News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak's - Brad Walker's T-Rex Building  (Read 10056 times)

Offline John Ashford

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Brodak's - Brad Walker's T-Rex Building
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »
Guys and gals,

I've probably put together a dozen ARFs for customers over the past years.  Change Bell Crank, leadouts, hinges etc. etc etc.

The T-Rex ARF represents the "next generation".  I changed nothing. Also, the fit of this kit was as good as it gets.  Stab absolutely in line with the wing and thrust line. If a "newbie" bought this kit and followed the instruction he would have a great plane.  With an  Enya .61 up front swinging a three blade Bolly prop it weighs 58 ozs.

Later,  John

Offline Bruce Hautamaki

• Lieutenant
Re: Brodak's - Brad Walker's T-Rex Building
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »
You would Have to change the front end "looks wise" for sure and where would you get a bolly?? Ugly Front End!!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
Ya know, it looks kinda like a T-bolt and kinda like a T-Bird 2, but not as good as either. I know Brad wanted to save the weight and $ of a spinner, but spinners do have a good use...nice adapter for an "electric finger". Seems like a good product, but I haven't seen the specs on it...area, will it take a pipe, etc., and haven't even seen where to look for that information...link to website, etc.  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:54:33 AM »
I just sent this to John at Brodaks.

Could you please add:

"easily accepts side exhaust 2 stroke engine, rear exhaust 2 stroke engine (with or without tuned pipe), 4 stroke engine, or electric power"

to the online catalog item for the T-Rex?

Bradley Walker

I think you will find all of the other information here:

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=8716

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:14:50 AM »
It's not just a good product, it's a great product. I didn't really care for the nose either but after seeing one or two it grows on you and now to me it's looks fine. If the nose wasn't designed the way it is it would be allot more difficult to adapt almost any power plant imaginable. Fox makes an aluminum spinner nut in any thread you desire and Sullivan makes a starter cone specifically for spinner nuts. Not having a spinner is a non issue.

However if you really dislike the nose it's pretty easy to simply cut it off at the front former and build it however you want. The RC engine mounts allow one to do whatever suits his fancy. If you are worried about using RC mounts don't be, I have built and flown 4 stunt ships using RC mounts holding fire breathing 4 strokes and I'm sold on the darn things.

And no I am not associated in any beneficial way with this airplane, Like John, I've put together a bunch of ARF's/ARC's and helped several others from the Score to the Super Clown. I know a good thing when I have my hands on it.

Kim Doherty

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 11:20:27 AM »
You would Have to change the front end "looks wise" for sure and where would you get a bolly?? Ugly Front End!!

I agree!! What was Bradley ThINKiNg!! Why would you ever want a PUG nose plane??? I'll bet that big hole really limits performance. No way anything like that would ever win a W/C (let alone two) I just can't respect someone who would be so lazy as to leave the nose like that.

Kim

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
I agree!! What was Bradley ThINKiNg!! Why would you ever want a PUG nose plane??? I'll bet that big hole really limits performance. No way anything like that would ever win a W/C (let alone two) I just can't respect someone who would be so lazy as to leave the nose like that.

Kim

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
The Skywriter was indeed the inspiration for the nose.  That and Billy's P-47.  The nose was actually a real hard part to relay to the builders.  It took a lot of work.  I eventually had to make them a 3D model for them to understand the nose construction.  Sadly, I no longer have those models.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 06:33:32 PM »
Spinners are also a good cushion for crankshafts, but they can also be a PITA if they're not setup carefully. They can easily cost you an attempt if the prop kicks loose on an official start-up.

When I got my 2Star .60bb (3rd hand, off SSW's Classifieds, from Hawk Hawkins)  it came with the OEM spinner. Sorta spherical...really ugly! But such a clever design...the prop actually sits on the prop driver, while the spinner backplate sits in a notch in the prop driver. I liked the idea so much that I modified a Tru-Turn clone to do the same thing. It's a bit of a tricky setup for a mini-lathe, but it can be done. Here's a couple of pics. I plan to do the same thing to my OSs, Magnums, Super Tigres and Stalkers, using Tru-Turn clones, Randy Aero, and Brodak spinners. It can be done with the Grape Lanes aluminum backplate spinners, but the spinner b.p. would have to be pressed,  or JB Welded onto the prop driver. Reliability comes from attention to details, generally.  H^^ Steve  
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »
A spinner works very well with this plane if you want one! Look at a Sukoi, they all have spinners on open cowls along with many radial powered Pitt's biplanes. I use them on almost all my open nose glo motored planes and any scale rc that are supposed to have them whether electric or glow.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
You absolutely can use a spinner.  I think it would look great.  Considering the weight of the production models I do not think weight is issue.  There is no way I would have anticipated finished weights in the middle 50's.  This is not a small plane!!!  I might put a coat of clear on my arf to add a couple ounces.

I always figured the tr would be fine with a good 51.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
Btw I do appreciate the kind words...  Bringing a new design into the stunt crowd is pretty scary.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »
Great job ! 

And a real steal at only $199.

You certainly took your time to get it right before bringing it to market now.  Many people have seen you testing the prototypes since late in 1969.
Paul Smith

Offline Bruce Hautamaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
     It IS a steal @ 199.00! The front end is growing on me! It is functional.

Nice Job! Bruce

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »
Just FYI

I have two T-Rex protos.  Both are in the box.  One is covered in clear SLC film (ready to paint) and the other is covered in Ultracote per the stock ARF configuration.

These are pre-production models and have very little wrong with them.  The SLC model is an earlier proto has a few more issues, but nothing that cannot be easily overcome.  It will take a little extra work over the production models to get them going.  Both are beautiful and super light.  The SLC model does not have engine mounts.

