News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multi Rotor Pusher Propeller  (Read 2349 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Multi Rotor Pusher Propeller
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:03:54 PM »
What is the difference between a APC 11x5.5MRP Multi Rotor Pusher Propeller and a APC 11x5.5E Electric Propeller.  I understand that one is a pusher.  APC doesn't  make 11x5.5EP.  Is the APC11x5.5MRP really the same thing just being hyped for the Multi Rotor market?

???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Multi Rotor Pusher Propeller
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »
What does APC tell you to pair it with?  If it's paired with the 11x5.5E, then there's a good chance that it's equivalent.

I seem to remember that the multirotor props tend to be more lightly built -- someone went to the Worlds in Poland with a plane flying a multi-rotor prop and ended up with a destroyed airplane after an encounter with a tuft of grass ('tuft' being a misnomer -- apparently the practice field in Poland had 'tufts' in heroic proportions).  Again, as I remember it, he hit a hunk of grass and fractured a blade at the hub which subsequently broke, and the resulting imbalance tore the plane's nose off, much to its detriment.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
What does APC tell you to pair it with?  If it's paired with the 11x5.5E, then there's a good chance that it's equivalent.

I seem to remember that the multirotor props tend to be more lightly built -- someone went to the Worlds in Poland with a plane flying a multi-rotor prop and ended up with a destroyed airplane after an encounter with a tuft of grass ('tuft' being a misnomer -- apparently the practice field in Poland had 'tufts' in heroic proportions).  Again, as I remember it, he hit a hunk of grass and fractured a blade at the hub which subsequently broke, and the resulting imbalance tore the plane's nose off, much to its detriment.

Actually the do have a 11x5.5 multirotor  in standard and a pusher.  Just about all MR prop sets come as two standard and two pusher.

In the above disaster I am guessing that a KR timer would have saved the day.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
I don't know if a KR timer would have sensed the problem -- I'm not sure that the prop actually stopped when it hit the grass, or just got fractured.  Certainly when the prop threw a blade the timer wouldn't have sensed it.

Howard Rush was thinking of using something like a TUT to sense the extreme vibration of a thrown blade and shut the motor down, but it's not exactly an everyday occurrence.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
I don't know if a KR timer would have sensed the problem -- I'm not sure that the prop actually stopped when it hit the grass, or just got fractured.  Certainly when the prop threw a blade the timer wouldn't have sensed it.

Howard Rush was thinking of using something like a TUT to sense the extreme vibration of a thrown blade and shut the motor down, but it's not exactly an everyday occurrence.
The KR timer looks for a reduction in RPMs.  If the motor/battery combination is able to maintain RPM while swinging one blade you are correct - it would not shut down.  That would be very bad indeed.    HB~>  Although not all that common a 2.4 ghz cutoff  would be nice.  I read somewhere else that a one button 2.4 ghz clicker would be wonderful as a kill switch.  I thing they were looking for it to be used on a gaser.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
What is the difference between a APC 11x5.5MRP Multi Rotor Pusher Propeller and a APC 11x5.5E Electric Propeller.  I understand that one is a pusher.  APC doesn't  make 11x5.5EP.  Is the APC11x5.5MRP really the same thing just being hyped for the Multi Rotor market?

???

Yes, they do make a 11x5.5EP.

And don't use MR props on a control line stunter!  You've been warned!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »
Yes, they do make a 11x5.5EP.

And don't use MR props on a control line stunter!  You've been warned!

I kinda suspected that the MR line of props were not suitable for our use.  Thats why I asked the question.  On the subject of the APC 11x5.5EP I did not find any on the Tower web site.  Who sells them?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:46:32 PM »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:00:49 AM »
http://www.apcprop.com/product_p/lp11055ep.htm

MM

Thanks!!!  This gives a complete listing of all of the APC props.   #^  #^  #^  #^  #^   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »
And if you're looking down that list, you'll encounter the 13x6.5 (F2B)
This is the old 13x6.5 I was so happily using. Then I decided I needed some back up props for this year's WCh.
I put one of those to the test, only to find my lap times had dropped from 5.3 to 5.8  %^@
After some close inspection the new props appeared different (By then I didn't know of any 'upgrades')
Two e-mails to one of the APC guys made clear they'd made some changes since the time my first prop had been produced.
But he wrote, 'If the old version works better for you, I'll start making that again'. Talking about listening to your customers....
So that's why it's in the list again.
And no worries, in spite of being labeled 'F2B', it will work for AMA CLPA just as well... ;D
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
same thing with the 13x4.5EP, it went from the first version, they then adjusted it for some reason, and it took an additional 2000 rpm, so now they have the 13x4.5 EP and the 13x4.5 F2B ( which is the original)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here