News:

• March 18, 2024, 10:17:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Request info on Lew's CLPA Spinks Acromaster  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Request info on Lew's CLPA Spinks Acromaster
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:11:22 AM »
Hi Guys,

Like many on this forum, I like my model planes to look as scale as possible. I'm looking for a scale CLPA plane. I have plans for several but have always had a soft spot for the Spinks Acromaster. It lacks the side area of the Extras, Edges, etc., but the fuselage is easy (KIS) to build. I think the plane has nice lines and a good looking, clean, paint scheme.

Are there plans for Lew McFarland's beautiful Spinks Acromaster?

What size is it? ... WA, WS, FL, Wt, power, etc.

Is it Classic legal?

Anyone out there fly one?

Thank you in advance for your help.  :-)

Regards,   H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Request info on Lew's CLPA Spinks Acromaster
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:15:16 AM »
Hi Rudy,
Lew's Akromaster was designed in 1972, and the construction article appeared in the November, 1974 Model Aviation. Plans are available from the AMA, Planset #32973 - - $17.00, and a copy of the article will come with the plans (If you're an AMA member).

Akromaster is a rather pretty plane, with mostly straight lines, and simple construction. I sold 3 sets of wing cores to Dan McEntee about 2 years ago; you might contact him to see if he'd sell one to you. FWIW, the Akromaster is/was the only plane designed from the get-go to fly both as C/L and R/C. In fact, Lew used to go out and make a couple of flights in one mode, and then switch. Using the same plane!

Wingspan is 58"; area approx. 600 sq. in. and can be built quite light. Plans show root- and tip-rib patterns for cutting ribs or cores.

Good luck,
Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:56:47 AM »
Oops; Rudy I posted in the other thread that it was in the late 60's. Ralph is right. It was in the November 74 issue, but it was AAM, not Model Aviation. Back then it was plan #1142.
Jim Kraft

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:21:25 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice if it was a few years earlier to make the Classic cutoff date. .... but I guess we could say that about a lot of nice planes that were close?   :!

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the extra info. I ordered the plan.

It is cool that Lew made it a "crossover" vehicle. The CL/RC idea is easier to do than most would think. Back in the early 1970s we created a RC pylon class using Combat Streaks (full fuselage Flight Streaks) with OS FSR .25s. The kits were still available back then. It makes a very good flying RC plane and a fun inexpensive pylon racer.

It was easy to install the RC system by making the entire top a hatch. I converted mine to also fly CL and flew it at our field both ways on the same day. It was fun and the guys all got a kick out of it, many had never seen a CL plane fly. I still have the plane hanging up in my shop, right next to my 35 year old Olympic Sailplane. They both are done with Monokote so they look almost as good as the day they were born. :-)

Thanks again guys for the info. 

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:31 PM »
I can't remember who it is but someone who post here or at SSW claims that his spinks is classic legal, you might do a search and come up with it. he has posted pictures of it before
Dave jr.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 06:48:02 PM »
This is one I built for R/C off of Sid Morgan plans back in the early 70's I think. Flew very well and looked very good in the air.
Jim Kraft

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »
Hi Dave,

You have a good memory. This is from 2003.  :-)

Here is the quote you were referring to:

"......Keith,

Lew's Akromaster isn't classic legal - my version is.
Lew's was also a bit larger than mine. I recall his was about a 57" wingspan and mine was 52". My Akromaster was designed around the OS .35S engine of the late 60's and the '68 Gieseke Nobler wing and flew beautifully at 43 ounces. If carbon fiber LG and extra lite wheels were available back then it would have come in at 40 ounces.

Jim Pollock  ....."

If Jim is reading this, or someone that knows him, I would like to get buy a copy of his plans if they are available. Thanks again Dave for your help.  H^^

I can't remember who it is but someone who post here or at SSW claims that his spinks is classic legal, you might do a search and come up with it. he has posted pictures of it before
Dave jr.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline kdheath

• New Pilot
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »
I had the good fortune to see the iriginal Akro flown in an airshow I heard later that it had a short career because it tended to flat spin. You can see the Akro at the EAA museum.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here