News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:45:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automotive clear coat over Butyrate color dope  (Read 2690 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Automotive clear coat over Butyrate color dope
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
Those of you who use an automotive clear coat over your butyrate dope, I would like to know what you use.  For example, urethane based, acrylic base or lacquer base.  PPG, Dupont...etc.  And most of all is it heavy?  Is it completely fuel proof?  This is of course assuming that there have been no untoward reactions to the butyrate color dope it is going over.

Thanks

Mike

Offline andrew stokey

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
Re: Automotive clear coat over Butyrate color dope
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:59:33 AM »
I know what you are up to  LOL.  Mine came out at 60 oz RTF. Remember good flyer is better than pretty.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
After letting any dope finish set for several weeks if not more, I use the automotive two part clear.  I get it at the local automotive paint store.  Brand name is OMNI.  We had quite a discussion before he would sell it to me.  If mixed right it can be sprayed and not add too much weight.  I do it in one spraying session and try to make it even coverage over the whole plane.  It like anything else takes practice and patience. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
Not at my home computer right now, but short answer, I have used it over dope, with good success, if Randy doesnt answer this one before I get home I will post more,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
Yea, it works for me. Yes, catalyzed polyurethane is heavier than dope. This is largely because it is much, much higher in solids that dope is. The upside is, one medium coat and you're done. No need or desire to "build it up". So in the end, it's not much or any heavier than dope. It is much more fuel resistant than dope. But it's not fuel proof. Not much is. I had an airplane upside down in a rack to work on it. Hadn't realized that raw fuel had leaked and was sitting on to finish of the nose until I turned it over. The clear was pretty crinkled, but raw fuel had been sitting on it for some 20 minutes. It's not fuel "proof", that's certain. But it's much more rugged overall and can tolerate spilled fuel that's wiped off in a reasonable amount of time.

I've had no issue with shooting this stuff over most anything: urethane colors. water based urethane colors or dope colors. I've waited as long as a month before shooting it over dope and as short as a day. So far, no ill effect that way.

I've used 2 to 1 Omni for quite awhile but plan to try some new stuff on the next plane. It's a 4 to 1 stuff that is a new economy grade from DuPont. We'll see what that looks like.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
I used to use PPG DCA468 and before that Dupont 380s, both went over SIG and Brodak's with no problem. I can't get either anymore, but I have found Dupont 480s. This is premixed, you put it in the gun and shoot, no mixing. This is what was on Derek's Evolution and it obviously buffed out well. You can't find it in the south, but is available above the Mason-Dixon line.
Dale

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »
I used to use PPG DCA468 and before that Dupont 380s, both went over SIG and Brodak's with no problem. I can't get either anymore, but I have found Dupont 480s. This is premixed, you put it in the gun and shoot, no mixing. This is what was on Derek's Evolution and it obviously buffed out well. You can't find it in the south, but is available above the Mason-Dixon line.
Dale

Thanks, Dale.  Is it what they call a single stage urethane?  I have used single stage colors on projects (not model airplanes) and it is a great product in many aspects.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »
I bet what Randy is referring to is Nason brand by DuPont.  I've used it a bunch, over dope, Krylon, and bare wood, (maple and walnut) on both airplanes and $2000.00 custom guitars.  No problems for three years now, and not all that expensive if you have the high usage demand I have had.  I think I pay around 30 bucks for a quart with accelerator if I remember right.
Just be sure and use a top quality mask and stay out of the over-spray, it's bad stuff on our bodies!
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here