News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To cool or not to cool  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
To cool or not to cool
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Hello,
To be or not to be of the electric motors.

You cool properly - they survive.
You cool improperly/insufficiently - they die.

AXI2826/12 V2 has the internal, centrifugal cooling fan.
Cobra2826/12 does not.

I saw Cobra 3515/18 front installed in the large plane with 5S 2800mAh LiPo and the motor had the centrifugal cooling fan on the aft part of the shaft.

Some say: "if your motor is getting hot (how hot is really hot and dangerous after landing...150 deg.F?, 175 deg.F?) get a bigger motor.
Some say: "design the cooling ducts properly, force the air to sufficiently cool the rotor and the problem is gone".

I say: I do not like pushing the machinery or/and system, whatever it is, to the limits of performance as this is not good engineering.

Please express your opinions, possibly based on experience and temperature measurements.

"Learning never stops and when it stops this means you are dead"
Regards,
Matt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: To cool or not to cool
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
I have no experience with 'lectric stunt (it doesn't smell right, and it's too quiet!).

From electronics design I know that a little bit of airflow goes a long way -- heat doesn't go away by itself, it either needs to radiate, or it needs to be carried away.  In a world full of air, the usual best way is air flow.

From working with servomechanisms and electric drive systems I know that two motors with the same Kv rating will pretty much act the same EXCEPT that a motor that's proportionally bigger in every way will have a lower winding resistance and so generate less heat internally, it'll have more thermal mass and so get less hot for the same heat, and it'll have more surface area and so be able to shed heat into whatever air is around it (assuming the air is of lower temperature than the motor).  So going to a bigger motor fixes a whole lot of problems -- but not necessarily for the right reasons, if you're already nose-heavy.

I would love to see someone do some experiments with airflow vs motor heat, with various combinations of airflow from fans and ram airflow.  But it's a heck of a lot of work for no material gain, and there seems to be a lot of successful electric stunters out there.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:44 AM »
AXI2826/12 V2 has the internal, centrifugal cooling fan.
Cobra2826/12 does not.

Every classic outrunner like we use them has "natural" fan. So also Cobra pumps air. So the ventilator on AXI 2826 V2 helps only slightly. If I compare V1 (it did not have that fan) and V2 the temperature difference is less then 5 degrees C. However better to have it 5 deg less then more, especially if it runs really hot. I more prefere heat sink it has better effect.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:43:36 AM »
how hot is really hot and dangerous after landing

I can speak for AXI, what I know from maker and experience (it depends on components)

60 degrees celsia already makes life time of bearing shorter, but it is value for R/C flyers, if you fly C/L stunt and especially with 2 blade prop, it will kill bearing anyway, because of other reasons, especially if orriginal grease is dissolved by additional liquid oiling

80 degrees is still acceptable for the motor, but that is temperature of STATOR (stator makes the heat) so it must be measured on stator side, not the rotor, rotor contains magnets which will fail earlier then winding in stator, so rotor must be cooler

I remember 100 degrees C in really hot air in WCh Bulgaria. I also remember burned AXI of my friend in the same day, same prop and the same setup, so that is probably really highes acceptable extreme tempearture. Magnets will fail little over 100deg C, so if the stator has 100, it will soak to magnets, damage them and it will burn in next flight.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:53:26 AM »
From working with servomechanisms and electric drive systems I know that two motors with the same Kv rating will pretty much act the same EXCEPT that a motor that's proportionally bigger in every way will have a lower winding resistance and so generate less heat internally, it'll have more thermal mass and so get less hot for the same heat, and it'll have more surface area and so be able to shed heat into whatever air is around it (assuming the air is of lower temperature than the motor).  So going to a bigger motor fixes a whole lot of problems -- but not necessarily for the right reasons, if you're already nose-heavy.

Exactly, larger motor goes slightly cooler. However it does not mean that it generates less heat. Larger motor have lower resistance and thus lower copper loses, but more iron, so it heats the core more, fortunately it is larger so it can easily radiate much better. The other good thing is that resistance goes down with power of 2, so larger motor will really benefit on size to some extent.

