opening is about one x 6 along the bottom of the lip
The intake side has four small slit openings each about 1" x 3/8"
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:08 AM »
We don't have to worry at all about reducing the air inlet size, we are not racing. For our CLPA mission with our modern unlimited power sources (both wet and E ) and at our slow speeds this very small amount of frontal drag is truly insignificant. We can use as much as is needed for our mission. The same is true for the exit cowl flaps, their drag will not bother us at all.

I thought this statement was a little bold, coming with no calculation to support it, so I did some ciphering.  I decided it's pretty much correct.  For a drag coefficient of 1 based on inlet area, 70-foot lines, 5.3 seconds per lap, sea level standard day, 5.5-minute flight time, prop efficiency of .8, propulsion system efficiency of .8, and average battery voltage of 19, I get 48 mA-hr. of battery per square inch of inlet.  Assuming batteries use 70% of their capacity per flight (I forget what the rule of thumb is for this), that's 69 mA-hr. of incremental battery capacity.  Linearizing the incremental mass per capacity of Hyperion G3 CX batteries, I get 7.9 grams of incremental battery per square inch of inlet.  Linearizing the incremental cost per capacity of Hyperion G3 CX batteries, and multiplying by three (the number of batteries you need to practice continuously while charging at a 5C rate), I get $5.50 worth of battery per square inch of inlet.

Those numbers are "uncycled": they don't account for airplane growth to maintain wing loading with increased battery size.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:54:40 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »
The general rule of thumb for wet (a LOT of heat) systems is the Exit area needs to be at least 2 times the size of the inlet. We don't get that hot so our air does not expand that much, but we still must make sure that our exit is larger. The 2 to 1 won't hurt but 1.5 to 1 is a good target. If in doubt, error on the LARGE size.

I don't know from where the 2:1 rule of thumb comes, but it's probably not from expansion.  From PV=nRT, that would make the outlet air about 500 degrees F, which would blister your paint. 

I was amazed to calculate that motors put out about 100 watts of heat (from http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/Datenblaetter/Orbit/Orbit20_18.pdf , I see that the Wirkungsgrad of the Plettenberg 20-18 is about 85%).  Wow.  I wonder how much heat a RO-Jett .65 puts out.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
I'll place here a couple of photos that I just placed on the previous 'Castle ESC' temperature post...I've made some 'mods' to my model with an external scoop on the outboard side of the fuselage that directs 'fresh' air straight onto the ESC - hopefully this will help to eliminate some of the heating issues we've been discussing.. y1  For those that are interested; I made the 'scoop' out of the end of a large ballpoint pen (white so I didn't have to paint it!).
Bruce
Bruce

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
I don't know from where the 2:1 rule of thumb comes, but it's probably not from expansion.  From PV=nRT, that would make the outlet air about 500 degrees F, which would blister your paint. 

I was amazed to calculate that motors put out about 100 watts of heat (from http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/Datenblaetter/Orbit/Orbit20_18.pdf , I see that the Wirkungsgrad of the Plettenberg 20-18 is about 85%).  Wow.  I wonder how much heat a RO-Jett .65 puts out.
Howard,,
I love that you can calculate this stuff. Here I sit using the seat of my worn out pants and observation, and you go and throw math up all over it ;)
could you do me a favor,, when you throw a formula out, for those of us who are less educated in the finer points, could you define the terms for the formula please?
like P = ?
     R = ?
I may not be able to extrapolate the info, but I should be able to follow along and nod my head in the right places then at least
Thanks

As to locationb of cooling inlets, I STRONGLY beleive that inlets should be located on the inboard side. I base this on my seat of the pants observations again. I remember using remote uniflow vent pickups, they just would never seem to work consistantly on the outboard side of the fuse. I surmised that this was because the air was dirty. After doing some observation and physicall layout of how an airplane flies, I deduced that that the nose of the airframe flies at a positive angle of attack with respect to forward motion. So this was why I theorized that the intake worked better on the inboard side,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
Howard,,
I love that you can calculate this stuff. Here I sit using the seat of my worn out pants and observation, and you go and throw math up all over it ;)
could you do me a favor,, when you throw a formula out, for those of us who are less educated in the finer points, could you define the terms for the formula please?
like P = ?
     R = ?
I may not be able to extrapolate the info, but I should be able to follow along and nod my head in the right places then at least
Thanks

Geeze Mark, didn't they make you learn the universal gas law before the let you loose with compressed air?  I'll bet that's been fixed -- soon you won't be allowed to be a painter unless you have a degree in physical chemistry.

Howard was forgetting that there are more routes to competence than through an engineering degree.

P = pressure
V = volume
n = number of gas molecules, in moles*
R = universal gas constant
T = temperature on an absolute scale (i.e. Kelvin, or Rankine if you're militant about US units)

It's the description of the process that makes our engines work (squish air without taking heat out and the temperature goes up, which lights the fire, which makes the temperature go way up, which makes the pressure go up so the air pushes down on the piston, repeat).

As to location of cooling inlets, I STRONGLY beleive that inlets should be located on the inboard side. I base this on my seat of the pants observations again. I remember using remote uniflow vent pickups, they just would never seem to work consistantly on the outboard side of the fuse. I surmised that this was because the air was dirty. After doing some observation and physicall layout of how an airplane flies, I deduced that that the nose of the airframe flies at a positive angle of attack with respect to forward motion. So this was why I theorized that the intake worked better on the inboard side,,

Frank Ziac (I got it right that time!!).  Circular Airflow.  I don't know who publishes his Yearbooks, but a fer years ago you could get them from Hannan's Hanger.  He asserted that a plane flying on a curve could be modeled as a curved plane flying straight -- so a control line plane would look like a banana, with the lines coming off the high point.  Then your assertion about dirty airflow at the outside cowl area makes sense.

