stunthanger.com
News:
CLICK HERE---->    <----CLICK HERE

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 22, 2014, 05:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Big Art's Dewoitine 520 / A Possible Nostalgia 30 kit  (Read 4562 times)
builditright
Trade Count: (0)
Admiral

Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.

« on: August 03, 2009, 12:16:06 PM »

okay guys and gals let's try this one on for size... 

Dewoitine 520 for will be for the Nostalgia 30 event.

designed by : Big Art Adamisin in 1970
wing span: 56"
area approx: 570
eng .40-.46
built-up fully sheeted wing

If anybody is interested in Art's Dewoitine 520 as a kit?
send email

to get on the possible waiting list, send emails to: dewoitine520@builtrightflyright.com

* Dewoitine520.jpg (83.2 KB, 600x745 - viewed 701 times.)

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright
visit us on the web at: http://www.builtrightflyright.com

Dave Adamisin
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »

Remember, it must be flown shirtless....... Shocked
john e. holliday
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »

You don't want to see me without a shirt and I don't wear shorts either.  Next time you see me I will show you why.   Layingdown Layingdown LL~DOC Holliday

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

We are never too old to learn something stupid.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530
Matt Colan
N-756355
AMA Member
Admiral

Matthew Colan mcolan94 flycl756355
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

Remember, it must be flown shirtless....... Shocked

Well then, I just lost interest in the kit  Layingdown

Matt

"An adventure isn't an adventure if you know where you're going" Windy Urtnowski

"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared." Eddie Rickenbacker

Defintion of Sarcasm:  Sarcasm (n.) - the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it.
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

More shots of the Dewoitine. Same location, avec shirt....

* D520_bottom.jpg (68.32 KB, 585x755 - viewed 323 times.)

* D520_top.jpg (62.9 KB, 590x672 - viewed 292 times.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:56:30 AM by Dave Adamisin » Logged
Mike Gretz
ACE
Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:58:55 AM »

Dave-
Gave those great old pics a little photoshop treatment.  Helped some.  Were they slides or prints?
I've got a good pic of Big Art's Dewoitine somewhere are home.  Will find it
Mike G.

* D520_top.jpg (68.09 KB, 571x666 - viewed 224 times.)

* D520_bottom.jpg (89.74 KB, 569x748 - viewed 201 times.)
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:55:55 AM »

Dave-
Gave those great old pics a little photoshop treatment.  Helped some.  Were they slides or prints?
I've got a good pic of Big Art's Dewoitine somewhere are home.  Will find it
Mike G.
H Mike. Thanks for the help. They were Poloroids......
Mike Gretz
ACE
Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »

1970 NATS Glenview, IL

* Art_Adamisin_Dewoitine.jpg (91.23 KB, 647x535 - viewed 394 times.)
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 02:26:37 PM »

That is a great shot Mike. Thanks. For the sharpe eyed please note the lovely Marie, hat in hand, guarding the starting box......
Bill Hummel
Commander

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »

This Big Art ship really looks great!  Any chance plans are currently available, eh? 

ama 72090
L0U CRANE
AMA Member
Captain

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:11:01 AM »

All,

I did a green box Nobler in 1969-70 that was bashed so the fuse profile followed the D-520 more closely than the Adamisin model shown here. The plan views were already quite close. I recall seeing his in a mag after I had crashed mine. Some at a Union NJ MACS meet back then may recall mine - it had retracts that failed to extend at the end of the flight. (Skidded in with minimal damage.) The camo and markings were almost identical for the two models. I make no claim to have flown anywhere near as well as any member of the Adamisin dynasty, nor to say mine was his inspiration. Or vice versa...

When it went well, mine was a nice enough flier. The flier's view of anything resembling a Dewoitine D-520 is MUCH more pleasing than the box Nobler, IMHO. With wheels up, it was a fantastic sight from the handle! Handling seemed, probably affected by the 'look', positively influenced. ENYA 35, muffler pressure, about 45 oz.

\BEST\LOU
Dennis Adamisin
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »

Lou
Thanks for sharing that story about your D-520.  With retracts that must have been a great looking bird!  Sounds like you need to document it for classic or N-30.

Don't know if you remember the old "Profile Publications" booklets.  We had a whoe stack of them, with virtually every airplane that might some day be turned into a stunter.  The D-520 kept rising to the top of the stack.  It has a great fuselage profile, and is proportioned such that it is easy to translate into CLPA.  Best of all it isn't a Mustang!  I had my Typhoon and Tempest, my brother his Firebrand, LeRoy Gunther had his Sptifire and Dad wanted a semi scale to "trump" us all.

The D-520 did the deed.  Beautiful shape, great aerodyanmics, with a great build and finish. 

