News:

• April 15, 2024, 10:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shoestring, Cosmic Wind, Buster - GOODYEAR, Midget , F1 Plane Dimensions  (Read 6844 times)

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Hi,

I have been picking up various books on Air Racing so that I can build some Midget Racing planes. This involves the scaling up of the 3 view drawings.

Often there is a scale on the drawing and I start by focusing on that portion when I scale up the drawing on the computer. The issue that I am finding is that the "Scale" ruler on the 3 view is usually not accruate. Some are close and others are not. (Some drawings have the WS and L numbers on them but the ones I have do not....so this is all I have to go by.)

What I have found to be rarely accurate is the published length of the aircraft. These always work out to be shorter than what the "sources" say this number is. Often the Wingspans listed are the same between sources but the the overall length often differs.  One to 1.5 feet is alot on these small planes.

SO FAR I just use the Wingspan number for scaling the drawing. This appears to be a good practice.

What I would like to do before I start making saw dust is compare numbers on the actual 1-1 aircraft. I am sure that all of you have libraries of aircraft books (I just started mine... 2 books) and could reply with the numbers you see published in your resource info.  

I am looking for the Wingspan and Length on the following planes.

1)   Shoestring (Original plane)
           a.   WS 19’
           b.   Length 17’ 8”

2)   Lil Mike
           a.   WS 17’ + ?
           b.   Length ?

3)   Cosmic Wind (Original low wing version on the 1st 3 planes, Minnow etc)
           a.   WS 18’ 11”
           b.   Length 17’

4)   Ole Tiger
           a.   WS 14’ 1”
           b.   Length 15’ OR 16’8” OR 17’ 2”  (I think 15 is probably accurate)

5)   Buster  ?

6)   Bonzo  ?

Thanks for the help and sharing of information!
Mark
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:15:33 PM by Mark Misegadis »

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: Shoestring, Cosmic Wind, Buster - GOODYEAR, Midget , F1 Plane Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »
Mark, Goodyear & Firmuls One Air Racing 1947–1967 Volume One and Goodyear & Firmuls One Air Racing 1967–1995 Volume One Two written by Robert S Hirsch are excellent resources for these racers as well.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Shoestring, Cosmic Wind, Buster - GOODYEAR, Midget , F1 Plane Dimensions
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:26:21 PM »
Mark, Goodyear & Firmuls One Air Racing 1947–1967 Volume One and Goodyear & Firmuls One Air Racing 1967–1995 Volume One Two written by Robert S Hirsch are excellent resources for these racers as well.

Capt. Hirsch is an aero-historian. He has published several books, including a 2 volume set on Formula I. He also offers scale 3-views of most-if-not-all of the Formula I planes. Very reasonably priced, I should add.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here