News:

• June 01, 2024, 01:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active engine control  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Active engine control
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
Augh!  I can't remember the names of the folk that did this already.  But -- did anyone ever do a write up on their efforts with active engine control?  I was reading Randy's discussion about CL stunt fuels, thinking "but if you put an RC carb on there, with a servo, and adjusted the engine for an RC run, and regulated the speed, then the indicated fuel would be plain ol' RC fuel".

Then it occurred to me that instead of spending $75 on a new engine for my plane and several hundred for fuel for the next year or so, I could save oodles of money simply by expending an amount of time equivalent to thousands of dollars of consulting fees by making my own engine controller -- what could be more sensible?!?

So -- how far did you get?  Did you try just regulating speed?  Did you just jump straight to trying to control speed based on airspeed or acceleration?  Did you try an unstable pole in the engine control loop, so the engine would run faster under load than when free running?  (Note that I'm not asking "Do I have my head stuck up my assumptions" -- I don't need an answer to that one).

I'm currently pricing out fuels, and thinking that electric may be the way to go...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Active engine control
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
Your fuel type is related to how your engine is constructed.  Steel liner and iron piston need more oil. I'm not a good enough flier to need anything more than Sig Champion 10% nitro 20% oil, half synthetic, half castor for TD 09, McCoy 19, Fox stunt 35, Tower 40 ABC, and K&B 4011 ringed.  All run to suit me after I figure out which prop to use. 

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »
I gave serious thought to a miniature "FADEC" system for my stunt motor some time back but, the Saito 72 is so reliable and consistant, I would be just screwing around for no gain.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:10:45 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
Your fuel type is related to how your engine is constructed.
How it's run, too, if you read Randy's explanation of "why our engines don't use RC fuel".

But that's really meat for another thread -- I was hoping to hear from someone who's tried active engine control, to figure out why it doesn't work, or if maybe there's an unexplored avenue to make it work.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
"Did you try an unstable pole in the engine control loop, so the engine would run faster under load than when free running? "

Now you're talkin'.  Igor Burger has done this with electrics.  You can search here for his stuff, or perhaps he will elaborate.  

Much as I dislike the religion called Systems Engineering, you might start by determining the requirements.  Stunt people will be of little help: they can't decide on the definition of "power".    Constant RPM might be something to shoot for.  I don't know what frequency response you need, but if might be fun to determine experimentally the response of an engine with an intake throttle.  

You can make your own stunt fuel for about $12/gallon.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »
What is this RC fuel of which we speak?   As I get older and feebler, I may take up RC.  If so, I'm gonna run the same Sig Champion fuel I run now.  (Except with diesels, of course.)  Isn't it then RC fuel?

On thinking about it, I do a lot of things which the experts advise against.  I routinely run shaft extensions and heavy hubs, and see no reason not to continue doing so, for example.  If you follow the expert's advice, you will be OK.  I'm going to continue doing what works to suit me. 

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
Sig fuel makes your airplane smell like a girl.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
"Did you try an unstable pole in the engine control loop, so the engine would run faster under load than when free running? "

Now you're talkin'.  Igor Burger has done this with electrics.  You can search here for his stuff, or perhaps he will elaborate.
I was 80% sure it was Igor -- but when I tried searching on his name I didn't come up with much.  Hopefully he'll see this thread.

In theory, the unstable pole thing would make the system "sense" a higher load, and respond by running faster.  Unfortunately, it'd also sense any glitches, bearing issues, bugs on the prop, etc., and take those as reasons to run faster or slower, too.  All such problems would be exacerbated by the increased variability that one encounters with slime power vs. electric.  No matter what, much excitement would ensue; only if one were lucky and well prepared would it be the sort of excitement that one enjoys at the time.
Much as I dislike the religion called Systems Engineering, you might start by determining the requirements.  Stunt people will be of little help: they can't decide on the definition of "power".    Constant RPM might be something to shoot for.  I don't know what frequency response you need, but if might be fun to determine experimentally the response of an engine with an intake throttle.  
I was thinking that a wise control engineer would start by seeing what could be done with constant RPM, as that seems to work so well with electrics.  Constant, high RPM and a big, low-pitch prop ought to come close to what an electric does with regulated RPM.  But experimentation would be the only way to know.

