News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:35:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Head bolts for St 46  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Ken Nash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Head bolts for St 46
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
Jim,
I have an ST 46 from Big Art from the early 70's and want to put hex head bolts in it.  The  bolts now are not anything I have.  Checked 4-40 and 3MM and they don't work at all.

We are getting ready for the Nats.  Terry in Intermediate, Jack Dock in Beginner, and I will fly Classic just cause we will be there.

looking forwrd to seeing you and Lila.

Ken

Offline Dallas Healey

• New Pilot
Re: Head bolts for St 46
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
Try 5/40 socket head screws.

Online James Lee

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
Dallas
Just right...    I emailed Ken and brought some 5-40 bolts to him at the Nats....   There was a lenghty post on the forum about this subject recently, the upshot of which was that 5-40 is a useable replacement for the incredibly weird metric unobtamium original.
thanks
Jim

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:50:37 AM »
Dallas
Just right...    I emailed Ken and brought some 5-40 bolts to him at the Nats....   There was a lenghty post on the forum about this subject recently, the upshot of which was that 5-40 is a useable replacement for the incredibly weird metric unobtamium original.
thanks
Jim

I know this is a while back now but must add that the reason that the "incredibly weird metric unobtamium original" is hard to find because IT IS A #5-40 which the Italians used in the G series engines from at least the early 70s.   The original screws have been measured with toolroom measuring equipment which leaves no doubt as to the screw thread standard which was used in these engines.

HH

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here