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

“Change comes from men who take the next step; not those who theorize about the 200th step.”
                                -Theodore Roosevelt
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 06:37:05 AM »

There is as always a nice story to go with this model. At the nats that year dad had his D520 in the pits waiting to practice fly or something and noticed an older man and his wife staring at the plane. Being a guy that can't resist the opportunity to talk to someone he wandered over and asked them if he could help them. The man asked if dad was the owner of the D520. Dad said yes, why? Dad had used a Profile Publications book both to design and more importantly paint his plane. He did a paint job from one of France's more famous aces Paul LeGlone (sp?). The man that dad was talking to happened to be LeGlone's crew chief. He spent some goose bump minutes talking about the plane, the Battle of France and some details of LeGlone the man. It always made dad's D520 special to us. The crew chief went home with some pictures and a good story to tell, we had the same.
Matt Colan
N-756355
AMA Member
Admiral

Matthew Colan mcolan94 flycl756355
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:41 AM »

There is as always a nice story to go with this model. At the nats that year dad had his D520 in the pits waiting to practice fly or something and noticed an older man and his wife staring at the plane. Being a guy that can't resist the opportunity to talk to someone he wandered over and asked them if he could help them. The man asked if dad was the owner of the D520. Dad said yes, why? Dad had used a Profile Publications book both to design and more importantly paint his plane. He did a paint job from one of France's more famous aces Paul LeGlone (sp?). The man that dad was talking to happened to be LeGlone's crew chief. He spent some goose bump minutes talking about the plane, the Battle of France and some details of LeGlone the man. It always made dad's D520 special to us. The crew chief went home with some pictures and a good story to tell, we had the same.

Wow!  You would never think painting an airplane in a real paint scheme could have somebody who new the plane, see it.  Nice story Dave.

Matt

"An adventure isn't an adventure if you know where you're going" Windy Urtnowski

"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared." Eddie Rickenbacker

Defintion of Sarcasm:  Sarcasm (n.) - the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it.
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »

Glad you liked it Matt. You do this hobby long enough you meet some facinating people.
Bill Little
Server Supporter
Admiral

Second in COMMAND

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »

Thanks for sharing that story, Dave.  Your Dad certainly has spent enough years in the hobby to share many more stories, I am sure!

Bill <><

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! Grin )

Trying to get by
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »

Hi guys. I have some editing work on the story and another one to add. I recalled the name of the wrong French ace in the story. It wasn't Laglone it was Marcel Doret. My dad corrected me today while he was cleaning up my Dewotine. I flew it in 74 at the nats and Cleveland among other lesser venues. Here's a pic of mine. It needs a little work but it's not too bad.....

* Mvc-008s.jpg (47.29 KB, 469x312 - viewed 296 times.)
RandySmith
Admiral

Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »

Hi guys. I have some editing work on the story and another one to add. I recalled the name of the wrong French ace in the story. It wasn't Laglone it was Marcel Doret. My dad corrected me today while he was cleaning up my Dewotine. I flew it in 74 at the nats and Cleveland among other lesser venues. Here's a pic of mine. It needs a little work but it's not too bad.....

Dave

Kent Rogers built a Dewotine around the late 70s, I wonder if he used any of Art's  plans for the ship?
I think this would be a really good pick for a Nostalgia kit or at least plans  , and there are a lot of motors that we can choose from, Did Art use an OS in his?

Randy
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »

Dave

Kent Rogers built a Dewotine around the late 70s, I wonder if he used any of Art's  plans for the ship?
I think this would be a really good pick for a Nostalgia kit or at least plans  , and there are a lot of motors that we can choose from, Did Art use an OS in his?

Randy
Sorry Randy I don't know about Kent's plane. I'll bug Big and see if he knows. Dad flew and lost his (twice) with/due to a McCoy 40. It blew the jug off and he broke the front of the fuse off. He did some miracle repairs and it looked better than new. The McCoy broke again and he lost it for good. I believe he still has the outside wing in his basement. I flew mine with a Max S. I'd like to do it again with a modern engine. I could loose the Rev up EW and get some turn back. It's actually a fairly large plane (610 sq in).
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »

Hi randy. I talked to dad today. The plane Kent did probably wasn't related. We built from pencil drawings (on butcher paper) of the fuse/fin and stab/elevator derived from Profile Pubs. The sketches weren't passed around very often. All of our wings then were basically the same with taper and tips adjusted to fit and between 590 and 620 sq in. They were sparless balsa planked devices that came out REALLY stiff and light. Don Bambrick had the record low weight. He built a wing that with the lg, (no wheels) control system (bc/leadouts/flap horn), tips and flaps that came in at 8.5 ozs. (at least that's what I remember  Smiley)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:22:13 PM by Dave Adamisin » Logged
L0U CRANE
AMA Member
Captain

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »

For Denny's #7... things got unpredictably busy over the past few weeks, sorry to delay this...