Frequency response would be an interesting problem, because it'll vary from engine to engine, and from run to run on the same engine.  I can easily envision getting a system set up to work perfectly, then tweaking the needle valve and having the thing burst into Really Embarrassing oscillations once it's in the air.  Measuring the response of the engine to the throttle would be the first thing to do once one had ones sensors and actuator on line.

You must be an engineer, or work closely with them, and given your cynicism about systems engineering it almost has to be in aerospace.  Systems engineering can be great stuff when it's approached with the right attitude, but I've seen it turn into a magnificent vehicle for empire building by folks with little realization for the practical impacts of what they're doing, and I've seen it turn into a great excuse factory.  On the other hand, I've seen systems designed without good systems oversight that cost way, way too much for the job they do, and I've seen systems designed without good systems oversight that stumble and fall because they're just not up to snuff.

Done right a good systems engineer asks "how can this goal be accomplished with the least expenditure of time, money and other resources", then comes up with an answer to the question that doesn't have some huge glaring holes (like a need to build an aircraft half out of titanium and half out of tungsten, when the competition are doing the same thing with aluminum and balsa wood).

Systems engineers -- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
You can make your own stunt fuel for about $12/gallon.
Could you please find my thread on fuel sources and give me a run down on where to get the stuff to do that?  It may be the best solution, unless I change over to electric now, before I'm carried off in a sea of nitro and castor.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »

Scott Bair's feedforward system used an exhaust throttle.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
Scott Bair's feedforward system used an exhaust throttle.
One immediate concern you'd have, if you seriously tried this, would be the response speed and linearity of whatever you used for a throttle, so I could easily see trying other measures to get a better throttle response.
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:27:39 PM »
Brett's a G/(1+GH) guy, too.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »
I'd ask what's so special about control line stunt to attract so many (relatively), except that my own little podunk club in Estacada, Oregon has two -- me, and the guy who makes the Volt Magic battery monitor for helicopters.
AMA 64232

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »
One immediate concern you'd have, if you seriously tried this, would be the response speed and linearity of whatever you used for a throttle, so I could easily see trying other measures to get a better throttle response.

Hi Tim

I wouldn't be too quick about dismissing the exhaust throttle, I have Scott's exhaust throttle here, and i have ran it on several motors, I have also used RC carbs and tried to come up with a system that would open and close the carb fast enough for our use. It doesn't work...Scott  I think found out many years ago after much thought and even more testing that the carb open and shut doesn't work for our needs. I was there with him flying this controller and also flew it myself.
The exhaust throttle is instant..and comes on and off , like a 4/2 in power when the plane is manouvered. The cycling on and off is far faster than the carb is,
You can do a square 8 and hear and feel an "instant" bleep in power in every corner, and just as fast it cuts off the extra power.
Scott was and is  very very sharp on things such as this

Regards
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
I can also tell you that you are just spinnging your wheels trying a pilot operated carb in manouvers, It just can't be done by the pilot using any sort of control for him to open and close the carb...we really need to get into "slow motion mode" for any chance of the pilot using a carb for this.

Regards
Randy

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
I wouldn't be too quick about dismissing the exhaust throttle,
I am absolutely, positively, not dismissing it.
I have Scott's exhaust throttle here, and i have ran it on several motors, I have also used RC carbs and tried to come up with a system that would open and close the carb fast enough for our use. It doesn't work...Scott  I think found out many years ago after much thought and even more testing that the carb open and shut doesn't work for our needs. I was there with him flying this controller and also flew it myself.
The exhaust throttle is instant..and comes on and off , like a 4/2 in power when the plane is manouvered. The cycling on and off is far faster than the carb is,
You can do a square 8 and hear and feel an "instant" bleep in power in every corner, and just as fast it cuts off the extra power.
Scott was and is  very very sharp on things such as this
In fact, when Brett mentioned it I thought "hmm", because the two biggest limitations to making a plant do what you want is response speed and linearity, and I sure as heck know that an RC throttle has response speed issues.