However very important reason why larger motor heats less is that we fly them little overloaded. It means copper loses are larger than iron loses. Larger motor will move loses ratio to iron and that means it will run at higher efficiency than smaller motor, that will also make it run cooler.

And why we fly them overloaded? Because it is airplane, and airplane needs to be light. Ligh airplane will need less power and less power make less loses and that will make also smaller motor run "not so hot" :- ))

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:49:45 AM »
Tim, Igor,
The experience has taught me that when I start digging deep enough the "things" usually complicate instead of getting simpler but it is ok with me.

Igor,

You wrote:"So also Cobra pumps air". How? If I take my Cobra 2826/12 and run it without propeller at safe static RPM., say 5,000... Will this motor pump the air? Will I be able to feel the directional air flow through the motor along the shaft axis? Please note directional. The rotating parts will disturb the air inside the motor and there will be some air movement around the motor due to thermal convection but I doubt this movement will be directional along the shaft axis. I can lit a cigarette (I do not smoke but will this time), blow the smoke into the plastic bag, let it cool to ambient temperature to avoid the additional convection and release it slowly around the running motor to see what is happening.

Copper losses v/s iron losses and efficiency? I have to read more about it as this is extremely interesting.

I have received the photo of your heat sink for AXI in the rear mount configuration from Keith R. and immediately asked myself the question: will this heat sink work efficiently when the motor is front mounted? The answer is rather not.

Because I am going to front mount all the motors in my future planes, I am looking for the best cooling solution for this type of mount.

Tim,
You wrote: "I would love to see someone do some experiments with airflow vs motor heat, with various combinations of airflow from fans and ram airflow.  But it's a heck of a lot of work for no material gain, and there seems to be a lot of successful electric stunters out there."

If I manage to do this what I am planning to do, I will publish on this forum the results of my tests. I will do it only if the results are numerical and will make all the details available for the C/L community. Peter German (SUI) does always the same and I truly appreciate his "community spirit".

"Learning never stops and when it stops this means you are dead".

Going flying with my eParrot now. By the way: I made a little inlet for the air to cool the ESC and the ESC heat sink temperature immediately after 5 min. pattern flight in 20 deg. C ambient temperature dropped from 45 to 29 deg.C.

Regards,
Matt

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »

You wrote:"So also Cobra pumps air". How? If I take my Cobra 2826/12 and run it without propeller at safe static RPM., say 5,000... Will this motor pump the air? Will I be able to feel the directional air flow through the motor along the shaft axis? Please note directional.

Yes it will, the rotor and its holes in back act as a centrifugal fan. So the air enter to the motor at stator, you can see holes there, and goes out on side of the rotor. If you want proof it, take a plastic bag, seal it around the stator, so that the rotor rotates inside the bag and run the motor without prop, it will fill that bag.

And since the pinner and its gap between fuselage make suction on that place, I always mount motor on bac side so the suvtion on under spinner will take the warm air going out of the motor directly out of the fuselage.

I have received the photo of your heat sink for AXI in the rear mount configuration from Keith R. and immediately asked myself the question: will this heat sink work efficiently when the motor is front mounted? The answer is rather not.

Yes, it does, fins are front, but does not matter, you can angle and order them as you want, it will look like radiator of car in its mask.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:35:09 PM »
Copper losses v/s iron losses and efficiency? I have to read more about it as this is extremely interesting.

Really short answers:

When current flows through a wire, it creates a voltage drop, and that voltage drop times the current is a power loss.  The lost power gets burned up as heat.  It's proportional to current squared times resistance, so you'll see it called "I2R" losses.  Wires are copper, so it's often called "copper loss" by motor and transformer people.

When a piece of steel is immersed in a magnetic field (like, the stator sections in a brushless motor), it takes energy to magnetize the steel.  Then when the magnetic field reverses, it takes energy to magnetize the steel in the other direction.  The energy just gets dissipated as heat, and is lost.  These losses are called "iron losses" by motor and transformer people.

The efficiency of a motor is the ratio of the power you get out of it vs. the power you put in -- and the power you get out is the power in minus any losses.  There are some significant tradeoffs involved in designing a motor that's small, light, affordable, durable, and efficient.  Usually something has to go, and as Igor mentioned, we tend to sacrifice some efficiency for a lighter motor.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here