News:

• May 23, 2024, 11:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which adhesive (glue) to use and where or not.  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Which adhesive (glue) to use and where or not.
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

H^^
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:53:51 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which adhesive (glue) to use and where or not.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
      Ty, Most of my flap and elevator horn clips are plywood or bass wood with a slot for the horn wire cut into them, then glued onto the flap or elevator using tite bond or other carpenter glue. And I always pre glue especially on the end grain. I then install a piece of 1/64 th or 1/32 th plywood to capture the wire........
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
Dig into your old Stunt News collection and look for May/June, 1996 issue. Turn to the In the Beginning article. That article goes into the properties, and uses of adhesives for modeling, and more.

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Brad B

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »
Do you think there is any chance of getting that article posted on here?  I would like to see what I am doing right or wrong.   ;D

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »
OK. We've never done this before, but, let's see where it goes...

This article was written in 1996, and edited today to delete some non-relative information.
There may also be some newer materials out there since this was written, so if anyone has any additions, please chime in...

Ward-O

IN the BEGINNING
by Ward Van Duzer
Email WEVD@aol.com

OK! You’re ready to start assembling that kit. Uh-oh, you didn’t buy any glue? Well, maybe we should talk about that a little before you leave for the hobby shop. In the “good old days” there was Ambroid. And that was good. Ambroid on the motor mounts. Ambroid on the nose. Ambroid the ribs and leading and trailing edges. Ambroid the stab and rudder. Even Ambroid on the cloth hinges. Life was simple. And that was good. 

But 2008 is gooder folks! We have cellulose (Ambroid, etc) cements, aliphatic resins (yellow, white and brown),   sandable aliphatics,  polyester resins, fast and slow epoxy resins,  finishing epoxies, and CA’s (slow, medium, fast, and friendly). If this is all gooder, it’s certainly considerably more confusing. In order to clear up some of the mysteries we’re going to use some vocabulary that must be understood by all of us to mean the same thing. So, let’s group some of these words and describe then as they apply to model building.

Hard, brittle, crispy. These generally all mean the same thing. Glues with these qualities  will crack under extended vibration. Never use near the nose or stab! Real hard to sand smooth.

Flexible, bendable.  Not as hard or crispy as CA’s, The slow cure epoxies are good for use in the nose and stab areas.

Soft, flexible, sandable. Will stand up to vibration and twist, and won’t ball up when you try to sand it.

Cure. A chemical process that does not require air to dry, or bond the cement.

Now, let’s try and clear up some of those adhesive questions. And present some of the problems as well....

CELLULOSE CEMENTS... Ambroid, Duco and the like. These require the acetone in them evaporate to effect their “drying”. Therefore, these are not a good choice for doublers. The acetone may not ever fully evaporate through the balsa sides. These cements also dry rather brittle and are not a good general choice for any area subject to continued vibration. I also question their ability to repel alcohol based fuels.  When using these it is often best to smooth the cement to both parts to be joined and allow it to dry before finally cementing the parts together. This is the “double gluing” process you may have heard some old timers talk about. These cements sand fairly well, but are best left overnight to “fully” dry. I have placed the word “fully” in quotes to note that these glues will continue to dry for years! When ALL of the acetone and thinners have evaporated they leave nothing behind but cellulose! Ask those who watched me flick the ribs out of my 25 year old framed up Barnstormer!

EPOXIES... These “cure” rather than dry, making them the best choice for nose doublers. (Nothing has to evaporate)! The slow cure (at least 30 to 45 minute) epoxies will maintain some softness to them therefore they will maintain the flexibility you need around the nose of your ships. Great for use in bonding hardwoods (plywood, maple motor mounts, and landing gear blocks) to balsa. Properly cured, epoxies are 100% fuel proof. Quick cure (5 minute) epoxies are OK for field repairs and the like, but should (generally) be avoided. These cure before they have a chance to penetrate the wood, and the resulting joints are not as strong as the slow cures. Finishing epoxies should be thought of as just that! Finishing surfaces only. These are quite thin when mixed and therefore quite easy to work with, BUT, they cure very hard (therefore, brittle) in order to make them sandable for finishing purposes. I have seen these recommended by some for gluing doublers, but I won’t use them for anything except FINISHING! They just weren’t designed for strength. They ARE good for fuel proofing (finishing?) the inside of your  tank compartments.