So how'd it work compared to an electric?
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
I can also tell you that you are just spinnging your wheels trying a pilot operated carb in manouvers, It just can't be done by the pilot using any sort of control for him to open and close the carb...we really need to get into "slow motion mode" for any chance of the pilot using a carb for this.
Pilot operated?  Nope -- I was wondering what had been done with automatic RPM control of the engines, and why it had not seemed to prosper.
AMA 64232

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
you need a govenor, something like what is used in helis to control the rotor speed so it maintains a constant RP{M at various throttle speeds.
Not too practical to adapt the currently available technology to a C/L model but the idea is kind of interesting.
Dennis

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »
Actually I did in 1959. I had won a three line set-up. Handle,lines And the wierd bellcrank. I had  a  johnson 32 with an exhaust slide speed control. I put it in a "Squaw" I'd been threatening to build for a couple of years. I could slow it down  enough to land with the engine still running, (kinda like fox 35s did without throttle control  HB~>) I did a few wingovers slowing on the downside and afew squares, hourglasses,ect. It was cool but not impressive enough for a more serious effort. Try it, if you can you still buy a 3 line set-up for throttle control.  The extra line wasn't much of a bother. I did notice,"well of course" the controls dont seem to respond as well at the slower speed in "coffin corner" I was still playing with it when someone else crashed the plane. I didnt figure it was worth a rebuild and a second try. But it was intresting.  jim H^^

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »
you need a govenor, something like what is used in helis to control the rotor speed so it maintains a constant RP{M at various throttle speeds.
Not too practical to adapt the currently available technology to a C/L model but the idea is kind of interesting.
Dennis

Tim is a governor dude. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
you need a governor, something like what is used in helis to control the rotor speed so it maintains a constant RP{M at various throttle speeds.
That's what the conversation is about -- it sounds as if it may not be practical at all with a 'regular' RC engine because of response speed.

(The best control systems advice I ever got was when I was still an undergrad: "Change the plant" said old, white-haired professor Riley.  I didn't listen.  Years later, I heard the same advise in different words: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" said old white-haired co-worker Bob.  I listened, but not with much attention.  Years after that, I finally realized two things: one, thorough application of even the cleverest control rules won't always make a system work, and two, listen to the smart old guys).

((you still have to sort out the smart old guys from the other kind, though)).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:25:02 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Howard so did brown "power-mist"  H^^

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
I am absolutely, positively, not dismissing it.In fact, when Brett mentioned it I thought "hmm", because the two biggest limitations to making a plant do what you want is response speed and linearity, and I sure as heck know that an RC throttle has response speed issues.

So how'd it work compared to an electric?

Hi Tim

It is extremely fast, much faster than an electric control such as a servo on a carb.
It has great results, but the gain is not so much that I will add in the complex controls and homemade parts it takes to operate it
Plus it also has a burst of noise (which I like)  to go along with it
Scott was\is very creative and had some really eye opening ideas and actual operating items in CL stunships that as far as I have seen are second to none

Randy

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »

I love it when you speak the native tongue of us controls geeks!
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »

20 hours a day, right now! I asked for the weekend of Golden State off, but that hasn't been approved yet.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
20 hours a day, right now! I asked for the weekend of Golden State off, but that hasn't been approved yet.
Oh Brett.  You don't ask for vacation for important events, you inform the boss that you're going to be gone those days, and ask if he'd like you to clean out your office first.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
It is extremely fast, much faster than an electric control such as a servo on a carb.
It has great results, but the gain is not so much that I will add in the complex controls and homemade parts it takes to operate it
Plus it also has a burst of noise (which I like)  to go along with it
Scott was\is very creative and had some really eye opening ideas and actual operating items in CL stunships that as far as I have seen are second to none
Wait, oh wait -- this was an all mechanical system?  No electronics, sensors, servos, etc.?
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »
Wait, oh wait -- this was an all mechanical system?  No electronics, sensors, servos, etc.?

