News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: U.S. Military lettering font, what's the proper name?  (Read 64883 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
U.S. Military lettering font, what's the proper name?
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
 What is the exact proper name for the lettering font used by the U.S. Military? The photo here is of a sheet from Major Decal and shows the font I'm talking about.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: U.S. Military lettering font, what's the proper name?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
What is the exact proper name for the lettering font used by the U.S. Military? The photo here is of a sheet from Major Decal and shows the font I'm talking about.

Amarillo USAF is at least one of them.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »
According to the specification, "Modified block letter form"

Go here, http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL+SPECS+%28MIL-I%29/MIL-I-18464G_6494/, download the PDF, and thumb down 41 pages to figure 2.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
 Brett,

I typed "Amarillo USAF font" into Google and came up with an awsome site called dafont.com. There it was, the Amarillo USAF font is VERY close to what I've been after.
 dafont.com looks like a really cool site. I was able to pick a font, type in a test word and hit submit and get a preview of what it looks like.

I guess I knew it but while researching this I'm re-discovering that there are even slight differences in the fonts that our military has used depending on the era. I'm searching for what would be proper from the beginning of WWII through the 50's and maybe 60's. Just being picky, and determined. ;D

Tim,

I tried your suggestion and only came up with one page showing a font that is close but not quite right for the time period I'm looking for. It looked like what they use today, just slightly different than WWII through the 60's.

THANKS!!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:36:03 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here