News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 61 CXLS Red Head  (Read 10065 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Enya 61 CXLS Red Head
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »
Made the first 4 bench runs on the new Red Head.  5% Nitro, 20% oil[66syn33castor], APC 12-4.  Initially set the needle 3 turns open, and it started up in a med 2-cycle.  Opened the needle one more turn and it settled into a steady 4-cycle.  So I would suggest 4 turns open for a ball park setting prior to 1st start.  It sounded great right from the gitgo , steady and strong .  Forgot to tach it.  The rest of the starts were easy.  One was even a single backflip.  This engine seems to handle much easier than the previous ring version.  I always had issues with getting just  the right amount of  prime  [inverted installation] with the ring engine and especially in cool weather. Several times I would give up and have to get a helper hold the  plane inverted to prevent from flooding.  Seemed like even the smallest amount of prime would load up the plug.  This new ABC engine seems to fire up with a minimal prime.  It is sounding so steady right out the box I already feel comfortable to put it in the air.  Will probably put it in the SV-11 and have it in the air some time this coming week. 
Factory is already sold out, but you can still get one from The Control Line Store on Ebay.  I think he only has 2 or 3 left.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya 61 CXLS Red Head
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »
Not to surprising that it runs beautifully right out of the box. Enya makes beautiful engines and I have always felt that are much under appreciated.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Not to surprising that it runs beautifully right out of the box. Enya makes beautiful engines and I have always felt that are much under appreciated.

I wish they were a little bit more under appreciated, then maybe we could get some!!  ~^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:21:02 PM »
I gave mine its first run yesterday in the backyard which I'd been a bit wary of doing because there are a couple of babies close by but I couldn't wait any longer :).

Prop was an old Master 11x4 to keep a light load and fuel was my usual zero nitro with 25% oil (75 castor, 25 synthetic) and a long reach plug with 2 washers. I'd checked the fully closed point on the needle by blowing through some fuel tube then opened the needle to 3 1/4 turns. Initially I gave it some prime without hooking up the fuel line then flicked the prop a couple of times to burn off most of the prime until it started to sound a little dry. Then hooked up the fuel line, gave a short prime to draw fuel to the venturi and with one flick off it went in a full 4 stroke. Revs were 9100 and head temp with the thermocouple at the base of the plug was 100C which was perfect so I left the needle as set and let it run out the 4 ounce tank which took 5 minutes. At that point, when all was quiet, I heard the baby across the road crying so, not wanting an irate mother with a rolling pin coming at me, I packed it up for another day.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »
Brian;

Is the motor an ABC, AAC type of motor?

Thanks

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
It is ABC as far as I can determine from the instructions. It really is a great engine. I have one that is just about ready to fly, but the cold weather deters me!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:05:54 PM »
Brian;

Is the motor an ABC, AAC type of motor?

Thanks

It is more than likely it is an ABN  nickle  as  the other Enyas  are

Randy

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
But don't they specifically say if their engines are ABN or ABC? (For example, the SS15 is listed as ABC, whereas the 40XZS is stated as ABN.) 

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 07:38:28 PM »
Don't know if one should believe factory literature but under the engine specific operating instructions the specifications read; "Piston-high silicon aluminum alloy *Cylinder Liner...Brass,hard chrome-plated". This one may be a true ABC. Mox-Nix, my bench running sessions have been similar to what has already been posted. I have been very impressed. So far I have only used a header muffler, looking forward to trying it on a pipe. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:27:37 AM »
The new (red head) is definitely ABC because it's only chromed on the interior of the liner. ABN have to be plated all over to avoid discontinuities which can lead to peeling. The ringed version was listed as ABN but was actually a type of Nikasil.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
The new (red head) is definitely ABC because it's only chromed on the interior of the liner. ABN have to be plated all over to avoid discontinuities which can lead to peeling. The ringed version was listed as ABN but was actually a type of Nikasil.

Brian
There are a lot of engines with nickle plating that is brass on the outside, I have dozens of Magnums old TTs  Royals  that  are only plated in the inside, so  no  they do not have to be plated inside and outside
Also the New Enya maybe chrome, maybe nickle, really would not make much difference  ENYA's nickle plating is excellent , and is very good wearing , long lasting, much superior to OS nickle.

Randy

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 02:28:54 PM »
I will second that! The OS coating is specifically stated to be eleectroless nickel. The Enya and Thunder Tiger are electroplated and are much thicker. I did some sections under an electron microscope a few years back to confirm this. True nickel electroplating has a better adhesion to brass and tends to be denser.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
A simple way to test for either nickel or chrome plating is to use one of those super strong magnets. Nickel is ferromagnetic so is attracted to a magnet while chrome isn't. I can definitely feel the attraction in the bore of a TT46 but not in the new Enya.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:01 PM »

I didn't get mine yet  :-\, but itīs on the way.  I sure hope they havenīt change the engine timing. The 61CXRL Ring I have been using works mighty perfectly with 146o total exhaust timing.

Before you guys cut your pipe too short, I suggest you first check the engine timing, if it is around 146o, try the pipe at 20,5" with a 13x3.75 3 prop and 20.00" with a 12.5x3.75 3B.  If you have already a pipe that was already cut, you can order a longer header from MACs, I made the request and they did it for me, it cost just a bit more.

