News:

• March 19, 2024, 03:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Starting  (Read 1426 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Engine Starting
« on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
Is there a rule against starting an engine briefly ON the flight line, then stopping it, THEN signalling the judges fto start the clock?

This comes to mind because I happen to have an engine (no names, please) that sometimes defies my best efforts at starting.  Sometimes it takes right off, and other times it will not even "bump".  I would change motors, but don't have another one to fit the mounts.

Floyd in OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Starting
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »
At this year's Stuntathon, I forgot the hand signal and started my engine.  Somebody yelled, "hand signal!"  So I gave a hand signal.  After some thought, I decided that this wouldn't work, so I stopped the engine and gave another hand signal.  I then motored the engine with the starter for a long time.  It wouldn't start.  I choked it and motored it some more.  It wouldn't start.  Somebody yelled, "battery!"  I then hooked up the battery, the engine started, and I flew some stunt.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
I think I would let the Judges know ahead of time that you wanted to run a prime thru the engine before your official. Judges have always been fair with me.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
Quote from: FLOYD CARTER
Is there a rule against starting an engine briefly ON the flight line, then stopping it, THEN signalling the judges fto start the clock?

There is nothing wrong with starting the engine and thenkilling it THEN giving the hand signal  that you are ready to start.  Well, as long as you didn't give  a hand signal prior to the first start.
  As stated above,  it WOULD be nice if you wouild let the judges know afforehand of your intents.

Bigiron Oh yes---it has been done MANY times
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
And if everyone did it the contest would take forever.. Most burp the engine in the pits just before the official.. Of course making sure the prop wash isn't directed towards other airplanes...

Now that electric starters are not so taboo that would be my choice with a stubborn two stroke.. I use one on my 4 strokes and no longer see or feel the need to flip.. flip... flip...

kvarley

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »
Howard.  I'm a bit surprised that you have publicly confessed to the Stuntathon debacle ,It takes a real man to do that. I'll long remember it as a perfect demonstration of you being the loveable " ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR "   Keith Varley

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:33 PM »
Howard is my all time favorite entertaining poster. Keep it up Howard. I love your posts. The stuff you posted from the Worlds was just great.

I was flying at Topeka's contest a few years ago, and had just primed my Fox 35 in my first Magician. I was flipping the prop to work in the prime without the battery connected, and off she went. Grabbed the spinner to shut it down, signaled the judges, and restarted. I kind of surprised everybody but I have had it happen before in practice. Never flip a Fox 35 with fuel in it unless you are ready for it to start.

When I fly ignition I generally fire the engine up, turn off the switch, signal the judges, turn on the switch, and fire it back up. Most of the time doing this I get first flip starts.

Jim Kraft

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »

No. It's a courtesy, however, to start it off to the side (not *in* the pits, or at least in such a way no to blow on other airplanes) instead.

At the 93 NATs, my engine started while I was trying to choke it. with no battery. I stopped it and signalled, but after about the 3rd time I gave up trying to choke it. I never quite got the guts to signal and then attempt to start it with no battery - which would have made me the coolest guy in Lawrenceville, IL - but I have no doubt it would have fired right off.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »
Everybody has their own way of getting ready to fly or start en engine.  Thanks to Bigiron and Silverfox I try to burp my engine in the pits with the plane aimed away from the other planes.  At VSC and the NATS I do it when I know I have a couple of planes ahead of me in the flight order.  Some times I have to turn the plane over and I myself do not like electric starters, but, if I ever started using carbon props then the starter would be mandantory.  It takes practice and knowing your equipment.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here