News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New battery technology on our doorstep  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
New battery technology on our doorstep
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »
Hi All,
I spotted this one on the Revolution Green website which is a great site that keeps track of new energy technologies and also is very good at debunking scams. There are many new battery designs that are being worked on right now but this one is ready to produce. It is a lithium metal battery that can produce the same energy as lithium ion at half the size, or double the energy at the same size. Have a look here http://revolution-green.com/battery-story-happy-ending/

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
Re: New battery technology on our doorstep
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:21:57 AM »
Yeah, just great!!!!!!  >:D
If the batteries get too light, we'll soon have to have 18" (46cm) nose moments on our aircraft!! Bugga!!  ~^    LL~
Bandolero

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:28:13 AM »
 Encouraging.  New technology always on the way. Perhaps we'll get our hands on them around 2020 ? Along with less  weight and size, hopefully  safer and a cost reduction, too. #^
 But, I won't hold my breath on that part.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:39:05 AM »
Normally whenever I see a "new battery technology" article I kind of glaze over - kind of like listening to election year rhetoric.  However this one sounds promising because it is an evolutionary design, commercially focused in a reasonable time frame, and targeting applications that could deliver product useful to modelers.  I also sounds accessible enough that other makers will have to copy the process - or die.

Doubling energy density is a huge step.  I am currently using 8-12 oz batteries, cutting that weight in half would remove roughly 10% off the RTF weight of my fleet - and that is a VERY good thing!  If it is actually achieved (and that is still a BIG qualifier) electric power will be the prohibitive choice from a weight & performance standpoint...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:05:21 AM »
"It can only get better"!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »
As the article says, they will be ready to go in November this year. Like Dennis, I also tend to just gloss over these things on the net because they take so looooong to get into production, if they actually do get produced.

I can tell you what would be on my own wish-list is for a battery like this to be developed that you transport dead flat.......zero charge! Something like those super caps. This way they would be able to transport them safely. The overseas online hobby shops will not ship lipo's to us anymore, and right now here in Darkest Africa, it is cheaper to fly glow again due to our falling currency and the hobby shop battery prices. It's quite strange that our currency has not lost 50% of its value but the battery prices have doubled since last year.  S?P

Keith R
Keith R

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
I am a believer in "Moore's Law", relating to the exponential development of integrated circuits, and such.  I have witnessed battery technology boom since my first electric (motor glider with an AstroFlite motor).  Now, an electric stunter using LiPo cells results in a power package which is (nearly) equal to the best IC glo engine.

I have a lot of $ invested in LiPo, but I'll dump them all in an instant whenever a new and better chemistry becomes available.  Saving 4 or 5 oz. on my large stunters will make a really big difference!

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 06:03:58 AM »
Something like this should be a real boon for 1/2A size stunters, which are still overweight when electric. They fly OK, but an IC motor is still better ..... for now! VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
Something like this should be a real boon for 1/2A size stunters, which are still overweight when electric. They fly OK, but an IC motor is still better ..... for now! VD~

Yes, It will definitely benefit the 1/2a or even .15 size planes.  and on the big ones.. in the respect you could run bigger batteries (from 2700 to a 3300mah or higher C discharge like up to 70C )  and still be at the same weight or less, which gives you a lot more options to optimize the run.. like able to run lower pitch props, more tighter speed regulation settings, etc.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 12:57:43 AM »

Too true Larry. I have made a few neat 1/2A electric models using my Compact timers, but nothing beats a simple Cox engine for simplicity. Four screws to stick it on the nose, add a few drops of slime fuel and off you go! One of our club members built a tiny model with a Cox Pee Wee on it and it is so cute to fly. That is hard to replicate with e-power and besides I still enjoy the noise!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »
I play with all sorts of Electric Toys all the time and enjoy them for what they are

But I seriously suspect the only reason I would ever choose to FLY an electric combat or stunt CL plane is if some one gave it to me

I love the few times a year I get to fly
I am NOT an anachronism for loving the smell and sounds...I think/hope
I really like tinkering with IC engines of ALL sizes...Cox Teedee .010 up to 588 CI Alcohol/Nitro Drag Engines
I am well trained (Army Aviation) in Turbine engines but can NOT justify the cost as a hobby
I am also a psuedo expert aircraft NAV aids and Radio + a licensed HAM radio operator/electrician with a long history of building Amps, radios, antennas, interfaces, computers, and programming in several now defunct languages...COBAL, FORTRAN, MS BASIC

BUT for some reason Electric CL flight holds NO allure for me...even knowing it is actually a better form of controllable propulsion than Glow

All of the above clap trap, self aggrandizing, BS is simply a way to say...

You pioneers have fun, pave the way, I am semi interested... when you really get it all down to a solid, no chit science, could you do me a favor?

Please make the sound chip sound like a REAL (crummy) Fox 35
Make the Smell really like shinola ) I guess Missile Mist

All of this just from a very bored old guy

Totally tongue in cheek or somewhat sarcastic.... for the ever TOO sensitive followers of Robert's cool site
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »
<snip>

with a long history of building Amps, radios, antennas, interfaces, computers, and programming in several now defunct languages...COBAL, FORTRAN, MS BASIC

<snip>

http://blog.hackerrank.com/the-inevitable-return-of-cobol/

COBOL ain't dead -- it's just resting.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
I wounder if our existing battery chargers will work with this new battery.  I am guessing the voltage and current levels will be comparable to what we now use.  Could be a big boost for electric U-control.  It will surely hasten the demise of usable control line IC engine production.  We are a small market depending on fallout from power tools, drones, RC whatever, and now electric cars.

Speaking of electric cars - where will gas stations get the juice to charge cars?  Every one talks of electric as GREEN but making electric juice ain't green.   
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here