News:

• March 19, 2024, 03:30:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Universal U/Tronics Control Handle  (Read 16133 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Universal U/Tronics Control Handle
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
How to build a Universal U/Tronics Control single channel handle with a Full Power "Passing Gear" trigger.

The two drawings attached show that the handle can be used with either a Glow engine or electric motor / ESC setup.

The basic part of the standard U/Tronics Control Single Channel unit is built into a box with 4 small rechargeable NiCad or NIMH batteries, a 10K ohm potentiometer (Pot), slide or rotary and two wires that will go to a micro switch.  The batteries I use are 300 MAH rated batteries an should be good for almost 30 hours of operation between recharges. 

The micro switch has three terminals marked NO (Normally Open), NC (Normally Closed) and C (Common).  We only use the C and NC terminals on the micro switch. 

Look at the top half of either schematic drawing, they are the same, and note that all three terminals are being used on the Pot.  The proper wiring of the Pot, either Slide or Rotary, are shown on the attached drawing.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Online Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Universal U/Tronics Control Handle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Hi Clancy,

This is a very nice idea, and well executed. My guess is that our modern electric power systems with easily adjusted, accurate RPM settings without going through the lines have addressed this issue in a way that will continue to attract many CL modelers.

Does your system require insulated lines? If so I would assume the drag would be a major drawback?

Does your system allow for accurate RPM changes during the flight? Has anyone ever used it in CLPA competition?

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your other post on the open forum, it looks like your product is for one special CL event. My mistake, I thought you were implying that it was for CL in general (CLPA, etc.). This "special use" explains why I never knew what it was. ;-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
Rudy
My system requires insulated lines but to not have the excessive air drag I now use standard flying lines coated with 2 coats of Polyurethane.  They have lasted the whole year without a problem.  Unless you are doing aerobatics the lines would not normally touch anyway.  My system was originally designed for scale and works fine for Navy Carrier.  

As for general sport flying I like it as I can do touch and go's several times in a single flight.  Also it is a great help when training a new or retread flier.  If they start getting dizzy, we can reduce the speed until they are OK or we can shut it off and land at any time.  No short tanking required for test hops.

Also if you goof and loose line tension you can still kill the engine, before it hits the pavement, Hopefully!!

One modeler asked for and I supplied a design using my unit to control the retracts in his PAMPA stunter!!!
After takeoff and level flight, if everything is running right, you close a switch on the handle to retract the gear.  When the engine quits the gear extends automatically.

Any other ideas you want me to look into??

Clancy

Note that Little Marvin has his right hand on the throttle control rod!
Little Marvin knows what speed to fly that Super Ringmaster powered by an OS 25 FSR.
CCA
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:49:30 PM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Online Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
Clancy,

Thank you for your complete answers. I fly electric CLPA, but your system sounds like a good solution for the applications you mentioned. :-)

Rudy
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
Hey Clancy,

I'd be happy to comment on your U/Tronics system:

It's GREAT!!!! I haven't commented here prevously because it just works exactly as I thought it would.  (I have raved about U/Tronics in other posts)  It's not restricted for 'special use'.  All you electric CL sport fliers get this system installed now, you won't regret it.  Just the added level of safety alone should make it manditory.  Only the pilot has full control when the motor starts and stops .  When ever I read about someone smoking an ESC or motor due to a prop strike I can't help but think they should have had your U/Tronics installed.  It's saved my equipment a few times.  Even CLPA - going to maiden and trim that new ship, U/Tronics is the best way.  Training a newbie? U/Tronics!

Insulated lines to draggy?  I haven't had any issues, hardly noticable, and I fly 1/2A!  If you fly electric, it's a no brainer, forget about a timer - throttle control is the only way to go.

How's that , Clancy?

PS - here's a shot of my control handle:

Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Love that photo of the Ring Master pilot working the throttle-very neat!
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here