One final note about epoxies. Beginners typically will think that “more is better. We can/should use the glue to fill voids and gaps.” WRONG! Epoxy glue itself is not very strong. It is it’s ability to chemically bond materials that gives us the qualities we love about it. And, very little actual glue is required to achieve that purpose. Spread it thinly on two surfaces, then scrape it off (both surfaces) with a playing card, and you have enough to do the job. Too much epoxy adds POUNDS to your airframe, and removes DOLLARS from you wallet.

RESINS...No, Polyester Resins are definitely NOT the same thing as epoxy! Polyester resins are most often identified by the hardener coming  separately in a tiny little tube or bottle. You add a few drops to several fluid ounces of resin material. Although not used readily in our phase of the hobby, these are used rather frequently in R/C construction. Resins will glue some plastic materials that epoxies won’t. They may be used for fiber glassing noses, and painting tank compartments. They will sand better than epoxies on F/G noses, etc. But, beware. Resins are not compatible with epoxies!  I am told that epoxy resins contain wax, and the polyesters HATE wax. You cannot put polyester resin OVER epoxy (resins). They will not cure!!!! Now, some folks tell me they have had success putting epoxy over poly resins. Let us remember that Epoxolite IS epoxy! 

CONTACT CEMENT... Often used for securing sheeting to foam wings. This is the “once it is down, it’s STUCK forever” stuff. Quick and easy, but beware... it gets heavy fast! If you are going to use these (not recommended), use them SPARINGLY! Slow cure epoxies (used sparingly) are probably a better choice for this application.

ALIPHATICS... These would be my first choice for general construction. But don’t put this article down yet! There is good news/bad news with the Aliphatic Resins! Let’s get the “COW” and the “CHAIR” stuff  out of the way first. The white stuff  Elmer sells is used by some to sheet wings with. I’ve not used it for this so I really can’t say from experience, but I’ll stick with epoxy. (Ooooooh!) I’ve heard it said that the water soluble aliphatic cements will lose their strength in humid or rainy weather. These also have the very undesirable characteristic of rolling up in little balls when you are trying to sand your glue joints smooth. The Brownish-Yellow, furniture version of this glue will ball up as well, although it is a stronger glue. This glue also seems to set up quicker than Elmer’s. But your first choice should be found in the hobby shop! This is not one of those places where you can chintz by going to Sear’s, or Ace Hardware! We are talking about several SANDABLE ALIPHATICS that provide all of the good characteristics of the “White or Brown Cows”, along with sandability. There is something to be said for a gap filling glue, that gives you time to work parts into final position before it sets. Spend the money and get a brand you can trust. Since these generally do not come in container that allows you to apply it in the small amounts you’ll want to, you’ll need to buy a glue gun (or two or three). Fairly quick cure, (1-3 hours).Especially good for kids to work with too! These belong in your shop!

CA’s... Cyano Acr*&@@?+$$$ ! Yup! We all use them in some form, and love them. They have revolutionized the model world. But why have I saved them for last? Because they are the best? Hardly!
Maybe I am a dinosaur, but I have learned not to trust the CA’s for all applications. That’s why I made you read through all of the information about the other materials first. OK. What’s BAD about a cement that let’s you build a model overnight? First let’s understand that the words GOOD and BAD are relative terms. Got that? GOOD!

“Instant” is the word that best describes the CA’s. This seems to fit the bill for those individuals that have the need for instant gratification. (Will patience be lost forever?) There is, however, a dear price to be paid for “instant”. (And 15 to 45 second cure is still “instant” to this old goat).  At least in our glues. The penalty  is Hardness. Brittle! Cracks.Completely un-sandable. Someday you need to take a wing assembled with CA and twist it back and forth gently from the wingtips. It sounds like 15 microwave ovens loaded with popcorn going off, right? Well folks, that popping and crackle-ing is the glue cracking and breaking! Think about that! Is this how you want your next stunt beauty to be held together? Yes, there are times, and airplanes, where this kind of assembly may be appropriate, but it is definitely something you should think about before building your next “Sooper Swooper”.

