News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop for Brodak Electric Ringmaster  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Prop for Brodak Electric Ringmaster
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:33:25 AM »
I built a Brodak Electric Ringmaster using the recommended package with the 9 x 4.5 prop.  The plane just seems to have no authority.  Line pull on 60' lines felt too light.  I put two flights on it and didn't want to try anything more than a wingover and a loop.  The plane barely pulled through the loop.  I'll give it a couple more flights, maybe max out the RPM, but I'm wondering about an alternate prop to the 9 x 4.5.  Looks like my only APC alternatives are a 9 x 6 or a 10 x 5 prop.  Seems a 6" prop would be too fast, and a 10" prop might be too much current draw.

What do Y'all think?  Try a different prop?  Or is it just me and I need to learn to fly the recommended setup?

Mark

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Re: Prop for Brodak Electric Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
I use an APC 9x6 EP on mine.  Works great, no complaints.  Mind you, its a scratch built S-1 and not a Brodak package either.  Give it a try, as long as you keep an eye on temps & current it can't hurt.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:20:07 PM »
Use the 9-6 and lower the rpm and you'll get the speed you want and use less battery power. I do 2 minute trim flights so you can get 2 rpm adjustment trys out of one battery. Set it real low with any new prop. Try 8500 and see how close to 5.2 sec a lap it is.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »
I built a Brodak Electric Ringmaster using the recommended package with the 9 x 4.5 prop.

Are you using the recommended motor & battery?  If not you'll need to do matching tweaks to the prop.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
Are you using the recommended motor & battery?  If not you'll need to do matching tweaks to the prop.

Yes.  I usually pick and choose components when building, but this time I decided to just buy the whole electric package minus charger from Brodak.

Mark

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:30:49 AM »
A 9x4.5 is something you would use on a glow engine. Electric uses higher pitch. Although if the 9x4.5 is a MAS with way too much under camber it might almost work except that those are terrible design props. Just get an APC 9x6 E tractor. Tower has free shipping right now. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZK94&P=ML

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here