General control line discussion > Open Forum

Cox PT 19 History?

<< < (18/18)

Mike Hodge:
Did a little research: The Cox Super Stunter was developed by our own Larry Renger. Found this out on the Cox historical website. Don't know if this is accurate, but I have no reason not to believe it isn't.

If I see a super stunter around on ebay, I'll grab it. I like the PT's make, but the super stunter looks like a good flyer.

Robert McHam:

--- Quote from: Mike Hodge on August 09, 2009, 03:22:20 PM ---Did a little research: The Cox Super Stunter was developed by our own Larry Renger. Found this out on the Cox historical website. Don't know if this is accurate, but I have no reason not to believe it isn't.

If I see a super stunter around on ebay, I'll grab it. I like the PT's make, but the super stunter looks like a good flyer.

--- End quote ---

Mike, check this thread! http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=3572.0
Larry does indeed chime in.

Robert

Mark Misegadis:
Sad news: PT-19 Crash near Colorado Springs.   Mark

http://www.gazette.com/articles/east-59876-small-plane.html

August 08, 2009 10:56 AM
ANDREA BROWN
THE GAZETTE
A World War II veteran and pilot crashed a vintage training plane seconds after take-off near the runway at Meadow Lake Airport Saturday morning.

Witnesses said Burritt Hollister “Hollie” Pond, crashed in a field after taking off in his PT-19A Fairchild wooden aircraft at about 10:40 a.m. from the airport east of Colorado Springs between Falcon and Peyton.

“Witnesses said he couldn’t get enough lift,” El Paso County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ben Dearmont said Saturday at the crash site near the intersection of Judge Orr Road and Highway 24.

Dearmont said the pilot is 87 years old.

Authorities secured the area around the wreckage of bright blue-and-yellow plane across the road from sign that says “Watch for low flying aircraft.”

Pond was flown by helicopter to Penrose Hospital, where a hospital worker said he was in critical condition Saturday night.

“Initial reports are he had a possible broken arm and head injuries,” Dearmont said. “He was alert and speaking to medical personnel, which is a good thing.”

Officials did not release the pilot’s name, but witnesses identified him as Pond, an experienced pilot who frequently flew his plane from the airport.

Pond has a commercial pilot’s license that expires in March of 2011 and is a rated flight instructor.

Air Force records show Pond has two prior aircraft accidents ­— ­both in 1945 when he was flying B-25 Mitchell bombers.

Steve Immel, a weekend fuel station worker, was sitting on a split-rail fence near the airport runway with two others listening to the radio transmissions when Pond’s plane took off.

“There was another guy who was coming in for a landing, so he (Pond) was kind of being pushed,” Immel said. “He actually radioed out and said, ‘Do I have time to take off before you land?’ The other guy said, ‘Yeah, I’ll give you time, I’ll just take more downwind,’ ... which would give him time to take off.”

Immel said he knew something was wrong when Pond’s plane “stayed at about 30 feet the entire length of the runway. He never got air speed and he never got altitude, and he didn’t try to put it back down. His right wing tip went down on the ground. As soon as that happened the engine came down and he tipped over. If you look, you’ll see that it’s a straight line off the tip of the runway,” Immel said.
“Before he even went down I called 911.”

According to the Web site landings.com, the plane is a World War II trainer built in 1943 by Fairchild Aircraft. The open-cockpit trainers were used by U.S. forces and America’s allies.

Federal Aviation Administration investigators arrived just before 12:30 p.m. to determine what caused the crash.

Mark Misegadis:
Lets lighten this thread up from that bad news above. How about posting pics of you flying your PT or of your PT. Any and All.

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version