News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don McClave  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
Don McClave
« on: July 05, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
Don McClave of Portland, Ore., a longtime stunt flier, judge, coach and mentor, died July 4, according to Paul Walker, whom Don had coached on his way to national and world championships in control-line precision aerobatics. Paul had visited Don on Thursday, June 30. Don had been battling the affects of Alzheimer's disease for the past several years.

Don had been a speed flier in his early years and returned to the sport in the late 1970s, focusing on aerobatics. He flew Precision Aerobatics, Classic Stunt and Old-Time Stunt, but he also was known as a tremendous supporter of the control-line hobby. In later years, Don built one new plane each winter and handed on the previous year's plane to some other Northwest flier. In non-modeling life, he was a banker, the director of the Portland Chamber of Commerce and then a fundraiser for Portland State University.

Don is survived by his wife, Chris, and son, Andrew.

Walker reports that Don's family is planning a memorial service for sometime in August. Information will be posted here as it becomes available. "From Flying Lines"

Sad Day for me..Thanks for ALL that you have done for the hobbie..and ME  :'(

Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Don McClave
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
Scott,
I heard from Paul today
I know this devastates you and Paul both, I am sorry for the loss to you personally and to the control line community in the North West as a whole
Give me a call some evening when you feel up to it Scott, and thanks for posting this , Don was a great asset to our small clan
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jack Pitcher

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
This is such sad news. I’ve been aware of Don’s fight with Alzheimer’s and the probable conclusion but this is still a hard hit to take.

I will be forever in debt to Don for taking me under his wing when I came into the stunt world back about 1985. He taught me the basics and supported and encouraged me as my experience progressed. He loaned me airplanes to fly when mine were inadequate. He set up and provided good engines for me to use and provided them at low costs or even free. He coached my flying efforts and gave me good advice and provided accurate criticism when I needed it. I can still hear his voice when I’m flying. There can be no doubt that I owe him so much for everything I’ve learned along the way.

There can also be no doubt that Don had a powerful influence in our stunt world particularly in the Northwest. Many of us can testify to the experience of Don showing up on our doorsteps to hand over airplanes and engines gratis that he felt he no longer needed and wanted to pass on to help others.

Don has and always will occupy a prominent place in the memories of my stunt experience over the last three decades. Thank you and rest in peace my friend.
Jack Pitcher
Vortex Stunt Team
AMA 65309

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
Sad news, indeed.  I'd known Don since the late '80s.  A real gentleman.  He will be missed.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:11:35 AM »
This never seems to get any easier.  We know that Don's suffering from this terrible disease is over and Don is in a better place.  Still it is hard and difficult for those of us left behind.  Don was a kind man, generous, and one of the most decent men I have had the pleasure of knowing.  I always thought he was the guy with the "built in grin".  He would occasionally call me and want to know if he could stop by my shop and look through my collection of plans.  If he borrowed a set he always returned them with a couple of new copies.  If you are watching tonight Don, save me a place.  I'll look forward to seeing your grin again!  Respectfully,  Roy DeCamara

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
Another legend gone.  I had been thinking about him as I had not seen his name in any of the reports.  I got the privalage of launching his plane at VSC one year for a practice flight.  Had seen him at various venues around the country and reports in the magazines.  To me he was the ultimate gentleman. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »
This is such sad news. I’ve been aware of Don’s fight with Alzheimer’s and the probable conclusion but this is still a hard hit to take.

I will be forever in debt to Don for taking me under his wing when I came into the stunt world back about 1985. He taught me the basics and supported and encouraged me as my experience progressed. He loaned me airplanes to fly when mine were inadequate. He set up and provided good engines for me to use and provided them at low costs or even free. He coached my flying efforts and gave me good advice and provided accurate criticism when I needed it. I can still hear his voice when I’m flying. There can be no doubt that I owe him so much for everything I’ve learned along the way.

There can also be no doubt that Don had a powerful influence in our stunt world particularly in the Northwest. Many of us can testify to the experience of Don showing up on our doorsteps to hand over airplanes and engines gratis that he felt he no longer needed and wanted to pass on to help others.

Don has and always will occupy a prominent place in the memories of my stunt experience over the last three decades. Thank you and rest in peace my friend.

Jack..So well said. I thank you. He was rich with knowledge, and kind with his endeavors to all clubs in the NW, PAMPA, USA Stunt Team. Don was part of my life in more then I can say here. He touched my Mother in her waning days. THEY both knew others friends from North Dakota. My family flew Control line planes in the early 50's. There are so many stories that are now gone.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:43:02 PM by Scott B. Riese »
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:20:35 PM »
Well said Jack and Scott. I've known Don also from the early 80's. He was a great help getting myself and many others going in the Stunt world. His contribution will be missed for sure. If ever there was an example of Tenacity it had to Don McClave, he worked hard to achieve his goals. Don gave me many airplanes and helped me a bunch. Thank you, Don.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here