Yes. As the bellcrank deflected, the exhaust throttle was opened. It's a feedforward system. As far as speed-control systems on conventional engines goes, it was the closest to working of any I have seen.

BTW, anything involving a conventional R/C servo is doomed to failure - not NEARLY the speed necessary. A very good corner takes about 1/4 second, and in that time it has to throttle up and throttle back down again to be maximally effective.  For a feedback control system I would guess you need 10 hz worth of bandwidth, meaning you probably need a sampled-data system that runs at at least 100hz, but preferably much faster. I had also convinced myself that it needed to be an analog system since a 100hz processor seemed beyond the level of techology easily manipulated by modelers (and for modeler money). And everybody knows that anything involving a computer, or more accurately, computer software, is evil and the work of Satan.

Another thing to note is that even the fastest of the current engines only makes about 50 revolutions in a corner (and some much lower), meaning *anything* you do has to significantly alter the engine function on a single rev.  

Fortunately, we have an analog device that operates at the level of a single engine revolution. It's called a tuned pipe. To first approximation it is just a regulator, and doesn't have any lightly-damped poles that you might want to create some overshoot. And it senses the RPM vice the rate of change of RPM, which is probably what you would want to provide a lead signal in an ideal situation. The thermal lag of the rest of the engine provides some overshoot that is probably beneficial, and there are potentially useful non-linearities that arise from thermal effects (i.e. 4-2 break). Its sub-optimal, however it appears to be the closest approach to the solution that has yet been demonstrated.

And as an aside - Howard had it exactly right earlier. We haven't determined in any sound engineering terms what we want out of a stunt engine. Or for that matter, anything else about a stunt plane. I know a particular engine "feels" better than another identical engine running the same rpm, prop, etc. I have no idea why but there's no doubt that it is a real physical effect. The really sharp guys can get it working the way they want and can tell to a remarkable level of resolution when it's wrong. But things like changing the tipweight by 3 grams, or switching between measurably identical propellors, can have a remarkable effect on the end result.  Until we can identify the effects we are taking about, then measure them, we have little chance of analytically determining a better way to go.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 09:59:12 AM »
  Yes. As the bellcrank deflected, the exhaust throttle was opened. It's a feedforward system. As far as speed-control systems on conventional engines goes, it was the closest to working of any I have seen.
Interesting.
  BTW, anything involving a conventional R/C servo is doomed to failure - not NEARLY the speed necessary. A very good corner takes about 1/4 second, and in that time it has to throttle up and throttle back down again to be maximally effective.  
I don't know - current RC servos are pretty fast.  The 50/60Hz frame rate is a problem, though -- the solution may be to rip out the amplifier and just use the electromechanical part.  Does anyone remember the 5-wire 'economy' servos, from EK-Logitrol, I think?  I never actually got within spitting distance of one, but I remember product reviews when I was a kid.
For a feedback control system I would guess you need 10 hz worth of bandwidth, meaning you probably need a sampled-data system that runs at at least 100hz, but preferably much faster. I had also convinced myself that it needed to be an analog system since a 100hz processor seemed beyond the level of techology easily manipulated by modelers (and for modeler money).
9000 RPM is 150 revs/second, and the easiest sampling is the crank once-around.  So there's your bandwidth.  And if you don't mind the control getting a bit scrotty you can exceed the "1/10th sample rate" rule of thumb.  I've found that most control systems "rules" are like the Pirates Code: they're more guidelines, really.

If you really wanted to flog the product engineering you could use a PIC 18x processor from Microchip; there are ones available that will handle this sort of thing for less than a buck each in quantity, and are in 16-pin packages (possibly even eight pins, depending on whether the processor has enough peripherals). 

There are other chips that are almost as small and have enough capability that you don't have to polish every bit of the code; that'd be the sensible thing to start with.
And everybody knows that anything involving a computer, or more accurately, computer software, it evil and the work of Satan.
Ah, an analog guy.  You wouldn't like my book then: http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html.

