News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Powersystems for .15 airplane, Akromaster  (Read 22581 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Powersystems for .15 airplane, Akromaster
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
I made short work of the shattered ribs. Looks back to normal. Bellcrank and lead outs will be installed tomorrow. Then a quick job recovering that wing section. I'll need to make another push rod. But i got plenty of carbon fiber tube for that.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 12:29:34 AM »
Bummer!  Looks like you're on your way to fixing though.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 12:34:17 AM »
Well that sucks, but at least it's an easy fix, and not before you really started to love it!
And, the first flight a night flight, that's awesome!
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
Thanks guys. It sucked, the take off felt great, power was up there. I should have taken pictures of the wing and bell crank before i pulled it apart, but i was all miffed about the incident. I just quickly pulled it apart.
 I thought the mounting bolt failed. But as you can see, that was nicely mounted and stayed put. The bell crank split in two right at the bearing hole.

The plane "landed" on the wheels. The only damage was the lead outs being pulled through the ribs. Crazy!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
Got the graphics in from CFC. RIP Mike. Thanks for all the help you we're willing to give a complete stranger. We were only forum buddies, but your emails and pictures and trimming advice got me really far.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »
 #^
 H^^
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 11:00:27 PM »
I decided to just finish the wing tonight. Not enough work to justify putting it off longer... Lol

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »
CFC Graphics are GREAT.  You have a very good tribute to our friend Mike... 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 05:31:30 PM »
Thanks Dennis. However, as it turns out, i still can't figure out how to get this to fly. I have a video, but it's really no help. Very dark outside last night. I took off, got almost a half a lap and it flew in on me so fast, i couldn't back up fast enough to keep line tension. So yet again, it's crashed. I'm getting frustrated in that my other planes fly great. I've built an IC powered akromaster before and it flew great (ugly, but flew great). So I'm just not understanding what I'm doing wrong. I'm using the same cg position, the same lead out position, same tip weight.

I'm almost finished putting it back together. I'll hang test it exactly where everything was before any changes. Maybe i need to scoot the forward line back a little....

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
Dane,
Please check for any warps.  Bummer.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »
Dane,
Please check for any warps.  Bummer.

Thanks bro. That is what it felt like. Like it was rolling in and that's what was losing the tension. I really want this to work for many reasons. But now it might be a pride thing... Lol

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:01 PM »
Do you have any tip weight?  If so, how much?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2016, 06:13:11 PM »
Just a suggestion, at this point I'd be flying it in daylight hours until it's dialed in. After that, let the night missions begin!
Best of luck, third time is the charm!
R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »

I took off, got almost a half a lap and it flew in on me so fast, i couldn't back up fast enough to keep line tension.

I'm using the same cg position, the same lead out position, same tip weight.

Dane:

First, check for warps.

Second, instead of having an engine and fuel tank hanging off of the outside edge of the fuselage, you have a bunch of electronics centered on the fuselage.  Think about that for a second, and then think about "same tip weight".

You ought to be able to manage level flight OK with inadequate tip weight, and even with some wing warp, so I'm a bit confused as to what's going on.  I think that if I didn't find some pretty dramatic warping in the wing I'd put on Way Too Much tip weight and then back off from there.

Good luck.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
Thanks guys. Tim and Christ, i guess what your saying about tip weight makes lots of sense. The instructions call for .5oz. So that's all i did. However, when this thing was designed there was no thought of electric systems. So maybe the instructions were not the best to follow in that regard.

I'll hang it like Clancy Arnold wrote up in CLW. Sometimes the simplest things are over looked....

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
Just a suggestion, at this point I'd be flying it in daylight hours until it's dialed in. After that, let the night missions begin!
Best of luck, third time is the charm!
R,
Target

Oh, and Chris, i like to live dangerously! Lol! but the reason for the lights is cuz i never get time to fly. But yes i like what your saying

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »
I did not see - what size & length lines are you using?

Warps & tip weight sound like likely causes.  The warps part incudes double confirming that the flaps were glued on straight,  if not they make really big (out of ) trim tabs!

Like Tim said the necessary tip weight will be greater with an electric because there is no engine & tank hanging off the side of the fuse.  Can you weigh the outboard wing tip?  Put the bird upside down, resting on the top of the fin, use a box or something similar to hold the nose up so the (inverted) fuselage is approximately level.  Presumably the outboard tip will drop - however put a scale under the outboard tip (prop it up so it is roughly at the level of the wing) I'd suggest overkill for starters, add weight until the tip weighs 1 oz.  If that is too much you can remove it after you get a few flights on it.

About the CG: you said you have it at the same spot as the IC version, but the IC airplane gets more nose heavy with a full tank of fuel, so the electric should be balanced further forward than the IC.  Move the CG forward at least 1/4" to 1/2"  CG would not by itself make it turn in, but CG & leadout position work together.

After the first crash, did you check to see if the elevator was damaged?  Trying to remember, doesn't the Akro have the two halves of the elevator joined by a wood stub?  If so, if you applied UP elevator and if only the inboard side moved it could cause a roll-in.

Next up would be to try a pusher prop, to get the torque working for you.

Don't give up - success is in sight!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
I don't remember if i mentioned, lines are 52' 012s.
I double checked the elevators for any damage, excellent condition. I'm checking for warps, none found, but i did just rebuild the wing. After covering I'll check again. I'll change the tail wheel and bracket. Move the cg forward with that. Hanging it shows the nose angle down, like other known good flying planes. I'm thinking lead out position is ok.

Almost done. Just gotta finish the covering

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »
UPDATE! Ha, i feel like Robert Stack saying that out loud at home!

Here's a video of successfully flying the Elektromaster. Proof that it does indeed fly. This video was shot today. There's a warp in the wing in this video. The outboard wing was low upright, And high inverted. So line tension inverted sucked. I only did lazy 8's to play it safe. Plus it was pretty windy today. But i just wanted this to fly, so i did it any way!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2016, 05:16:52 PM »
Way to go!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
Finally, right? Lol

Ok. So as was suggested to test fly it in the day time probably would have been a good idea.
A big issue was in fact, tip weight. After i got the warp out, the wing was high upright or inverted. Easy fix.

However, the biggest issue was no power! It didn't have enough pull to stay out on 52' lines. Again, my fault. I started with a 6x3 gws prop. Bad idea. Moved up to a 7x3.5 in this video. Also i realized the timer rpm setting was down. Again, a gws prop. They are very flimsy, and probably a bad choice for this plane. I'll switch to the APC 7x5e.

Thanks for all the help gents!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here