News:

• May 06, 2024, 04:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is appropriate maximum control deflection?  (Read 9249 times)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What is appropriate maximum control deflection?
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
I am finishing the control setup on a Flite Streak built to the plans, and a Flite streak with a stretched fuselage and over sized horizontal stabilizer.

What do YOU have for maximum control deflection, preferably in degrees, for non-flapped ships in the size of a Flite Streak or Sky Ray 35?

Thank you

Phil

Offline steve bittner

• Lieutenant
Re: What is appropriate maximum control deflection?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
30 degree has my vote, good answer Ty

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »
Interestingly, some of use have been experimenting with more control throw (for electric planes). Howard Rush had a camera mounted on planes pointing to the control surfaces. I was a bit surprised by how much we use. I often build planes with no more than 20 degrees available and it seems that's not enough.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
Interestingly, some of use have been experimenting with more control throw (for electric planes). Howard Rush had a camera mounted on planes pointing to the control surfaces. I was a bit surprised by how much we use. I often build planes with no more than 20 degrees available and it seems that's not enough.

Well, that camera was on my plane and it showed that it just got to 20 degrees on the hardest corner I could do. That was flap deflection that was measured.  Maybe on a non linear system it might go more. Need to put that camera on one of my non linear planes to see how far it is moving.

I have a new flite streak and 30 degrees is about where it is and it is OK. Depends on where your CG is going to be.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
I suspect this is misleading as all get out -- but here's the elevator deflection of Test Pig #3 as she was flying the eights (first round, then square).  If I got my calibration right, that's a deflection of nearly 40 degrees in the square maneuvers.

I'm not sure how much I trust these numbers, though -- both my Skyray and my Flight Streak were set up to max out at about +/- 40 degrees, and they had less elevator than Test Pig #3.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
Paul, I was looking at the video on Mark Scarborough's plane. Seemed like more than 20 degrees to me (maybe 30 degrees). I usually set my planes up for 20-25 degrees but have been rethinking that.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
Hmm...

Right now I have 20 degrees on the tallest setting on the control horn on the one I have the elevator on.  Sounds like I am in pretty good shape, as moving down gives more movement.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »
There are so many variables that there's no one good recommendation.  You can say things about a "typical flapped stunter", or Skyrays specifically, or Flight Streaks specifically -- but not about everything.

As long as the elevator itself will travel +/- 40 degrees I think you'll be set -- you can try the thing out with it set up for less motion, then if you're just not getting enough turn you can move the pushrod up on the control horn.

I do suggest that you make sure that with the pushrod closer to the elevator you still have full range of travel.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »
I think another player in s equations is how large and effective the flaps are.  They do, of course, give an opposing control force to the aircraft.

I know this is nothing new to most of us but maybe some newbies haven't thought of this fact yet!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:22 PM »
Flaps are fixed in this case.  I currently do not possess a flapped airplane, and do not expect to have one soon. 

I get non-binding travel for over 45 degrees in both directions with the pushrod disconnected.  I have a screw end on the pushrod with a clevis so I can adjust as needed.  I have about 3/8 inch adjustment on the clevis in both directions after adjusting it on the tallest position.

Everybody around here fly RC.  I get interesting answers about adjusting travel in the radio...

Phil

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
Paul, I was looking at the video on Mark Scarborough's plane. Seemed like more than 20 degrees to me (maybe 30 degrees). I usually set my planes up for 20-25 degrees but have been rethinking that.
hmm randy,, I dont think I can deflect my controls in the profile to 30 degrees,, I wonder if there is some optical delusion going on here  n~
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:45:18 PM »
I picked up one of these today.  For the price it is pretty nice.  Yes, this is the exact reason I got it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multipurpose-angle-finder-1028.html

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »
Everybody around here fly RC.  I get interesting answers about adjusting travel in the radio...

What, your handle doesn't have buttons and an LCD screen, with a jog wheel so that you can select the right program for the right aircraft?
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »
What, your handle doesn't have buttons and an LCD screen, with a jog wheel so that you can select the right program for the right aircraft?

Nope!  Not this one at least!

Phil

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 12:53:55 AM »
wonder how the number of degrees of travel compare to the actual size of the flaps and elevators..
Add just 1/4 inch to the back of the flap and the number of degree of travel might need to be less ???

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 01:12:05 AM »
wonder how the number of degrees of travel compare to the actual size of the flaps and elevators..
Add just 1/4 inch to the back of the flap and the number of degree of travel might need to be less ???

I think that's true, but then strange things happen.  Hinge moment goes up approximately proportional to flap deflection, but approximately proportional to the square of flap chord. Adding flap chord thus causes hinge moment to increase for a given amount of wing lift.  Adding flap chord thus results in a greater difference in tension between the two control lines for a given amount of wing lift, which makes the airplane harder to fly accurately.  Hence Ted's advice, which I think I finally figured out, not to use any more flap chord than necessary. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
I think that's true, but then strange things happen.  Hinge moment goes up approximately proportional to flap deflection, but approximately proportional to the square of flap chord. Adding flap chord thus causes hinge moment to increase for a given amount of wing lift.  Adding flap chord thus results in a greater difference in tension between the two control lines for a given amount of wing lift, which makes the airplane harder to fly accurately.  Hence Ted's advice, which I think I finally figured out, not to use any more flap chord than necessary. 

I just learned something.....  woohoo!
Steve

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »
Most already know this but some may not. I like many others when building Ringmasters back in the 1950-60's that always had almost straight up and down on the elevator.We thought more than 45 degrees was needed ~^. About 15 years ago I built a light Ringmaster and had only set it up with 15 degree movement. It would do a hourglass and anything I asked of it. It weighted 27 ounces with a ST/35 on it. It was fun to fly.
 For many years back then we built a lot of travel in the elevator in case we needed in. Are thinking was incorrect as the large deflection made maters worse. If you wish to do the Sabor Dance then a lot of travel is needed to stall the plane like a BySlob.
Eddie
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »

You just had to put it into math.

I watched a practice flight recently where my flying buddy had a slow engine run, flaps in need of tweaking, and consequent line tension issues.  You could see that in the outside overhead maneuvers the plane was basically just hanging off of the "down" line, with the "up" line completely slack, with a good foot more sag than the "down" line.
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:44:03 PM »
Tim, do some judging.  You'll see a lot of that.
Mike

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
This is a test for VG's but you can at least see the flap and elevator deflection.

-Chris

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
Hi Chris, thanks for posting the video. It's really interesting. What conclusions did you come to........did the VG's make any real difference?

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »

... Depends on where your CG is going to be.

That's the right answer!

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »

With all due respect, Randy, the only correct answer is that you should have more available than you think you'll need.  That's why God (or maybe Bob Baron) designed the adjustable control handle.

It's the old saw that goes something like this... "You can always use less than is available but it's really tough to get more if you need it!"  I may have just made that up.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
Adding flap chord thus results in a greater difference in tension between the two control lines for a given amount of wing lift, which makes the airplane harder to fly accurately.  Hence Ted's advice, which I think I finally figured out, not to use any more flap chord than necessary. 

Praise the Lord!  I finally scored one!

Ted "no more chord than necessary" Fancher

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here