Fortunately control loops don't take much code, and what code is there acts an awful lot like analog hardware (at least it does if the control loop is going to work well).
Another think to note is that even the fastest of the current engines only makes about 50 revolutions in a corner (and some much lower), meaning *anything* you do has to significantly alter the engine function on a single rev.
That's a problem.  Whether it's surmountable by an electromechanical system is open to debate, but I can't deny it's a problem!
Fortunately, we have an analog device that operates at the level of a single engine revolution. It's called a tuned pipe. To first approximation it is just a regulator, and doesn't have any lightly-damped poles that you might want to create some overshoot. And it senses the RPM vice the rate of change of RPM, which is probably what you would want to provide a lead signal in an ideal situation. The thermal lag of the rest of the engine provides some overshoot that is probably beneficial, and there are potentially useful non-linearities that arise from thermal effects (i.e. 4-2 break). Its sub-optimal, however it appears to be the closest approach to the solution that has yet been demonstrated.
I was thinking about that.  It certainly seems to do the job, and it appears to respond on a cycle-by-cycle basis.  It's a lot bigger than a mini servo with it's guts replaced, though, and it seems to only get stuck onto big engines.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »
There are other chips that are almost as small and have enough capability that you don't have to polish every bit of the code; that'd be the sensible thing to start with.Ah, an analog guy.  You wouldn't like my book then: http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html.

Fortunately control loops don't take much code, and what code is there acts an awful lot like analog hardware (at least it does if the control loop is going to work well).

I am pretty up to speed on embedded sampled-data control system design, thanks.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
I am pretty up to speed on embedded sampled-data control system design, thanks.
I used to work with a guy who wasn't just pro-analog, or even anti-digital, he was digital averse.  You could just see his skin start to crawl any time someone brought up the subject of closing a loop in software.  Really fine control guy, too -- as long as he could stick to analog hardware to make it all work.
AMA 64232

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
The other thing I was always wanting to try, was to get a smoke system to work, you know like the real aerobatic planes. Mynard of "starduster 2" fame, several time winner "Grand National  Fly in @ osh kosh"  wanted to do this with an R.C I had built fpr him in 1987. I said "yeah if you get it to work well. I'd like to put it on a control line plane." I thought it might be useful. I lost contact with him when i moved from san jose. I dont know if he got it to work.    jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »
What we really need is a variable pitch prop, controlled by a flyweight governor, just like the real airplanes.

For years, they couldn't make RC helicopters fly because they were trying to cheap it out and get by with a simplified system.  Once they broke down and made models with all the complexity of the real thing, they had a system that worked.
Paul Smith

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
I used to work with a guy who wasn't just pro-analog, or even anti-digital, he was digital averse.  You could just see his skin start to crawl any time someone brought up the subject of closing a loop in software.  Really fine control guy, too -- as long as he could stick to analog hardware to make it all work.

I know the pros and cons of each type and the vast majority of my work experience has been with sampled-data digital systems driven by software.

I think I have tried to answer all your questions politely and without putting on airs, and I admire your enthusiasm, but, really, I don't need a lot of help deciding what sort of control system architecture I want to use. I provide my analysis and chosen approach for information sake.

You are welcome to choose what you wish, best of luck.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »
What we really need is a variable pitch prop, controlled by a flyweight governor, just like the real airplanes.

For years, they couldn't make RC helicopters fly because they were trying to cheap it out and get by with a simplified system.  Once they broke down and made models with all the complexity of the real thing, they had a system that worked.

The Berringers use a variable pitch prop, but it's not controlled by a flyweight. It intentionally flexes, and if you copy it but don't get the flex correct, it doesn't work worth a flip.

I am not that the same principle used for full-scale necessarily applies for stunt planes. I am not particularly familiar with full-scale variable-pitch props but it was my understanding that they were intended to keep the engine at constant (maximum in performance situations) RPM/power, and compensate for the inefficiencies of a fixed pitch prop as the airspeed varies. Most of the stunt systems we currently use tend to the opposite- the kill tremendous overkill power in level flight by grotesque inefficiency, and then when loaded, the efficiency greatly increases.

