News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RCV 58  (Read 5664 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
RCV 58
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Sunday I drug my RCV 58 in my Pathfinder out to fly. I haven't flown it in about a year because I always didn’t like the power to weight ratio. It flew the plane OK but nothing to brag about. I stuck some YS 20 20 in the tank and the engine came to life. Before with 10 % with a 12 x 5 prop at 9000 was about best it could do. Now it would cut off if I tried to run it at 9000, at 10500 it was still rich but I was afraid to turn it any faster with all those gears spinning around. next time out I go out I will try some larger props . I couldn’t believe the difference in the power. I can see a RCV powered T-Rex in the future.
Willis H^^
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:43:39 PM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: RCV 56
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:38:08 AM »
Good thing that the T-Rex has the R/C mount so you can swap it out if something happens!  From behind the airplane, the gear howl on startup is incredible!  That, and it made some scary sounds during the flight-kind of sounded like a Winston Cup motor that has swallowed a valve!
Steve

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Might want to try a 6.5 or 7 pitch prop with YS 20-20 and if the RC carb is still on, turn it down till you get the lap times you want. This will take advantage of the 4 stroke grunt, keep the revs down and maybe prolong it's life.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
Bob
What surprised me was the power it had during the maneuvers. Before it had the power of a strong OS Surpass 40, now more like a Saito 56 or larger. It caught me by surprise but the next time I go out I’ll have some different props and fuels. maybe I didn’t waist my money after all. Humm did I read somewhere not to use more then 10% nitro? LL~
Willis

Willis Swindell

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
I flew the RCV again this sunday I used 70 ft. lines 20 20 fuel a 12x5 three blade prop at 8900 RPM  I am one happy camper it run great with all the power I need. I let some one else fly it, now I understand what they are telling me about the unusual noise it makes. sounds like a bad bearing in a alternator from outside the circle.
Willis

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: RCV 58
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
Those things have a 2 : 1 reduction box in there !

So you need two props ,or one twice the blade area of a knrmal injun .

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
The cylinder rotates with a hole at the top of the chamber that aligns with the intake or exhaust port at the required time, the crankshaft has a gear pressed on forward of the crankpin that meshes with a gear cut into the base of the cylinder and also drives a piston up and down within the cylinder. look up RCV engines Ltd., they have a good cutaway view of the design.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »
Those things have a 2 : 1 reduction box in there !

So you need two props ,or one twice the blade area of a knrmal injun .

The RCV linear(?) engines have the 2:1 reduction the "right angle (normal looking) engine is 1:1.  The sleeve valve layout results in a much lower profile than the normal overhead valve 4-stroke.

Dumb question: is it conceivable that the engine, which sat idle for a year DOES have a bearing going out???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Willis Swindell

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 08:30:46 PM »
Dennis
There are two types of RCV a reduction gear one and a rotary cylinder one. I have the rotary cylinder. The first time I started the engine it scared me so bad I yanked the fuel line off because of the noise it made. I was going to send it back but decided I would run the engine until it blew up then they would have to send me a new engine. But after the engine runs for about 20 seconds it calms down to a whine of the gears. The noise isn’t as bad as we make it sound but the first few seconds are scary. I love it at a contest when I say i’m ready and
 hit it with a starter people stop in their tracks and stare. I have seen judges jump up from their chairs when it first starts. I had built one of my Phoebus for the engine but with
 10 % fuel it didn’t have enough power to fly a good pattern and finally met its demise. The 20% fuel seems to have brought it to life. I seem to remember not to use over 10 % . I’m going back and check my paper work.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:36:42 AM »
The RCV engines are unique in that all valving is done by the rotating cylinder (sleeve), driven at one-half crankshaft speed by bevel gears as correctly stated.
There are three ports in the block (case) and one in the sleeve. The sleeve rotates such that intake port is exposed on the downstroke, drawing in fuel and air.
Continued rotation closes the intake port and the piston starts upward on the compression stroke. At some point near TDC, the cylinder port aligns with the glow plug port in the block, exposing the compressed fuel/air mix to the plug, causing ignition. Rotation continues and the piston travels downward on the power stroke with all ports closed. Somewhere around BDC, the sleeve opens the exhaust port in the block and upward movement of the piston scavenges the exhaust charge.
There are the four strokes of the cycle.
Aside from that, the version that Willis is using operates as a conventional four-stroke engine, taking power directly off the crankshaft.

Now for the interesting one, the AXIAL  version. In this configuration, the only power taken from the crankshaft is to rotate the sleeve.
The power to drive the prop (output) is taken from the top of the rotating sleeve. At ONE-HALF crankshaft speed. 
At the top of the engine, there is a protruding drive feature from the top of the sleeve, similar to that on the front of a conventional two or four stroke engine - a thrust washer and a threaded shaft.
The prop is actually attached to the rotating sleeve.
Since staring an RCV engine can be difficult, there is a female hex drive on one end of the crankshaft, protruding through the case.
You fit the supplied male hex driver to your electric starter and just plug it into the female drive.
Since the output torque is twice that of the crankshaft and half the speed, you can swing a huge high-pitch prop.

Bob Z.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
would it be enough for the T-Rex tho?

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 06:31:43 PM »
I don't think it will handle the T-Rex.
I have MANY flights on the RCV 58 and I would estimate the power as comparable to a SAITO 50, maybe a bit less.
As a point of interest, the last plane I flew it on flew just as well with a Surpass 40.
I never used more than 10% nitro - maybe I just needed more.
Also, the RCV was pretty thirsty and VERY difficult to hand start.

Bob Z.

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
Sunday I drug my RCV 58 in my Pathfinder out to fly. I haven't flown it in about a year because I always didn’t like the power to weight ratio. It flew the plane OK but nothing to brag about. I stuck some YS 20 20 in the tank and the engine came to life. Before with 10 % with a 12 x 5 prop at 9000 was about best it could do. Now it would cut off if I tried to run it at 9000, at 10500 it was still rich but I was afraid to turn it any faster with all those gears spinning around. next time out I go out I will try some larger props . I couldn’t believe the difference in the power. I can see a RCV powered T-Rex in the future.
Willis H^^

I see you have a venturi set up on your RCV 58.  Can you describe what you did, venturi diameters, etc.  Looks like a pretty basic venturi setup.  Pics are always good too! #^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here