I think that airflow at the very front of the outside fuselage should be clean; anything behind that is going to see the effect you're talking about.  So a uniflow pickup that's outside and behind is going to see dirty air -- I suspect that if you put it above the fuse, below the fuse, or all the way forward, right behind the prop, it'll see clean air.

* that's a count of molecules, not the little critter that messes up your lawn.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »
Yeah I remember Chemistry,, something about sitting in Todd Hall surrounded by 700 students half my age,, going on about what they did at the party last night,, Yeah I remember chemistry,, but don't have photo recall of the formula,, however, now I do recall it now upon being reminded
I do beleive that a well designed system of cooling would be able to show a thrust increase from the heat generated, there is  a LOT of heat being produced. Now in the scale we are talking, would it be measurable, or worth the effort,, not likely. Besides, it would likely come at the wrong time anyway,, since max thrust potential would come from max heat, this would occur during the power manuevers,, say for example, the hourglass, you ramp up power climbing up the hill, generate more heat, but it likely wouldnt make it to the heatsink until some fraction of a second later, thereby creating the extra thrust on the downhill side of the manuever,, NOT where we want extra power,, so I say, we let that particular sleeping dog lie.

I know only from hands on experience about the uniflow pickup,, seems common knowledge since when I had it wrong, at least 4 or 5 guys came up and said, "hey why did ya put that there,, it aint gonna work that way",, sigh,,But it wasn't till I drew a diagram that I really understood why it didn't.
As for building our planes shaped like a banana to compensate,, I will let YOU be the one to do that,, Gads what an ugly thought that is,, *shudders* and the only benefit I can see would be that it would have some small amount less drag, but then we aren't really all that worried about drag , at least level straight flight drag,, now induced drag, thats a different story,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
As for building our planes shaped like a banana to compensate,, I will let YOU be the one to do that,, Gads what an ugly thought that is,, *shudders* and the only benefit I can see would be that it would have some small amount less drag, but then we aren't really all that worried about drag , at least level straight flight drag,, now induced drag, thats a different story,,

Ick -- I wasn't suggesting to do it, just that it's a nice mental model to understand the process.

Maybe for CL speed you would want to curve the fuselage, but somehow I think if it worked all that well someone would be doing it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
Ick -- I wasn't suggesting to do it, just that it's a nice mental model to understand the process.

I've done it, and worse.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
As to locationb of cooling inlets, I STRONGLY beleive that inlets should be located on the inboard side. I base this on my seat of the pants observations again.
This makes sense to me. The relative wind is blowing on that side when you are doing tricks, which is when the motor is drawing the most power.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the great photos. Really nice looking plane.  :)

I like your inventive intake scoop. It should help. Your 8 mm tubing inside the plane that directs air down to the ESC is a very cool idea! It will be interesting to see how the small LE flap works on your forward exit hole. Are you going to put a larger one on the LE of the rear exit hole?

I hope the rain lets up soon so you can fly. ..... BTW: where do you live? New Zealand? or Portland OR? 5 straight days of rain is a lot. The most we ever get here is 5 straight hours once every few years.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »
Thanks Rudy,
You could be forgiven for thinking that Sydney is 'tropical' at the moment for all the rain we have been having.  There has been a drought over the past 10 or so years but that seems to have been well and truly broken now with record rain falls all across the state! I live in Katoomba - about 3300 ft above sea level -  and it can be 'drizzly' up here much of the time, however there is no sign of drizzle now, just pouring rain!  ''
Re the LE flap - yes I should put one in front of the other air exit, will attend to that tomorrow while sheltering from the rain which is predicted to be still falling!  :)
Regards,
Bruce
Bruce

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
Hi all, a brief update here on the cooling 'mods' I did on the model last week..  We had a contest yesterday (Sunday) - very humid and quite warm temps. at about 27 deg's C.  When I later checked the logging I found that the temperature of the ESC was about 10 deg C lower than previously - so that at least seems to have made an improvement! y1 
As for the competition itself - that's another story!  Disappointing as far as I was concerned, it was quite a 'still' day with some light breeze at times coming from every point around the circle, with the odd 'thermal' thrown in for good measure!  As I was readying for my flight I was tempted to increase the RPM to the next step but elected in the end to not bother - which was a mistake.  With the variable winds and thermal that seemed to live over the top of me for 90% of the flight I could have done with a few extra revs - so the result wasn't what I'd been hoping for.  Live and learn; I should have gone with my first instinct & increased the Rpm!  n1
I thought I could improve the score over the next rounds however the rain returned in earnest and the comp. was called off after everyone only flying 1 round.  We had the presentations and then guess what?  The weather cleared for a beautiful afternoon!

Well I'm about to go out now and do some mowing - the hot humid conditions have made the grass grow like a Triffid on steroids!  Hoping for some more flying practice this coming weekend but the forecast already is looking 'wet' once again!   :(

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
Triffids!
Oh no! They're taking over ...
It's good when we can work a gratuitous song or movie reference, don't you think so? LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Glad to hear about what looks to be a substantial improvement given the change you made.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here