But I will admit that my total thought about it was active control of the pitch for airspeed control as a feedback element, and haven't given much thought to the flyball idea. 

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
   I know the pros and cons of each type and the vast majority of my work experience has been with sampled-data digital systems driven by software.

I think I have tried to answer all your questions politely and without putting on airs, and I admire your enthusiasm, but, really, I don't need a lot of help deciding what sort of control system architecture I want to use. I provide my analysis and chosen approach for information sake.

You are welcome to choose what you wish, best of luck.

Geeze Brett, how come you can say that software is the work of the devil without putting a smiley face on the thing, then when I make a facetious comment it's gotta be serious?

I do appreciate the perspective -- I kind of figured that great minds had already dwelled on this problem, but it's always good to review things once in a while, particularly when it may be something subject to Moore's law.
AMA 64232

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
As most of you on this forum know, O.SMax had a RC Pattern Motor with a sophisticated electronic fuel management system for sale for some time. Feedback was quite good. I will try to post a picture of it. Out of production I think.

The last picture is of, I believe a Surpass that was modded to take an 140RX EFI. You could reasonably charactize this an RC FADEC system of sorts in that, I do believe it used a feedback system.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »
Yes, I did :-)

... as everyone else   ;D

It is simple, if your model slows down, prop pulls more and it makes lower fuel pressure and it adds a power. Exactly that I simulated on electric motor as Howard wrote. Higher AoA at higher slippage makes induced drag on prop tips and that is measurable on input power. If you look to graphs in electric forum, you will see very good coincidence of speed variation to input power. So small positive feedback will do just that - it cance slippage - or simulates larger prop. Works well  ... with all ill effects of 4-2-4  >:D

I you speak about something more sophisticated (read more complicated), I also did tests (in deep past, ~25 years back when it was allowed in FAI rules). I did simple sidewise accelerometer hooked to R/C carb. Also worked well, we have also electric simulation, also analyzed in electric forum, also doable with servo on carb, also with all ill efects comming from improper system of work.  VD~

I do not see too much problems to make such a controll system technically, I use PIC12FXXX and I can do 50 measurements and controll action per second on base of last 32 measured values, and there is still lot of time. It is good for relatively slow controlling, but not for controlling "per revolution". However I do not thing that the controll system should be so quick, the last thing I want is change in thrust during the corner. You must remember, that pilot is part of the system, model cannot change its properties during maneuver too quickly, it is not controllable.

So I think we do not have technical problem, but we have problem of system, I did not hear what is that "proper" run yet  n~

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »
Does anyone have a feeling what the step response of a glow motor is?  Is 10Hz correct?  I would bet the requirements are more like 5Hz and 20Hz, not 10Hz and 100Hz. 

Induction motor (electrical) control is about 10Hz, and a glow motor and RC carb and fuel system has to be a lot slower than that.  The prop inertia, and the time to build up suction to increase fuel flow ought to be slow from control system timeframe.

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
Does anyone have a feeling what the step response of a glow motor is?  Is 10Hz correct?  I would bet the requirements are more like 5Hz and 20Hz, not 10Hz and 100Hz. 

Induction motor (electrical) control is about 10Hz, and a glow motor and RC carb and fuel system has to be a lot slower than that.  The prop inertia, and the time to build up suction to increase fuel flow ought to be slow from control system timeframe.
I don't know -- the induction tract before the valve isn't very long, so I'd expect that the crankcase pressure response would be pretty close to rev-to-rev, assuming you could move the throttle that fast.  Any time anyone makes a definitive statement about a model engine, though, you're safe in retorting "two cycles are more complicated than that; they only look easy" -- so it's hard to say without experimenting.  How quickly the change in crankcase pressure translates into torque changes is probably also pretty quick.  The prop makes a heck of a flywheel, though, so that's certainly going to slow things down.

If I pursue this as anything more than a thought experiment the first thing I'd do would be to measure the response of a motor to the throttle opening, taking the speed of the throttle servo into account so I could get an idea of how much of the dynamics is due to the servo and how much is due to the motor.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here