News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lets see some Nostalgia 30's  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lets see some Nostalgia 30's
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »
Well I'll start, I built this a couple of years ago and until I saw the list  didn't realize  I had one.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Larry Lindburg

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Lets see some Nostalgia 30's
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »
I am in possession of this Juno.  It was built by Ron Woodman over 25 years ago.  I took it down from the rafters and flew it in the Chicago Windy City Classic contest in May.
AMA 95707

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
I thought you'd NEVER ask!  Can't find them all just yet, but here's a few...

EDIT: Ty asked for some background info

1970 Tempest The follow-on to the Typhoon,  The best building/painting/finishing job I ever did - and the biggest dog I ever built.  Looking back, I think I screwed up with the dual flap horn arrangment.  ai think I was getting some swinging and unintended differental in the flap throws.  Still got plans, this one is on the REPEAT list.

1970/71 Swea Pea.  When I started experimenting with V-tails THIS was supposed to be the final goal.  A very pretty shape, did not fly badly but needed to be flown.  This was the last bird I ever built without adjustable leadouts - and it needed them.

1972 Fouga Magister.  A terrific airplane through & through.  Test flew it one week before we left for the NATs.  Won Senior and this is the LAST (so far) Senior bird to win the Walker Cup.

1974 TriStar - A very loose interpretation of a Bugatti racer.  My first CSC (Bob Hunt) foam wing.  The wing (except for tip shape) duplicated my brother Alan's Apogee that he used to win Senior at the '73 & '74 NATs.  This bird is in the process of getting a fresh finish on it.  Still hope to fly it again.  a very good flying, very easy to fly bird.

1975 Gee Vee- Guess what look I was trying for?  Imagine that the Granville brothers decided to switch to inline engines, then the also saw info on sleek V-tails to reduce drag.

1970 Dad's Dewoitine 520.  Just a flat out gorgeous design, and built to  & finished to perfection.  The last airplane we ever built for the McCoy 40 too.  The color scheme duplicated of that of Pilot Marcel Doret.  One of the highlights for dad was meeting the crew chief for THIS airplane.

1980 this will be 30 years old NEXT year, the Eclipse as flown at the 1980 NATs.  This is the bird that taught me about sealed hingelines.  Test flights were disgusting, Arch took it home and installed some seals, then flew it, then had me fly it.  I did not recognize the bird!  This one also suffered from a hurried up paint job that turned disastorous.  I got a generous 8 appearance points, if I had got 9 I would have made top 5... Live and learn dummy!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:16:40 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
Here are a couple of shots of my Hallmark before it crashed on about the tenth flight.  Just need to build a new fuse to get it back together.

James
AMA 491167

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
Grandpa has an F-14 powered by a PA 40 pipe.  The plane is overweight, but he could fly it decent in cool weather.  When it gets above 72 degrees, it is terrible and you can tell it is overweight, and he is thinking about stripping it and refinishing it.

The plane was designed by Vic Macaluso in 1971, I'm not sure what year the article was, but when I go to Grandpa's house, he has the magazine and I'll check.

Edit for more info.

Matt Colan

Offline Steve Schlesser

• 2013 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »

Here are a few more. 4 - 35 size and 1 - 660 Stiletto.

Steve

Offline Monty Summach

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »
Okay - here is my attempt at a replica of Gene Schaffer's Stunt Machine - Flying Models December 71. Power is a Magnum 36. It has not flown too much, but I am waiting for the day that there is a class to fly it in.

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »
Monty,
You are truly a gifted builder, that Stunt Machine is gorgeous.
Did I spot water droplets beading off that well polished finish?

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Monty Summach

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:56 PM »
Thanks Les - I consider that a huge compliment - and yes there was a light rain falling.
Regards,
Monty

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here