News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:15:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fairey Baracuda Prototype 3 view wanted.  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fairey Baracuda Prototype 3 view wanted.
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
I am looking for the 3 view for the prototype which did not have a "T" tail. Anybody got one.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fairey Baracuda Prototype 3 view wanted.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
Wayne,

never saw a 3 view but the Profile Pub has a fuse side view. I have it in PDF form if you would like it. It's to big to post.

john

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
I have a PDF form magazine that has a photo and some other info - no 3-view of the first prototype - but a side view similar to the one John has posted -

I'll include some reduced size jpgs here - I can get you a copy of the entire PDF but it's 50 Meg. and can't be uploaded in one piece anywhere that I
have access to -

Can you handle multipart files broken up with "HJSplit" ?  You can contact me by PM if you want to try to work something or just email me -

mikeainia'at'windstream.net

Anyway, here are some page samples that have photos or artwork of the first prototype (the 2nd, and all operational variants had the T-Tail).

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »
I've always wanted to build a Baracuda, I think it would be a great flyer. It has about the same moments as a MO-1 but isn't. Some very cool color schemes too. y1                          Mike
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
Thanks guys. I found the sied view also on this site http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/2-Airplanes/Allies/3-UK/British-Airplanes.htm

Lots of good stuff ther but no 3 view. I do somewhat recolect Dave Wallick had a Barracuda Class 2 and I dint hve the "T" tail. I'll just keep looking. Any iformation via e-mail is welcome. I like the layout of the airplane for sure. It might be a nice subject for our events but not much good without a 3 view.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
take a peek at these.

Tom Wilk

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
There is a magazine that I get from England called AEROPLANE MONTHLY that is worth every penny to get.

Anyways...the May 2009 issue had a 21 page article on the Fairey Barracuda complete with a 3-view, cutaway drawing, color side views, pictures from the carriers and other locations.

The article has a 3-view with the T-tail, no 3-view of the prototype. But does have two photographs of the prototype in the article.

You can order a back issue from the publisher of this issue...

http://www.kelseyshop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_171_224

Good luck,
Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
For me (as an ED) a 3-view of the Mark I (or II) along with the side view shown in one of the above color plates (that shows the prototype with 'low tail') would be sufficient.  Note though, that the prototype with low-stab has a different rudder/fin outline than any other variant.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
Yes the prototype's fin was different, in fact I believe there were a couple of prototype fin variations. I think a prototype side view with a T tail 3 view would be OK for bonus points.

There was a plan of a prototype version drawn by someone up in Minnesota I think, but the details are fuzzy. I'll look around and see what I can find.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
Mike Shull from Florida drew informal plans for both a 15 and 35 profile with the prototype tail. They were in the carrier newsletter sometime in the 90's. I didn't find them in my quick scan through old issues, but I'll bet I have them somewhere. There was a rubber scale Barracuda in the December 1973 American Aircraft Modeler. I vaguely remember the article, but I don't have that issue in my collection. I'm thinking that was also the low tail prototype, and there may have been three views or photos of the real airplane. I would think that using the low tail profile drawing in conjunction with the production model three view would be adequate. Interesting prototype, except the flaps always looked like an afterthought!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:59:54 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
Here are scans of Mike Shull's plans from the May/ June 2000 NCS newsletter.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 04:41:52 AM »
This is fun. I have spent the whole weekend on and off looking for the three views of the prototype and nothing yet.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
Another source for 3-views is Bob's Aircraft Documentation. You can look at his list of 3-views are in the catalog (PDF) but for the oddball stuff it's worth calling him and see if he has anything that is not listed in the catalog yet.

www.bobsairdoc.com

Bob has the largest 3-view collection available

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
You might ask Bill Calkins for a copy of the prototype 3-view. He may still have the one that Bill Melton used for his scale plane.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 05:13:34 AM »
Bill Calkins are you out there.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Wayne,
seems to me that you could adequately document the plane with the profile data, actual pictures and a production 3 view. If you check the rules they allow for that.
John

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »
Thanks John, I plan on doing that.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
Wayne,

I see two issues with the Barracuda for a scale design, the flaps and gear. Are you designing something for scale or profile?

John

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:00 AM »
I was thinking Profile. It was the high wing that caught my eye.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
Wayne,
It is almost a 3 view, shows all variants anyway.

John

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 09:34:25 PM »
And I keep finding stuff

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 05:05:30 AM »
Thanks John, you must have a bunch of information buried all over the place. These drawings do help a lot. I would really attempt this airplane as a profile. It sure would make a nice alternative to the dreaded MO-1 which I do detest greatly. Currently I am now working on a Fairey Firefly T-2 for profile. This airplane is based on a Fairey profile design by my carrier friend Dan Radway here in the Cleveland area. I'll post some pictures when I have made some significant progress. I got a chance to see a Firefly Mk-1 in person in Thailand at the Royal Thai Air Force Museum when my wife and I were there in 2008. The T-2 is an interesting variant amongst many Firefly Mks. No question about this one having a hook. Thanks again for the drawings John.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 05:35:06 AM »
Heres a picture of a Fairey Firefly MK 1 at The Royal Thai Air Force Museum in Bangkok (DonMuang) Thialand that my wife and I visited in 2008. Thay also have a rare SB2c and a Bearcat. the Firefly still had its hook.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here