News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Bearcat wing jig  (Read 6969 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Bearcat wing jig
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
 I needed a wing jig to build this wing and the ones I had used in the past were not going to work well for this wing so I started fresh. I have never seen the Brodak wing jig so I looked at many on the internet and came up with this one. There is a plywood plate at each end screwed to Laminate board and the 3/16 rods sit on it. I made two end plates with holes to match the rods spacing and use cloth pins to hold it in place. Very simple. It can be flipped over in less than a minute.
 I must say the Bearcat ribs are very accurate as each was in perfect alignment as I added the leading and trailing edge. This plane is similar to the Rabe Bearcat but with a much thicker airfoil, two and three eights inches thick. It is not a classic model. It has a smaller wing but larger stabilizer. All the laser cutting is good and light. I am building it to use a ST/46 or a lightened ST/51 if it is needed. It took two hours to punch out and sand everything compared to days doing the Rabe Bearcat.
 More later.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Eric Viglione

Re: Brodak Bearcat wing jig
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
Hey, that is pretty slick Ed! I like wide open jigs like yours so i can verify by eyeball, because i just never fully trust the jigs alone.
EricV

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
The Brodak jig is just about the same as yours. I had a problem when I joined the two wing halves and developed a twist on the ends. For future use I went to WW Grainger and bought two rods that were 6' long and just added a center brace to the jig, that way I can build the entire wing on one constant jig.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:20 AM »
I have built other wings[Falcon] on rod jigs but they were larger in diameter than the Brodak rods. I joined them in the center with a piece of tubing.
Ed

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »
How do you like the bearcat so far. I thinking of getting one ?

Jim

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Jim
 I have both wing panels off the jig. The wing came out with perfect straight leading and trailing edge. All the parts seem well done and from light balsa. The sheeting supplied is poor and heavy. Some of the trailing and  leading edge sheets  were OK the rest I will not use. The control system is OK except it has pushrods that would wear out fast. Just use ball links and all will be OK.  It is not something for a beginner as it is quite a complex build. Joining the center section with dihedral and no center rib requires very careful work. I think I will make a centre rib and cut most of it away.
Ed

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 05:25:39 PM »
Thanks ED. I just ordered  the plans and ribs ect ect and cut my own parts should be here on wed. Or so . I Need to do what you did and order some drill Rod from granger formtHe wing Jig .

I need a engine for her not sure what I'll get or what's available out there what engine do you plan on useing ?

Jim

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
I used arrow shafts, less than $2 each. There are a few differences in brodak plans and Pats plans in the body. I am using Pats plans

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:20:19 AM »
I used the Adjusto-Jig and built the wing on one piece.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »
Eddy where did you get the arrow shafts  I think I need 5/16 dia. .?

Jim

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:30:44 AM »
   Jim   
  Sports Authority.  Fiberglass not aluminum,perfectly straight. About $2 each Buy four so you can build both halfs of the wing at the same time. I finished one half and then built the other half. I used a piece of laminate board just a little bit bigger than the wing panel so I could work on the wing anywhere and not block the table. I screwed the plywood  end pieces to the board and I could lift the wing and flip it over to work on the otherside. I had two balsa plates that went on the rods to help keep them in place. It was the easiest wing I have built in a long time considering the construction is a little bit different than any I had built before. Laminate leading edge and very small trailing edge core,1/8x1/8 then sheeting. It all came out straight. ~^
Ed

Offline JIM Nordin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Thanks eddy

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
Wing halves are done and joined. Wing tips are hollowed and now mounted. Wing weights 9 ounces with out flaps and not sanded smooth yet. H^^
Ed

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »
I personally like carved and hollowed wing tips, is that the way the kit does it ??  They look great !!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 10:19:37 PM »
The plans show a block hollowed out. The kit gave the wrong size blocks so I laminated them to the correct size and hollowed them out. Pretty easy with a dremel type tool.
 I added the planking on the last two ribs as it adds a lot of strength. I will build the stab elevator next week and start the body. Also I am going to cover the wing before putting it in the body.  y1
Ed

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 11:14:36 AM »
I can't see by the picture but if you didn't, it would be a good idea to line the inside (top and bottom) of the wing tip were the lines exit with 1/64th " ply and sand smooth with the tip.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »
That sounds loke a good idea. y1
Ed

Advertise Here
Tags: