News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote hinge help needed  (Read 5716 times)

Offline GGeezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
Monokote hinge help needed
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »
I am ready to hinge the surfaces on my new Twister and have decided to use full span Monokote hinges. This is the first time I have used this method and have researched the technique on this site. Starting with the stab and elevator, I have the hinges mounted on the elevator and am ready to attach the elevator to the stab. The mating surfaces are 1/2 rounds. My question is, should I mate these surfaces tightly or leave a small gap? I feel if I mate them too tightly the hinge line may bind.
Your opinions and experience will be appreciated.

Orv.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Monokote hinge help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:01:15 AM »
You really can't mate the half-rounds too tightly unless you have stretched the Monokote as you applied it. If the hinge line is truly straight, binding from Monokote hinges is difficult to achieve. On the other hand, a small gap is unimportant because the Monokote hinges, being full span, seal the hinge line completely anyhow. I would suggest that you aim for a smooth, snug installation, but without being a fanatic about it.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »
Orv,  would like to know how this goes for you, pics would be great.. I have a twister on the board now.  Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:05:16 AM »
Pics would be wonderful.  I would love to watch this as well. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
Thanks Ralph, you bring up a good point about having the hinge line absolutely straight. Ray and Glenn...... I will post photos of my work but please be patient as I'm feeling my way along here. I haven't built a stunter of this size for many years (like 50 years!) and in the mean time the technology has changed a lot.
Orv.

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »
Here are some photos of my Monokote hinge adventure.
Photo #1 shows the method I used to make the hinges. I felt insecure trying to seal two long overlapped strips of MK and then slicing the hinges to length. I instead made each hinge individually as shown. After I sealed the overlap, I used a square to cut the hinges to length.
Photo #2 shows the hinges sealed to the elevator. I used the iron to shape the hinge to conform to the 1/2 round as shown.
Photo #3 shows the elevator and stab clamped, ready to seal the other half of the hinges although the gap is wider than I plan to use. I plan on using a gap four times the thickness of the Monokote to insure a free flexing hinge line.
Photo #4 shows a detail of the center wire support I'm using. I folded a 1/4" wide x .010" strip of brass around a # 37 drill bit shank, using a vise to shape the support around the drill in such a way as to form a tongue. The # 37 drill is 10 thou. larger than the center wire. I then removed the bit and opened up the keyhole shaped part in order to slip it around the center wire. I then had to solder the tongue pieces together in order to prevent them from springing apart.
After I seal the elevator to the stab, I will report the quality of the hinge.

Orv.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:10:56 AM »
Leave a little "wiggle room" in the hinge joint. I have two planes with very tight MK hinges and they are too tight.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
Your method as shown should work fine, but, I'll add this comment to help make it better.

Before attaching the hinges to their surfaces, apply monokote over the hinge area and about 1/8" to 1/4" out onto the surface of the parts. Now, when you apply the hinges, there is covering protecting the wood at the hinge joint.

You've got it right by applying the hinges before covering the parts though.

y1 H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
All he has to do is cover the elevators first.  Then flex them down and then over lap the peice of monokote that will cover the stab.  Easier to do than tell how.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »
I have used Mono Coat hinges now for several years sometimes with great success and sometimes not so successful! The potential for the best success suggests that you apply a full length of monocoat of the appropriate color to both mating surfaces as a base covering for the hinges to adhere to, then apply the hinges to this then cover the pieces to keep the exposure to fuel to an absolute minimum! I have hinges applied like this on a plane with over 600 patterns on them! On planes with the hinges on the top layer they don't last very long and must be reapplied over and over again! This type of hinge, Mono Coat hinge, will get quite flexible and be very durable if covered as suggested! They seal the joints quite nicely and are very light!

I hope this is of some value to you and others!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »
I agree with Phil,  the hinges will be stiff for the first couple of flights, but, then they get to where they work pretty well and seem to last forever.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 03:48:58 AM »
How large of a model can monocote hinges be used on safely?

bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 06:23:35 AM »
I have used them on 40 size planes before.  As with anything they have to be put on with care.  As somone posted already, cover trailing/leading edges of hinge joint first with color llyou are going to be using.  Clean the material real good before puting the hinges on like you would clothe hinges.  Go full span with hinges and they should good to go.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Specifically, I have flown my LA 46 on planes with Monocoat hinges with no problems what so ever. Essentially at my age I have no longer any need to fly any larger--especially with a troublesome replaced shoulder on my flying hand side! Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here