I probably have some photos of my D-520 around somewhere, but the model was still just a kit-bashed green-box Nobler. The system for the retracts (which I still have as a memento, with the wing center section still wrapped around it) was an unnecessary nuisance, could be done stronger, lighter, better today. I don't consider it worth the effort, tho.

I also used the little red and white Profile Pub, and Marcel Doret's color and markings from when he was Commander of the site defense element at the Dewoitine factory after that area had been liberated... M. Doret also was the factory test-pilot who made first flight on the prototype D-520, non?  I think the famous fighter pilot was Pierre LeGloan... The invasion of France might have been a bit dfferent if the Armee de l'Aire had a few hundred of these armed and ready...

\BEST\LOU
Bill Ervin
Commander

A.K.A. "The Blur"

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »

Stumbled onto this cool 520 rendition, an electric with retracts.

http://www.clacro.de/Seite_saunier.htm

President, Cedaryopantz Aircraft Co. "Always fly by the Cedaryopantz"
Will Davis
Captain

Will davis
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »

While on business in Detroit a couple months ago ,  as in the past , I stopped by to see what Big Art was up to. He had the Dewoitine ( I think Dave's ) out doing some cleanup . The Model was really impressive for a 1970 Model .. At first I assumed it was a repaired , repainted model,  Not a refinished, it is  all original , with a little repair needed on the canopy  , just good  craftmanship, excellent finish with right  patina . You can tell it was a very nice model in it's day  , Fully sheeted  Sparless Balsa Built up wing ,  machined full length Aluminum Motor Mounts , The  flap and elevator hinges are alot like the Yatsenko Shark type Pin/Brkt hinge  ,,  as always the Adamison Family  and their models  are ahead of their time on innovations..  

I always enjoy spending time with Big Art, thought you would like to see a picture  of Art and  the same  Model ,  Picture taken Oct 2009

I too have a set of the Profile Publications .. Good reference for a Modelers 

Will

* Big Art (2).jpg (291.43 KB, 2048x1708 - viewed 282 times.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:48:40 PM by William Davis » Logged

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"
Arch Adamisin
AMA Member and supporter
Lieutenant

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »

I just found the original drawing for Dad's Model. It's all there, full size top and side views as well as the templates for the wing ribs. Now all we have to do is to trace them to CAD.
I also found some of our other models from the late 60's and early 70's. It looks like we csn build our own designs for Classic or N-30.

Arch
john e. holliday
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »

The Adimisin's regressing to the past?  What happened to all composite molded plane?  Now Walter I do not need another kit right now.  This statement to get back on the original post.

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530
Dave Adamisin
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »

The Adimisin's regressing to the past?  What happened to all composite molded plane?  Now Walter I do not need another kit right now.  This statement to get back on the original post.
Hi John. The Dewotine Big is holding is indeed mine and it is currently "agressing" to a new power plant. It originally flew with a Max S. As to what happened to the new plane, stay tunned.....
Arch Adamisin
AMA Member and supporter
Lieutenant

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »

John,
The composite model will be at the Nat's to fly in PA. Building one of a kind is easy, designing and building the tooling to run production parts turned into the real project.
We're building the older designs to compete in Classic and Nostalgia 30.
Brother Alan might be building a new model of his 2 time Nat's winning Apogee to fly in both PA and Nostalgia 30.
We're looking forward to next year's Nat's.
     Arch
john e. holliday
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »

Maybe I will see ypu all at the NATS.  I feel I let Melvin & Brenda down last year.  I know I sure missed being there.  I also know I would not have been very enjoyable company with the problems I was having.  Always hated taking pills, but if that is what it takes, so be it.  HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR and watch the consumption of the egg nog or what is added to it.

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530
Bill Little
Server Supporter
Admiral

Second in COMMAND

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »

I hope to get back to the NATS this year.  With some luck (and money!) I might can make it happen. 

It would be great to see all the Adamisin clan there! (and with some knock out models , too)

Big Bear

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! Grin )

Trying to get by
Jim Pollock
Admiral

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »

Bill,

I would very much like to get back to competing at the Nats myself,  I know what you mean about luck and money.  I think a lot of U.S. residents need plenty of each!

Jim Pollock   Shocked
Ty Marcucci
Admiral

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »

God willing and intelligent voting, we Americans can remove part of the problem this year and in 2012 too! y1 y1 Hoff

Ty Marcucci

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: