News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building a Millennium Wing  (Read 7858 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Building a Millennium Wing
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »
I am starting a build on a Millennium Wing for a Ted Fancher Imitation I am building.  I can take photos and explain each step if there are folks out there that do not know how to build this kind of wing and would like to know how to do it.  The Millennium Wing was made popular by Tom Morris and John Simpson a few years ago.  If you can get your hands on one of Tom's manuals, he shows how to build one in it.

Anyway, If anyone is interested in seeing a pictorial and step by step on how to build one, give me some feedback on here and I will be glad to do it. 

Thanks

Mike
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:49:15 PM by Mike Griffin »

Mike Griffin

Re: Building a Millennium Wing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
I have the Imitation fuselage pretty much finished,

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing your wing build.  y1  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline James Strickland

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:56 AM »
Absolutely, me too please.

James

Offline ron young

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:06:21 AM »
I am always interested in watching the process as i am trying to learn the process of building one of these and thanks for your time and effert
Ron

Mike Griffin

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:27:26 AM »
I will get started as soon as I can get the photos together....

Mike

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
I absolutely love watching others build.  Its always fun, informative and I always learn something new.  Have at her. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Mike Griffin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
Before I get started with photos and the actual build there are a few things I need to mention.  There is an assumption that I must make and that this is a wing with a swept back leading edge and has flaps. (Constant chord wings with flaps are easier to do) but most stunters have a swept back leading edge.    You can build a Millennium wing from any wing shown on a plan this way as long as the wing has FLAPS and it does not matter if it is a built up wing or foam core shown on the plan. With either type of wing the first thing you need to do using the actual plan is to measure in 1/4" from the leading and trailing edge plans drawn on the plan. Then using your 1/4" inset marks, use a red pen or marker and draw a line parallel to the original leading and trailing edge lines on the plan.  What you are doing is creating the 1/4" space that will be where your 1/4" thick leading and trailing edge will sit.  More on this later when we actually start to build the wing.

If you are using a foam wing plan, you will now need to draw the ribs into the outline on the plan.  If you are using a plan where the inboard wing is a little longer than the outboard wing, do not worry about the ribs not being equally spaced when you get to the outboard tips of the wing.  Now find the center of the wing as shown on the plan and using a "T" square, draw your vertical center line or ROOT CHORD line from the leading edge red line (you have previously drawn) to the trailing edge red line(which you have previously drawn).  Measure this line because this is going to be the length of you center rib when you start cutting the riblets. Mark the length of this rib on the plan.  Now Measure over 2" and using the "T" square (use the trailing edge to do this since it is straight) draw a line from the leading edge red line to the trailing edge red line, measure the distance and mark this on the plan.  You will continue doing this for the entire length of the inboard wing and the outboard wing until you have drawn every rib line in the wing between the red lines.  When you measure each one, normally I find that the ribs will decrease in length by 1/8" of an inch all the way to the the tip rib.  For example lets say the root rib (the one in the middle of the wing) is 9 1/2" long.  The rib next to it (we will call it Rib #2) will be 9 3/8" long and so on and so on decreasing in length by 1/8 of an inch till you get to the tip rib.

If the wing plan you are using is a built up wing, use the rib locations that are shown on the plan UNLESS they are more than 2" apart.  In that case I would draw the new ribs into the plan at two inch intervals using the method I described above.

Actually what you are doing with this is LOFTING ribs which is usually done in AUTO CAD.  When it comes time to actually cut the riblets from the airfoil shape of the wing, you will see what I mean because you can take the top and bottom riblet from any rib and place one on the top of a straight line and the bottom of the straight line and you would have the correct shape and length and taper of that particular rib.  But I do not want to get sidetracked here so I will stop for now and start taking some pictures.

Hope this is helping.. Please feel free to ask questions at any point.

Mike

Mike Griffin

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Ok lets go ahead and make up the leading and trailing edges.  Actually these can be made up at anytime.  I make several up ahead of time and just stick them in my moulding rack.

The leading edge and the trailing edge are made up of 3 pieces of balsa sticks.  For the leading edge you will need 4 pcs - 1/4" x 1/2" x sticks and 2 pcs - 1/16 x 1/2 sticks.  For the trailing edge you will need 4- pcs of 1/4" x 1/4" and 2 - pcs of 1/16" x 1/2".  All pieces are 36" long.

I use Elemer's white glue to glue up the 3 piece edges but you can use whatever glue you prefer.  Lay two pieces of 1/4" x 1/2" flat on your building surface with the 1/2" side flat on the surface.  Place the piece of 1/16" x 1/2" between these two pieces.  Apply your glue to both pieces of the 1/4 x 1/2 pieces on the 1/4" sides, stand the piece of 1/16 x 1/2" on its edge and sandwich it in between the other two pieces and press firmly together to form the "T" shaped 3 piece leading edge.. remember you will need two of these for the whole leading edge of the wing.  You can either pin these together and down or use a straight edge on each side of them and?or weight them down.  Here are pictures of what I just described:

Mike Griffin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
For the trailing edge you will need a total of 4 - pcs of 1/4" X 1/4" and 2 - Pcs of 1/16" x 1/2" .  Just construct them as you did for the the leading edge pieces...again you will need two of these for the wing.

Let me say this about warp in these pieces.  If the warp is minor and is warped in the horizontal plane, do not worry about it because when you put it into the jig blocks and start adding riblets it will make no difference as they will straighten out.  If they are warped in the VERTICAL plane, do not use them and get another piece to use.  The easiest way to do this is to pick the best pieces from the very start.

Ok  next we will go to the fun part of cutting the riblets.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
Put the 3 piece leading and trailing edges to the side now because we are about to get into the heart of the wing and that is cutting the 1/4" wide rib strips.  You can cut these out of the thickness of your choice.  I use 3/32nds x 4" wide contest balsa.  When I first started doing these wings I was using 1/16th contest stock and they broke if you breathed on them so I went to 3/32nds and the weight difference was negligible.  

Go back to your wing plan and if you have not done so already, look at the spar on the wing plan.  More than likely it is going to show 1/4" square stock for the spars but it really doesn't matter.  What DOES matter is if the spar is swept back like the leading edge or if it is straight.  More than likely it will be swept back like it is on the Imitation.  My advice to you is to drop down a little and draw the spar in STRAIGHT as I am showing below in my drawing of the Imitation wing.  Side note:  I like to redraw the wing on Velum to show the straight spar but again that is a personal choice of mine, you can redraw the spar line right on the plan if you wish.  When you redraw the spar, leave some room for the adjustable leadout guide to function within its normal range. The outboard end of the spar will be a little closer to leading edge but that makes no difference in building this wing.  The model does not know where the spar is.

Once you have redrawn the spar as straight Or left it where it was originally, measure up from the red line you drew at the trailing edge to where the rib intersect the spar.  This distance will be the part of the rib slice where the spar is going to hit that particular rib slice and it may not be the high part of the rib. I just use a ruler and mark the 6 3/4" (that is the measurement for the Imitation) or whatever the measurement is on your wing from the back of the rib slice. As you lay each rib slice on the plan to mark the spar location you will find that marks on the rib slices will move progressively toward the front of the rib as you get further outboard from the center.  On my hand drawn plan you can see it but probably cannot make it out.  It is 6 3/4".  You are probably beginning to see why it is simpler to make the spar straight.  Tom Morris once told me avoid a swept spar at all costs if you can avoid it.  Since he and John came up with this, who am I to argue. All my spars are straight.  On the tip rib slice on my Imitation, the spar location is 1" back from the leading edge which means the total length of the tip rib slices are 7 3/4" long.

Here is how you cut your rib slices. Make a template from the root rib on the plan.  I cut the rib out of the plan and glue it to a piece of either 1/16th birch plywood or 1/8" soft ply and make a template of the rib as you see in the picture below.  Measure the length of the chord in the center of the wing.  If it is 9 1/2" (I am using the Imitation wing as and example and the chord of your wing will vary) cut a 4" wide piece of 3/32nd contest balsa 9 1/2" long.  Using the template, drop down enough that you can use your exacto to cut along the top edge of the template to make the airfoil.  Once that is done, measure down the leading edge of the piece of balsa and make little marks 1/4" apart and do the same thing at the high part of the rib.  You can make a jig to do this if you are going to make more than one wing.  Tom Morris gave me one he made for the Cavalier and I show a photo of it below if you want to make one.  I have done this so much that I just eyeball the width of the rib slice and cut them.  After a while of you doing it, you will be able to just eyeball it, slip your template down 1/4" and cut the slices.  

Go to your next Outboard rib or rib # 2 or however you designate them and measure it .... on mine wing the next rib was 9 3/8 long so I adjust the piece of balsa sheet and cut it 9 3/8" long and start cutting rib strips again.  You do this until you have each rib strip cut for the entire wing.  Cut each length is sets of 4 because that is how many rib strips you will need for each rib position.

When get all this finished you will have about 60 ribs strips total and they will be different lengths in sets of four.

Next take a piece of paper or a cutting mat with measurements on it and do what i show below on the sheet of paper.  You have to trim the back of the rib so it will sit as flat as possible on the 1/4" ledge you created when you built you 3 piece leading and trailing edges.  Use a Sharpie with a fine point because the width of the mark is about 1/16th of an inch and draw a straight line as i did so you can lay your rib strips touching the line as I have shown so you can cut the correct angle at the back of the rib so it will sit flat on the ledge of the trailing edge.  DO NOT DO THIS FOR THE LEADING EDGE OF THE WING.  STOP.. before you cut this angle you have to know how thick the trailing edge of your wing is.  If it is 1/4" thick then you want to put a mark on the back of the rib 3/32nds of an inch from the top of the rib slice.  Here is why, when you install the ribs (both top and bottom, allowing for the 1/16th ledge, you will have the 1/4" trailing edge you need.  Now you have to sand the trailing edge down to the height of the back of the rib but you have plenty to play with since the trailing edge at this point is 9/16" high.  

If the thickness of your trailing edge is 3/8", then you want to come down 1/8" or in the center of the back of the rib and cut your angle using the same process.  Honestly folks, I just come down 1/8" in both cases because I have found that it is not that critical of a measurement.  I just come down to half of the thickness of the back of the rib strip and put a pencil dot and eyeball where the line on the paper touches the rib and make my cut.  Looking at the picture below will help a lot.

Ok I have writers cramp so I am going to stop here and post some pictures....

Mike Griffin

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
The first picture shows the rib strips put together before the angle is cut on the back.  The second picture shows the rib strips after the angle in back is cut and the third picture shows you the root and tip ribs with the angle cut so you can see how much taper there is in the wing.  The last picture is a drawing I did to show the spar straightened out and the distance from the trailing edge to the spar.

The next series I will show and write about is how we will determine the height of the spar at the root and at the tip. THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST CRITICAL MEASUREMENT OF ALL IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF THIS WING.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
More pictures of wing

Mike Griffin

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
I am going to rest for a while.. be back later..

Mike

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
Thanks Mike, looking forward to your "online manual".

Dennis
 :)
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Mike Griffin

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:56:16 PM »
Thank you Dennis,  it is going to take some time but I am enjoying it...

Mike

Offline ron young

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »
Thanks Mike,great job and i really appreciate your efforts
Ron

Mike Griffin

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
Now that you have all of your rib slices cut and trimmed at the back, it is time to start building the spar.  This is probably the most critical part of building the whole wing because you have to the the height of the spar at the root and the height at the tip correct.  DO NOT USE THE PLANS FOR THIS MEASUREMENT, USE THE ACTUAL PARTS (RIBS SLICES) THAT YOU JUST CUT.

Make sure you lay your rib strips out on the rib lines and make sure the length is right. Put the front tip and the back tip on the rib line between your red lines and make sure they are the correct length. Also make sure you have marked each rib slice where the spar will intersect with it.  

Take two rib slices for the root rib and two slices of the tip rib and face them toward a straight line so that they form a complete rib and air foil.  See picture below.

You will notice that my ruler is measuring the width of the root rib and tip rib where the spar marks are.  The root rib in this example is 2 1/8" Thick or high and the tip rib measures 1 3/4 thick or high and please excuse the back of the tip rib slipping apart just a little but the measurement is supposed to be 1 3/4".

Write these two measurements down because we are about to cut the spar.

CUTTING THE SPAR

Take a 5 ft rule or some kind of straight edge and draw a line on a piece of plywood or a board or if you have a glass top you can do it like I show.  I select some fairly hard 1/8" x 3" x 36" balsa sheets and draw a line right down the center of each sheet (2 sheets total)

Once you have the center line drawn on the two sheets (they should be 1 1/2" down from the edge).  I then cut the sheet off in length to an inch or so longer that the wingspan less the tips.  I cut these at 28".
at the end you designate to be the root end, measure up the appropriate distance from the center line on each side of the line to get your root chord measurement.  In my example I marked up from the line on the root end 1 1/16" and down from the center line 1 1/16" to get my 2 1/8" total width for the root.  On the tip I had a total of 1 3/4" that i needed in height so I went 7/8" on both sides of center line and then made my cuts.  Please check the illustration below in my next post.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:37:36 PM by Mike Griffin »

Mike Griffin

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »
Illustrations:

Mike Griffin

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
Now that you have your two sheets of 1/8" marked for cutting, take your straight edge and connect the appropriate marks on each end and cut you two spar halves with the proper taper.  Once that is done you take your two spar halves, butt them together at the root and make sure the line on the spar is in line with the line on your work bench top.  I usually tape both spars down so they do not move.  Slide a piece of wax paper under the center butt joint and glue them together.  Now you have a spar that is the right width at the root and tip and has the proper taper.  Easy huh?

Mike Griffin

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
The spar is not finished at this point but you do have the core made for it.  At this point, I would cut the slot for the bellcrank because the bell crank post is going to run through the middle of the spar.  Cut your slot for the bellcrank as shown in the photo and make it according to the size bellcrank you use.  I am using a 4 1/2" bell crank in my spar.  From this point on I will tell you how I finish the spar and if you can find a way that suits you better please do it.  I cut my plywood reinforcements for the spar either out of 1/64 or 1/32 ply.  1/64 has gotten so high that I am using 1/32 because that is what I had on hand at the time.  You will notice that I cut the strip of ply with forked ends and this is done so as not to create a stress point by blunt cutting the ends.  I cut these two pieces of plywood 30" long for each side of the spar.  I apply the ply reinforcement piece on one side only and when it dries, I flip it over and cut the bellcrank slot in the plywood using the cut out in the balsa as a template.  Then I glue the other side on, flip it over and cut that slot out of the ply so now my bell crank slot runs all the way through the spar.  T install the bell crank, I simply drill down from the top edge using a 3/32 or 1/8 drill bit so the hole runs all the way through the spar and the slot.  I then take my 1/8" piece of music wire, thread it through the hole and through the bellcrank and out the bottom.  You do not need to use a wheel collar on each side of the bell crank, I usually just use a couple of washers on top and bottom of the bell crank.

Offline Jeff Prosser

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
Hi Mike
When you are cutting the riblets, and you go to the next size down, how do you align the template in a fore and aft position ?  I can't visualise how to do this and still maintain a constant aerofoil shape.  There is something I am missing here but making the riblet shorter seems to alter the shape of the aerofoil.

Regards
Jeff

Mike Griffin

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »
Hi Jeff

If you look at a complete set of ribs on a plan for a plane that has a double tapered wing, you will notice that as the ribs get shorter as they span out from the root to the tip, they not only become shorter in length but they also be come thinner in height but the shape of the airfoil does not change.  Lets say that the root chord rib length overall is 9 1/2 inches and we will call this rib # 1 and the leading edge sweeps back.  Rib # 2 might be 1/8" shorter than rib one and rib #3 is 1/8" shorter than #2. and so on and so on until you get to the tip rib.  When you put the two riblets together to shape the rib they automatically are adjusted for the proper taper.

If in need 60 riblets total for the wing, I might cut them all the length of the root rib and then you lay them on the plan where the rib is and cut them to length and cut the angle on the back to sit on the ledge of the trailing edge piece.  You will be cutting them shorter and shorter as you get toward the tip.  Just use whatever rib you are cutting on the plan for a template to cut by.

Does this answer your question or have I confused you even more?

Mike

Mike Griffin

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »
To finish the spar, you now need to cut the slots in the spar for the rib slices.  Do this by laying the spar on the wing plan or the drawing of the wing you did and mark each location on the spar.  The Rib slices are cut 1/4" thick so make sure your slots in the spar are at least 1/4" deep.  You want the top of the riblet to be even with the top of the spar.  Since I use 3/32" this balsa for the rib strips, I tape two hacksaw blades together and hand saw each slot and then take a narrow file to widen the gap if I have too.  So lets recap the construction of the spar.  We cut the two pieces of the spar out of 1/8" material and lined them up with the long line on your workbench.  We then glued the two together at the root and cut the initial slot for the bellcrank to rotate through.  You will notice that I also cut a notch top and bottom for the ball swivel to clear.  I then layed the spar on the plan, marked where the rib slices will be and then cut 1/4" deep slots for the rib slices.  The last thing I did was install the bell crank in the middle of the spar.  The pictures below illustrate all of this.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »
Next step is to start putting all the parts together. 

You will notice that I use a wing building table that I purchased from Tom Morris a few years ago but you can build one just fine by using angle Iron or any means you like to secure the jig blocks that will hold them in place as you build the wing.  Off to take some more pictures.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »
Mike,
This is a great presentation.  Very detailed and interesting.  I've obviously been building for a long time but have never built a mellinium wing. Some similarity to an I beamer but still a lot different.  Waiting to see it go together.
I've had the Jig sets from Tom for about 15 years or so and never used them...

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Mike Griffin

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
Thank you Randy I am glad to do it.

The jig blocks I use I bought from Tom Morris and they come in sets of 12.  6 for the leading edge and 6 for the trailing edge.  As you can see I made a crude drawing of the wing and taped it to the bed of the building table and then placed my blocks to hold the leading and trailing edges.  I have found it is easier to do one side of the wing at a time.  Just take some of the rib strips and place them in the slots in the spar, set the spar on the table and start getting a few of the rib strips glued in place.  I usually start with a rib # 2 and then about a 5 or 6 and then one towards the tip on both sides.  This is kind of an awkward moment when you star adding the ribs strips with the spar dangling out in space but one you get a few glued in to hold everything together, it is clear sailing from then on.  All you do then is add all the strips to one side of the wing and then flip the wing over and put the rib strips in place on the other side.  Once this is done you can add your wing tips and sheeting and finish up your wing.  Notice that I have a section of the inboard spar removed so the lines can move freely if you adjust your leadout guide.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
More pictures

Mike Griffin

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »
This last post just shows you how the wings look either fully sheeted (this is my preferred method) or with open bays and cap strips.  Either way if you build these wings in these jig blocks you will never get a crooked or warped wing and they will be extremely light and strong.

The last thing you do is sand the leading and trailing edges to shape and install them in the fuselage.

I hope this set of instructions and pictures has helped you get a better idea of how a Millennium Wing is built and how easy it actually is... good luck and have fun.

Mike

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
Great work Mike.
Thanks for posting all this.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Mike Griffin

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
You are welcome Marcus...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »
I too have a set of Tom's wing jig blocks in the shop.   They have been used on several planes.  Your wings look so much better than mine did.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here