News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: replacing a broken leadout cable  (Read 944 times)

Offline Dudley Lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
replacing a broken leadout cable
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
I had a cable leadout break.  It is a finished plane covered with silkspan.  I can cut into the center sheeting to get to the bellcrank but how can you thread a new cable through a covered wing?  Dudley Lang

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: replacing a broken leadout cable
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
          Dudley, I have done what your asking several times. I found the biggest problem depends on the exit as it leaves the wingtip. I sometimes ca the new one to the old one and use the old one as a pull string. This works if the eyelet at the wingtip is large enough. As said above you can glue it directly to the side of the old one. I've even had to butt join them with ca which is a bit more riskier as it could fall off leaving the existing cable in the wing. In the event that happens, I use small music wire and carefully fish it into the bellcrank area. Once the cable is there which is usually easier than the termination part. I then carefully use crimp tubes while others use wrapping. Ken

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »
You can tape the end of the new cable to a piece of music wire and push it in from the end of the wing.  Alternatively, if the tube in the wingtip is big enough, you can push a piece of metal tubing into the wing and use it as a conduit for the wire.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
Depends where

once I replaced lines broken in LO

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:18:14 AM »
Dudley, check  the ARF forum, I have a thread on my ARF Cardinal saved by Pre-flight Inspection. There are pictures in there and comments that might help you.
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here