No. This does not mean that I don’t use CA’s anymore. It is a great substitute for pins! I use it to hold parts in place while the real glue dries, or to hold parts in position while I apply the real glue. I’ll use it on longitudinal joints where there is little or no twist. I.E.,  in cementing leading edge sheeting to the “C” or “D” tube spars. But to build an airplane with...Nevermore! And never, never use CA anywhere near the nose of any ship you build. Or, on wing center sections. Unless you really want an ornithopter for a stunt ship!

Offline Brad B

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:18:51 PM »
Thanks Ward!!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »
Is Elmers wood glue O.K.

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
A few things.

Epoxy resins do not have wax in them.  Some polyester resins DO have wax in them.  Polyester finishing resins have wax in them.  The wax floats to the surface and excludes air. Air (with moisture) inhibits full cure of polyester resins.  Polyester laminating resin doesn't have wax and the surface cures to a sticky gumming feeling surface.  You can buy a was additive for the final coat to get a hard sandable surface.

Polyester doesn't work over epoxy due to chemistry incompatibility.  But epoxy sticks fine to scuff sanded polyester.

Pure epoxies do stick things together, but better is to add some filler to bridge the gap.  And if you squeeze out the epoxy with too high of clamping forces, you lose the strength of the bond.  I use main WEST epoxy and the proper way to glue wood with this is to coat the gluing surface witha thin coat of the pure resin.  They put ona thin layer of resin with a filler added. Then place the parts together with light clamping.  This is the method for building full scale aerobatic wings with epoxy.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »
But your first choice should be found in the hobby shop! This is not one of those places where you can chintz by going to Sear’s, or Ace Hardware! We are talking about several SANDABLE ALIPHATICS that provide all of the good characteristics of the “White or Brown Cows”, along with sandability.

Can you give some specific examples (or brand name) of  "SANDABLE ALIPHATICS".
Not familiar with what you are talking about here..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
Go to www.LMII.com (That's EL-EM-EYE-EYE DOT COM) and do a search on "Instrument makers glue". Available in 8 oz. and 1 gallon! Oh yea...Read the write up too. Then you'll know as much as I do!

8)

W.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »
Apologies for resurrection of an old thread...

I was about to post asking this question.  "Which glue where?"

Thank you Ward for taking the time.

My only comment is on epoxy vs polyester.  When fully cured they are fully compatible with each other: epoxy over polyester or polyester over epoxy.  The fully cured material simply needs cleaned and sanded prior to application of the new material. 

Phil

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »
When it comes to motor mounts, and the control system use epoxy, the slower the cure the better. CA is very strong but it is equally brittle so be careful using it in places that are prone to flex. I like CA but it is only good in certain areas. Everything else is Epoxy, Elmer's, and Yellow Wood glue.

Derek

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
I prefer Gorilla Glue for securing blind nuts and for some special "repairs"!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
This a very old thread that has been resurrected, and I want to thank Ward again for the fine article and especially the info on the instrument maker's glue.  A perfect replacement for the defunct Pica glue.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
I learned from a machinist's newsgroup that CA makes a dandy glue for machining certain hard-to-hold parts with wide flat bases:  you glue the part to a flat mandrel, machine it, then you put a punch on the edge of the part and give it a little "pop" with a light hammer -- off it falls.

I haven't tried it, but you can think about that the next time you want to depend on CA in shear, or any time you need it to flex.

(Ty's flaps might have held together longer if he'd used his usual plywood doublers -- then the doublers would have been holding against the shear stress, and the glue would have been stressed in tension.  But I wouldn't guarantee it, and it's a job that I'd only trust to something yellow like aliphatic or slow epoxy).

(And yes, I know that there are slow epoxies that aren't yellow -- I'm taking some license here).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
Apologies for resurrection of an old thread...

I was about to post asking this question.  "Which glue where?"

Thank you Ward for taking the time.