I will offer both for a total of $250 for pick up or you pay shipping....  or make offer.

email please.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:57:51 PM by Bradley Walker »
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Chris Berardi

• New Pilot
  • I love to learn, but dislike being taught
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »
I just saw these were back in stock at Brodak's web site - as of 5/25/2015. After reading articles here and on other web pages, I'm going to get one.
Next purchase will be a suitable engine for it. I was thinking of the Enya 60CXL... but I also saw the reasonably prices (actually, more than reasonable) Aviastars on the Brodak site.

Control line engines seem to be hard to come by in the larger sizes, but the Enya and Aviastar are available now.

Chris

Chris Berardi
Fort Worth, TX

Offline Chris Berardi

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »
Well, I went ahead and spoiled myself. I purchased an Enya 61 CXLS and a Brodak/Brad Walker T-Rex. I've been flying helicopters for 15 years almost exclusively plus Senior Pattern and some IMAC. I hadn't flown control line since I was a teenager though I built and flew many classics by Goldberg, Sterling, Keil Kraft, Veron.

One thing that turned me on to CL again was watching Windy and tons of YouTube videos, some of the Brodak fly-in and others showing combat, team racing and stunt. To me, stunt is a wonderful avenue to explore - the equipment needs are modest, the models are readily available and the videos of some of this flying are inspirational. Also, I'd like to credit Shug Emery for his series of fun and informative videos - if you watch through them you can see how his flying has evolved and improved.

Coming from the complexities of helicopters (and the expense), you would think that CL was simpler and less demanding. That's a misconception I probably had until watching some of the videos and reading articles. While definitely less expensive, it is every bit as demanding and rewarding as flying my Hirobo Turbulence. I think the beauty of CL - the models, motors and flight patterns deserve more recognition by our fellow modelers. Fortunately, after a period of hibernation, it seems that CL is finding somewhat of a resurgence. I'm seeing that at my club and now in Model Aviation.

I've actually been talking with fellow r/c modelers who are now actively interested in CL and we've all purchased models at swap meets, from Brodak and others - I also got a Sakitumi from Walter at BuiltRightFlyRight - what an incredible kit! But, in my humble opinion, ARF's will be what get pilots "in the door" to control line flying, and punchy web sites that show and tell the fun and excitement of CL flying. Not to say that the Brodak site is boring, but you can barely get a good look at the models there as the photos are small, and I don't think I've found much in the way of videos there either.

Stunthanger is a great site, once you get past the CAPTCHA which I found nearly impossible to complete - there are CL resources spread around, but I still find myself doing a lot of searching for information, and especially places to buy models and particularly engines.

I sure hope we can get a few more articles into Model Aviation and distribute more electronic magazines to promote interest - sure, I understand that you have to be a PAMPA member to get current issues, but if you want to stimulate interest have more than one dated issue as a sample; we're trying to encourage people here - not lock them out.

I don't know if anyone has done an article for the T-Rex or any of the Brodak models or ARFS in Model Aviation for example, but I bet that an article such as that would generate yet more interest.

Despite the technology all around us in the forms of electronics and computers, massive online gaming and so forth, I think there is plenty of space for CL. We just have to foster the interest.

Chris
Chris Berardi
Fort Worth, TX

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 11:25:27 AM »
Welcome to the site.

Just wished you hadn't resurrected a 6 year old thread in which the original thread starter is no longer among the living.

Offline Chris Berardi

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
Dude - you are coming off somewhat strong.
This is a forum - where the whole value of threads and archives is that they are instantly available.

I bet if I had posted this as a new thread, you would have been the one to tell me to do a search before posting.

As to whether someone is living or deceased, I simply have no way of knowing that - if you have a morbid fascination with tracking this stuff, then start a thread indicating where a person may post or not. I've never heard of such a comment before and I'm not sure whether you are intending to threaten me or what angle you are taking with such a rude public comment.

If you objected to my post and had a valid reason, simply contact the moderator or have the thread closed - are you familiar with how moderated forums work?

There is no apology for me to make here, I think the onus is on you.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris Berardi
Fort Worth, TX

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »
Welcome back, good choice in plane, engine. Looking forward to flight report.
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »
If we are talking about resurrecting old threads, I strongly advise you to do a search function about the T-Rex before you build your example in order to get the most out of the model.  Its a great flying plane if built right.
Steve

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
The problem with search engines is that each keyword results in its own response.  Combining keywords to further refine the search only results in more unrelated responses.  I find the only way to zero in on a topic is to use just one keyword.  Often, that doesn't describe the topic sufficiently.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
Chris,
Some of these guys on here are a little old and cranky. Go to the ARF Forum and they'll be a ton of T Rex threads. The Open forum is a little bit too general for the build and fly stuff you're going to want to find and use for your build.
Good to know some SPA guys are coming over. I went the other direction, C/L Stunt to CPA (we don't have any SPA stuff in SoCal). Similar events and disciplines, Dallas/Ft. Worth has a big, active bunch in Stunt, you should have fun.
Chris...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
Yep, old and cranky. I knew John Ashford well and seeing his name every time I visit the forum.. well... hard to explain.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 06:36:32 PM »
Yes John Ashford was one of the best.   He is still missed as well as quite a few others.   At our age we are allowed to be a little cranky if not senile.   So the newbies to the forum, welcome and kind of ignore some of us that have been around a while.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
All of the old threads from old friends that are pulled back up just means they live on.
AMA 12366

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »
  ... Amen!
AMA 11416

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
Re:
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »
I ain't ded

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

-George Bernard Shaw

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here