News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: John Miske; The Father of Old Time Stunt-October 19, 1932- November 6, 2014  (Read 4210 times)

Offline De Hill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Larry Scarinzi called and told me that Elaine Miske, (John's wife) had just called him and told him that John passed away this morning. Several years ago, John had a stroke, and has been in declining health since then.

John started modeling in the 1940's with solid and rubber powered kits. In 1945, Santa brought him a Rocket .46. The next day, John went down to the local hobby shop and bought a Stanzel Tiger Shark. Several airplanes and engines followed ending with a Fox .35 powered Barnstormer in 1951. Now, he had an airplane that would do all the tricks!

John was drafted into the Army in February ,1953. He was sent to Karlsrue Germany, and met in to Lt. Ed Burns, and they started flying together. They went to the London to attend the 1954 British Nationals at RAF Waterbeach where John entered stunt with a Fox .35 powered Barnstormer. He only got one flight, and found out later that he had placed second.

John joined the Garden State Circleburners in 1963, and was president for 11 years total. For 7 years he helped out with the dinner dance which was a big fundraiser. Larry Scarinzi also helped out even though he was busy with his bicycle shop. John was awarded with a lifetime membership with the Circleburners for his efforts with the club.

In 1969 a speed event was dropped from the Circleburners October contest. A few of the members wondered if an event could be held which would allow them to use some of their older models. From this suggestion, John developed Old Time Stunt, using 1951-1952 AMA rulebook stunt pattern. The event was to be flown using designs no newer than December 31, 1951. To be qualified, the models had to be listed in magazine articles (kitted) or published as a magazine article prior to 1953.

John had a complete collection of model magazines (Air Trails, Model Airplane News, and Flying Models) He listed all the Stunt Kits and another Garden State Circleburner member listed all the construction articles that would qualify for the O.T.S. event. As long as it was kitted or published, in a magazine or book prior to 1953, it could easily be confirmed as elgible.

The first Old Time Stunt event was held on October 4, 1970 at the GSCB field in New Jersey. John Miske was the event director for OTS, and there were 17 entries. Bob Hunt won open with his Veco Mustang, and John D'attavio placed second with his Debolt All American Senior. Tom Niebuhr came up from St. Louis to fly his Barnstormer, and Jimmy Dammerell flew a duplicate of the Sterling Ringmaster factory demonstrator. Wayne Colgan won jr/sr OTS combined.

After the first OTS contest, word spread around the USA and to other countries. This was a fun event with a slightly different pattern. He supplied copies of the OTS rules, and the two lists of approved airplanes and plans for the old designs to all who wrote or called. The rafters of John's basement were full of plans for the Old Time stunt planes. This was necessary because there were and are some very inaccurate OTS plans being sold. (John called them "sweetened" plans) The money from the sale of the plans went into the GSCB treasury.

Old Time Stunt was first flown at the Riverside nats in 1977. It grew in popularity through the 1970's and '80's and is still being flown at most controline contests.

John operated an old fashioned hobby shop (John's Clifton Hobbies) in Clifton, NJ from August 1992 thru September 2001

John Miske accomplished many more things than I have written here. His biography will be published in an upcoming Controline World magazine.

De Hill

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:36:24 AM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Sad to hear this news.  John's idea for OTS caught on, and is popular today.  He was very encouraging when I first told him about the plans for the first VSC.  In fact he attended one year.  It was a pleasure to meet him.

Rest in peace, my friend.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline stunt1

• ACE
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
My prayers and sincerest regrets go out to Elaine. He was one of the greats that made stunt what it was when I was in the competition world. He through a great contest and always had nothing but nice things to say about everyone.

GOD BLESS on your next journey
Bob "Champione" Lampione
New York Stunt Team
AMA-605

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
This is really sad news.  I did not know John as well as you guys did, but he was always a real gentleman.  God Bless his family.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
De.
Yes I traveled from St Louis with a Barnstormer to meet with my old GSCB friends. I took 3rd to Hunt and D'Ottavio in that inaugural OTS meet. We actually talked to each other before the contest to make sure that we didn't all build the same airplane.

I CD'd the second OTS contest in St Louis the following summer. John Davis won that one with an All American Sr. The event has become an international event. Thanks to John and then Mike Keville.

I published a remake of the Curtiss Swift in Stunt News as a tribute John.

I talked to John and Elaine frequently over the years. I will miss him.

God Speed John.

AMA 7544

Offline Rick England

• New Pilot
John taught me how to fly Contol Line at GSCB. This wouldn't be a big deal, except that I was so young (and small) that the lines going to my Lil Wizzard would drag in the grass making it impossible to take off.  John would walk out, stand in the circle, pick me up, seat me his hip and after take off let me fly. John helped and coached my flying until I could fly on my own, and fly in "Youngest Flier" contests at GSCB. He "infected" me (and before me, my dad) with Modeling. I purchased my first "almost ready to fly" (yes I cheated myself out of the build) RC glider in college. I brought it to John because it "didn't look very straight".  John just grinned (as he always does) and then calmly walked me through why in his words... "ARF's? Well Rick, they're just..Arrffs"). I (sadly) returned it to the manufacturer, and purchased a balsa kit where I experienced the joy of building first hand.  I completed it, and flew it with my dad just before he passed away.  John started me flying and building.  I simply love it, and I've never turned back. I've kept in touch and seen John and Elaine as frequently as possible. When John suffered the stroke, I thought "I've lost him". But against the odds (and the Dr's), Elaine brought John back. (Watching Navy Carrier at GSCB, I learned that aircraft can fly fast; but they can also fly slow… and very well.) The stroke slowed John down, but until his passing he was sharp, deeply witty, and still grinning. I've never flown OTS, but it just might be time to start building a ship..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here