My only comment is on epoxy vs polyester.  When fully cured they are fully compatible with each other: epoxy over polyester or polyester over epoxy.  The fully cured material simply needs cleaned and sanded prior to application of the new material. 

Phil

Hi Phil

Sorry but that is not true, I have tried several times to put polyester resin over cured..dry..saned..aged..or new..  epoxy and it does NOT cure, it stays sticky only where the epoxy is, everwhere else it cures.
Now the new finish resins that take the place of polyester resins  do work well over epoxy

Randy

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
Sorry but that is not true, I have tried several times to put polyester resin over cured..dry..saned..aged..or new..  epoxy and it does NOT cure, it stays sticky only where the epoxy is, everwhere else it cures.
Now the new finish resins that take the place of polyester resins  do work well over epoxy

Assuming that Phil is not wrong about what happened or what he used, I can add this:

There isn't just one type of epoxy or polyester.  There aren't, in fact, just a few types of either.  There's slews.  What filters down into the hobby industry are generally whatever is cheap, or whatever is general-purpose enough, or whatever the manufacturer can sell with confidence that his customers won't keel over dead the first time they open the container, or all three.

I could believe that there might be a few types of polyester resin that works over epoxy, or perhaps a few types of epoxy that work under polyester.  I haven't tried polyester over epoxy, but I used to build and maintain molds for my dad's company: polyester resin tends to get grumpy about setting up over a variety of different materials (the normal humidity in air, for instance, which is why finishing resin has wax in it), and the symptom is exactly as Randy describes: hard everywhere except the surface where it's touching the bad stuff, where it's sticky and (maybe) soft.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
For whatever reason, I do not have a reason to use polyester resin on one of my models.  I use Z-Poxy Finishing Resin for fuel proofing and applying fiberglass (and sometimes CF veil) and Z-Poxy 30 minute epoxy for longer curing gluing needs.  Didn't know Z-Poxy 30 minute epoxy existed until I accidentally bought some.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »
You are correct, there are quite a few different chemistries of epoxy and polyester resins out there.  I must have had good luck all around, but my experience stems from larger items than modeling (Evercoat, West System).  In my experience, washing with ammonia and water (removes oils, greases, and waxes, and works better at this than solvents), then sanding has provided good results. 

Having an open surface on polyester resin can be a nightmare though, so this needs sealed and cured or removed.  "Waxed" or self waxing resins and gel coats, using a PVA release agent, or covering the surface with plastic wrap will starve the polyester of air and encourage a full cure to the surface.

My experiences with hard setting epoxies that I have used in models, and for light repairs on boats (screw holes) have been similar, even with hardware store variety 5 minute cure products.  I have not tried over coating a product that did not set hard enough to sand nicely.

Maybe I overstepped saying "fully compatible"

Phil

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
I am concerned about the warnings of CA, since I have a Coyote wing completed and ready for finish sanding.  The entire structure is assembled with Bob Smith CA.  I don't expect it to last forever but would like to believe it won't fall apart over a reasonable time.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
Dick, I've flown numerous RC airplanes built with 95% CA joints, with just epoxy around the firewall area, that were plenty strong.  CA may not be the best glue to use, but in my opinion it's plenty good enough for a lot of airplanes.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »
Dick, I've flown numerous RC airplanes built with 95% CA joints, with just epoxy around the firewall area, that were plenty strong.  CA may not be the best glue to use, but in my opinion it's plenty good enough for a lot of airplanes.

Dick,

I agree with Tim. I believe your worries are needless. Like Tim, I too in R/C built the same way with only a bit of epoxy in other areas.

Here's my old crib. Look around. Everything you see there was built with CA. Everything! If you look carefully, you will see models that were built years and years ago, some stripped down for a redo. Some of that stuff I got rid of because it was R/C and kinda large. I'm still getting rid of stuff, old as most of those models are, they are still staying together.

I'm a CA guy and will continue to be.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
OK, here is a question I do not see addressed here. I am playing around with Coroplast (the stuff that is used for signs - think election signs).

