News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel tank mounting and shimming on a profile  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fuel tank mounting and shimming on a profile
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
This seems like an obvious question, but in build threads I have seen a plethora of different methods.  I understand that any working system is good, and there probably is no "best"

I am finishing up a couple Flite Streaks, and have been repeatedly reading that I should be shimming the fuel tank between 1/8 and 1/4 inch, as well as mounting it securely.  I am using plastic clunk tanks on these.

I have a few ideas how to do this using a wedge and a strap.  Weight is already a problem in the nose as I will need to add tail weight already.

So, how do you do this so it is secure, and positioned properly?

Pictures please!

Thank you in advance.

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Fuel tank mounting and shimming on a profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »
Phil,

Can you solder?

Two different tanks done the same way. The Flite Streak tank and the Mig-3, Both profile mounted. I just soldered simple tabs. Egg the holes in the tabs for adjustment, or shims behind the tabs.

I have the tank on my Pathfinder wire tied.  n~

It moves around a bit, never in the same place twice. I still get a full run with loops, eights, wingovers plus climp and dive. But I do eyeball it kinda straight before take off.  %^@
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »
I glue the tank to 1/8 plywood with Goop from the hardware store.  It seems to hold forever.  Then bolt or screw the ply to the fuselage - no brackets or straps to vibrate and break.  Some guys run a couple of zip ties around the tank and ply for extra insurance. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
If you go old school( rubber bands and hooks) then your wedge should stay without screws or goo. Or you can glue a 1/4" square stock where the back of the tank will be. I use bamboo skewers to dowel it. If the 1/4' is too much you can sand or trim off some.
later
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
http://brodak.com/adjustable-tank-brackets-end.html

Just solder to  end of tank.

George

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
Just solder to  end of tank.

George

Didn't know you could buy these from Brodak?

Nice.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
Phil, if you are using a plastic clunk tank other than a Hayes tank you should have room to fit one of the bronze sintered filter pickups in it. They really help cut down on fuel foaming type runaways due to vibration on profiles! I highly recommend it.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
In the stretch fuselage I went with Steve Kientz's suggestion of rubber bands
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,37207.msg399072.html#msg399072
I still need to shim it for height as I made the hooks wide enough to allow the tank to sit on its side if I choose to.  Yes, this is a Hayes tank.  

On the scratch built I cannot even fit the identical tank into the space, so I am not sure what to do.  I have a 90cc tank on order from Hobby King.  I have not ruled out using a metal tank.  (I also haven't checked if the ARF tank will fit, but I'd have to open and re-plumb for uniflow.)  I will consider a sintered pickup for other models.

I'm still open to suggestions.  Buying or making a tank is not ruled out, although I am far from skilled at the making of fuel tanks.

Again, Thank you for the suggestions.  I would still like to see pictures if you got them.

Phil

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 07:25:19 AM »
Phil,
I have mounted Sullivan plastic tanks/w clunk on the inboard side of the profile fuselage on Ringmasters and Twisters.
No problems that I remember (@ my age!   LL~).
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
Phil,
I have mounted Sullivan plastic tanks/w clunk on the inboard side of the profile fuselage on Ringmasters and Twisters.
No problems thatI remember.
Roger V.

I am considering that.  It will simplify fuel line routing with the remote NVA on the LA25 too.

Phil

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
All of my profiles, with the exception of two, the tanks are mounted inboard. I get a lot of compliments on my engine consistency.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
There are places where you can buy rubber bands in different colors.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here