News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:53:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apertix question  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Apertix question
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »
In the "Time Goes By" section, there is a great photo of Jerry Worth's "Apertix".  Are there plans of it available?  If not, just how close is the USA-1 to it.  There are differences as noted.   D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Apertix question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:20:34 AM »
Tht Apterix predates the USA - 1. I was told that Billy liked it so much, that he borrowed a lot from it, making his USA-1 almost identicle to the Apterix. Differences are minor. There are a pair of them being built out here in my area. Great looking design.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
Tht Apterix predates the USA - 1. I was told that Billy liked it so much, that he borrowed a lot from it, making his USA-1 almost identicle to the Apterix. Differences are minor. There are a pair of them being built out here in my area. Great looking design.  H^^

Even though they now look very much alike , They are 2 totally differant Airplanes, and Both flew at the 1969 NATs.  I do not know which one was built first, I would guess they were both built near the same time.
  In 1969 Billy liked the look of the Apterix so much he took his( already built and flying) USA-1 home and changed the rudder and tips, plus the color scheme on his USA-1  to match the Apterix,
 Some think Billy built an Apterix after seeing Jerry at the 69 NATs... he didn't  he just changed the look of the ship he was flying.

I can't blame him  Jerry Worth had an incredible  eye for stunt ship design, I still marvel at his talent in that department

Below is Billy at the 1969 NATs with the unchanged USA-1,  then  the other picture after the repaint and rudder-tip job

Regards
Randy

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »
That's how I understood, it based on previous readings. Also the Apterix isn't an I beamer, it it??  Also I believe the wing to be thicker at the root than the USA-1 D>K

Lots of full ribs but not an I beam.  Construction like the Mirage 3  Airfoil a we bit thicker.  Personally I thought the airplane was better than the USA but then there was a little matter about the pilot...!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
That's how I understood, it based on previous readings. Also the Apterix isn't an I beamer, it it??  Also I believe the wing to be thicker at the root than the USA-1 D>K
Here is another closer look at the wing from my slightly out of focus slide.
Don Shultz

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »
Jerry Worth had that Apterix at the 68 Olathe Nats.  After the Nats, I sent a note to a friend that suggested that Jerry should have been recieved the Matching Tool Box Award.

The color of the photos is starting to fade.  I have the original slides that might be sharper if anyone is interested.

Keith

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:19:59 AM »
Jerry Worth had that Apterix at the 68 Olathe Nats.  After the Nats, I sent a note to a friend that suggested that Jerry should have been recieved the Matching Tool Box Award.

The color of the photos is starting to fade.  I have the original slides that might be sharper if anyone is interested.

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks for posting the pictures, looks like Jerry need red and blue pinstrips on his pants and shirt :-)

Jerry had some amazing airplanes and I think his eye for styling design was incredible
I wonder where you could find plans to the Apertix?
Regards
Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »
>>The Mirage used a forrest of balsa trees for its ribs.<<

Yea, 74 ribs to be exact. I built a Mirage II. It's a Mirage II in the picture, the III had the trike gear and the little scoop behind the canopy. It lasted exactly 3 flights. Long story, but the short version is, don't fly in constricted areas in the wind where a lawn umbrella might blow through.

I would love to see plans for the Apterix. I know it's different from the USA-1 aerodynamically (though very close in aesthetics). Be interesting to see the differences.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »

Keith

Keith

Do you remember what motor Jerry used in this ship? Did he use the same motor in 68 and 69?

Regards
Randy

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »

Keith

Do you remember what motor Jerry used in this ship? Did he use the same motor in 68 and 69?

Regards
Randy

Randy,

I really have no idea what the engine was.  I do not think the ST 46 was yet in vogue at that time.  I do not know if he was aligned that close to Bill Werwage, but Bill had a "K&B 40" in his Super Ares.  That Apterix is a lat of airplane for anythig less than a good .46 or a super strong "40".

Jerry's Feb 69 construction article for the Mirage does not mention the engine he used for the Mirage.

By the way, Jerry was 3rd at that 68 Olathe Nats with the Apterix.  He states in the 69 article that the Mirage flew better.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
Randy,

I really have no idea what the engine was.  I do not think the ST 46 was yet in vogue at that time.  I do not know if he was aligned that close to Bill Werwage, but Bill had a "K&B 40" in his Super Ares.  That Apterix is a lat of airplane for anythig less than a good .46 or a super strong "40".

Jerry's Feb 69 construction article for the Mirage does not mention the engine he used for the Mirage.

By the way, Jerry was 3rd at that 68 Olathe Nats with the Apterix.  He states in the 69 article that the Mirage flew better.
Keith..
YES!
I can also remember Jerry mentioning to me while sitting there with him in the staging area...We were talking about what my old Sting Ray would look like or maybe how I could add some extra side area. He mentioned that his Mirage had a sub dorsal or a sub fin under the aft. portion of the fuselage which added some added stiffness-weight saving and  "bennies" that might help flying in those infamous Kansas wind flying conditions.
(back to the topic.)
I would truly love to see some enhanced re scans of your wonderful slide collection of not only that Apterix...but also wonder if you might have a slide of that Mirage 3 that was the brain chillin' of my Avenger fuselage sub dorsal.

Here is a couple of rescans at med. 600 resolution on my Epson V300 scanner of your beautiful Olatha Nats 68 wind fly model.
If you'd trust me with them...I would gladly rescan and enhance those old slides for you.

Those Navy gents that were standing next to us at that practices session was right on the money...when they saw me take this photo of you...holding out your make shift wiping rag wind sock into that stiff Kansas wind and...when one of the young officers mentioned that:
WE COULD SET OUR WATCHES BY THE WIND EACH MORNING IN THE SUMMER TIME.

Don Shultz

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »
I have only a couple of ST's left that are still strong runners...
A very early  Bob Wilder tweakedST-40 and a later version ST-46. The only outside visual diffence that I can see on the case is that the exhaust port opening has a flat surface to allow a different muffler design...The earlier BW "enhanced" 40's exhaust has a different muffler attach points that are set back slightly from the exhaust port exit?

The 40 is slightly lighter in weight and has a smaller restrictor venturi than the later model ST-46
I had been running the Wilder ST- 40 on the old  Super Chip...since replacing both worn out, once awesome BIG ART OS 35s & 40s.
The lighter weight cased Wilder 40 ran considerable smoother and more constant and used less fuel than the heavier & later Stock ST-46 shown here in these photos.

However the differences might have been due to various mufflers and fuels etc.....etc?
Bottom line: :!
Perhaps almost any engine available today...would out perform either of these old used and sometime abused ST 40-46's???? n~ H^^

Hi Shultzie

All of the pictures you show of the 40 and 46 are late model ones, I have many of all versions and my 40s weigh as much as the 46s. Of course the very early 40s and 46s  weigh much less, some almost an ounce less

And your right, many of the modern motors perform much better and are much smoother running
Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here