What adhesive (s) will bond best to this material??
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Dick,

I agree with Tim. I believe your worries are needless. Like Tim, I too in R/C built the same way with only a bit of epoxy in other areas.

Here's my old crib. Look around. Everything you see there was built with CA. Everything! If you look carefully, you will see models that were built years and years ago, some stripped down for a redo. Some of that stuff I got rid of because it was R/C and kinda large. I'm still getting rid of stuff, old as most of those models are, they are still staying together.

I'm a CA guy and will continue to be.

Charles

Holy cow! How many G-bees have you 1/2 built?  n~ n~ LL~

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
OK, here is a question I do not see addressed here. I am playing around with Coroplast (the stuff that is used for signs - think election signs).

That's probably worth another thread -- I certainly have no freaking clue.

I'd try hot glue, expecting it to fail but being ready to be pleased if it worked.

Then I'd try scuffing the stuff with sandpaper and epoxying it.

In the mean time, I'd start a thread titled "glue for Coreplast".
AMA 64232

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »

Hi John,
 Probably more info than you were looking for but try This thread over at Spadworld

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
Holy cow! How many G-bees have you 1/2 built?  n~ n~ LL~

Rafael,

Too many!

I guess at that time  had two 25% Gee Bee Z's partially framed, two 33% Gee Bee Z's, one framed and one damaged to be fixed, one 1/5 scale Gee Bee Z, and hiding in there someplace is my first Gee Bee E which I built in the 80's.

That one has been repaired twice, has some weight now, but could still offer some interesting visuals if I spent a bit of time and set it up for CL just for the kick. I had a 4S 90 in it. Would probably still fly on a 90.

I should take it down from the "rack" and check it out.

This 1/5 Gee Bee Z, is my highly modified 98% scale, Adrian Paige semi scale kit. Now that I have the ability to pull off silking a wing, I plan on getting this model completed. Decisions have to be made. Electric throttle, i.e. Clancy Arnold or third line.

Entire model built totally with CA. Tad of epoxy in special areas.

Yes, I know. I loose interest quickly.  :##

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »

I am looking at coreplast to rebuild an RC trainer, sans post hole digger...  Seems that "flashing" it with a propane torch then using CA glue is the recommended process.  Heating it is supposed to make the surface porous so it can accept certain adhesives.  I haven't tried it yet though.

Phil

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
Do I get to post since I'm not a regular??? Only kidding of course.

I built a couple of Coroplast RC planes and they are as crashproof as it gets. Contact glue (flammable type) works great on Coroplast but you only get one chance. I gotta agree with CA holding up to the task...one of my 60 size RC ships broke the nose completely off in front of the wing. Just for giggles I re-glued it using epoxy and no structural mods. It crashed hard again and broke at the epoxy glue line. This time I pressed it together and used thin CA. Next time it crashed and broke the nose off but broke the ply doublers and fuse. The CA glue line held all around. I did a lot of experimenting this way with thin CA and it has never failed. I've been using CA well over 20 yrs without even one joint going bad. I don't think the thick CA penetrates well enough to stay engaged...which is what I see epoxy do when it pulls the grain off.

Also, for what its worth, the polyester mfgs say don't apply over epoxy. The only exception I've read to this is WEST Systems saying it's ok if you prep first. By the way, they are the ONLY resin people on the planet that endorse poly over epoxy. Unless things have changed, WEST doesn't mfg their resin either. There is no problem with epoxy over poly. Just make sure its clean and free of the wax. Styrene takes the wax off better than anything else but is pretty toxic and eco unfriendly.

Not that many use Ambroid or DUCO types now...but one particular Banshee I flew for several decades was built with DUCO (doublers, motor mounts and all). I slipped and fell one flight and made it a lawn dart into the pavement. None of the glue lines evaporated away or busted up but the airframe wood turned into splinters. It hit hard enough to crack the case nose and bent the crank of a Fox 35. Not that the stuff lasts forever but I think the way people build with it makes a difference too. I always do the recommended first coat and let it dry. Then glue up normally. After a couple of days I go around and build up the joints again. Could be DUCO is different but none of my other vintage planes built this way are showing problems.

Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here