My  Enya 61CXRL Ring  has very different timing from PA/OS/Rojet and works with a much longer pipe setting, so I wonder if it would work better with a custom made tune pipe with a longer cone then regular pipes used with PA/Rojett.

I did start with 18.5" but it was aggressive, start to move the pipe longer and longer until I felt it went to far at 21", went back to 20.5" and that is where works the best  with my setup.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 12:33:56 AM »
Don't know for sure but I suspect the ABC engine is timed lower than the ringed engine. Seemed very mild w/ RE muffler installed. Locked on fast 4 stroke and didn't seem to want to break into a 2. FWIW: I bought the last CSX 61 header that Mac had in stock. He mentioned that he had made a batch for a flier in Brazil-Thanks Martin!, it is a thing of beauty, of course I already cut it shorter...DOH! I will be curious what you find out when you check the timing, that is beyond my skill set.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »
My ringed 61 checked out at exhaust 146, transfer 124 and boost 118. Crankshaft opens at 40ABDC and closes at 55ATDC.
My ABC has exhaust 142, transfer 120 and boost 116. Crankshaft opens at 42ABDC and closes at 52ATDC. I'd hazard a guess that the slight difference in cylinder timing could be due to production tolerances.

Ringed compression is 8.75:1 and ABC is 9.3:1 because of a tighter squish clearance (.0165" from .0265").

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
Would those differences be enough to cause the two engines to run differently? I'm guessing yes however as I am not as knowedgeable as I would like to be when it comes to timing etc., it's only a guess.  ??? Also, although I haven't ran it in awhile I seem to remember that my 61 ABC SE ran very similar. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Put the 61RedHead in the air today.
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Pulled the ringed engine out of the SV-11 last nite and bolted in the RedHead.  Used the same prop, header and pipe (including setting) as before.  Made 3 flights today, first two were short tanked to get a good needle setting.  3rd flight was full tank (Sullivan R-6) and run time was right at 7min on 5% nitro.    Did first half of the pattern and then bailed out because of wind, about 12mph+gusting, we have a real turbulent field with trees close to circle.  This engine had a total of four 3min. bench runs.                 Rest of the setup:

Prop  Majik 13-4.0 2-blade
Pipe   20.75"
Fuel   Morgan 5% Cool Power with 8oz castor added
Plug   Enya#3
Tank  I think the Sullivan R-6 is a little short, maybe 5.5-5.75 actual cap.
SV-11  at 64oz  
Lines   64'  e2e    
Launched at 9600 (just below the 4-2 transition)
Lap times,  in the 5.1-5.2 neighborhood,  plenty of line tension everywhere.  Will go to longer lines next time out,  looking for 5.3-5.4 laps.

I know its still early but I have to say I am thrilled with this engine.  Starting is easier as it does not have the flooding tendency of the ringed motor.   It settled into a steady 4-stroke by the end of 1st lap.  Almost seemed like the RPM at level flight was same as the ground setting. It turns on going uphill and turns off coming down the backside.  Power seems the same or better than the ring motor, and its hard for me to tell difference from the PA65 I had in the Novar last year.  I was amazed at how good it handled and ran with so little time on it.  Its a shame the factory is already sold out on them.  Really glad I bought another one for back up.  I would be curious to know how many they made on this 1st run and if they plan to make any more.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:55:21 AM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Rob Duckering

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 04:31:14 PM »
Just bought one off ebay for $239 US. I'll try it in my legacy and replace the OS46VF.
Duck

Offline John Boys

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:39 AM »
How are you guys finding this engine now that you have a few more months with it?

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 02:51:25 AM »
How are you guys finding this engine now that you have a few more months with it?

Now it is available again.
It seems that Kaz stocks 2 with muffler set.
Aki

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »

Still liking mine a lot.  Runs like a top. Strong, steady, easy starts.  I would get one while still available.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:56:41 AM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline John Boys

• New Pilot
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 05:35:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have just ordered one from Kaz Minato complete with header and muffler. Not sure whether I'll use the muffler or a pipe at this stage. Either way it will be a while before I have a suitable model for it.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have just ordered one from Kaz Minato complete with header and muffler. Not sure whether I'll use the muffler or a pipe at this stage. Either way it will be a while before I have a suitable model for it.

Going to Houston contest this weekend with it still on the pipe.  Planning to try it with muffler in next couple of weeks.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 01:28:29 PM »
Folks;

how is the motor doing now that some of you have some good run/flight time on it?

Thanks

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 08:21:24 PM »
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.  Got about 50 flights total on it now.  Had one lean run, fast 2-cycle for 6-7 minutes.  Turned the red head to a  darker shade, did not phase the engine at all.  Starts easy, runs strong and steady, now using all syn fuel.  May only be a couple left from shutterman on ebay.  Get one while you still can.
Couple changes on my set-up.  As ambient temps warmed up I first went to 7.5 nitro and now I'm using 10%. Either SIG 4-Stroke all syn(18%>20%) or RedMax all syn 22% lube.  Had to install an 8oz tank, previous tank only had 5.75 useable, and now its using about 6.75oz for the pattern.   Using a Falcon 13-4 beech prop, one blade measures 3.9 and the other is 4.1.  Balanced right out the bag, hard to tell the difference from the Majik c/f prop.  Now using a Merlin 2003 plug.  Engine seems very flexible to me, will work with various fuels, plugs and props..  Easy back flip starts, plenty of  power for the 64oz SV-11, should haul a 72oz bird no sweat.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:42:34 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here