News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jr. Flite Streak electrified  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Keith Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Jr. Flite Streak electrified
« on: September 25, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
I started this project more than a year and a half ago. I can’t wait until I retire!
This is a Brodak Jr. Flite Streak that I converter to e-power. This is my first attempt with silk and dope, and I’m pleased with the results. I wanted to hid the electronics as well as I could given it’s a profile. I used SolidWorks to model the front end cheek cowl to hide the timer and switch.

First flight was too slow (5.3 sec laps). I learned that the Talon ESC’s only hit about 92% of the RPM setpoint. Due to ESC issues (shutting the system down during spool-up), I’ve only had the one flight (different thread: http://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/talon-35-hubin-fm-9-issue/). I suspect I had over-current cutoff sensitivity too high and the governor was hitting an instantaneous current limit that I can’t monitor on a WattsUp meter. Steady-state voltages and current are well within range.

Setup:
Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3-2836-150
ESC: Castle Talon 35
Battery: A-SPEC 1800 mAh 3-cell
Timer: Hubin FM-9
Ending weight - 1.19 lb (19 oz); too heavy I think, mostly in the battery; After a few flights, I should be able to determine the right capacity for a 5 minute flight.

Currently I’m working on prop/RPM settings to get good lap times and 120-150 W/lb. My next flight will be with an APC-E 8x6 set to ~10k RPM. I expect the Talon 35 to provide ~9200 in reality for 4.5 second laps.

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
Re: Jr. Flite Streak electrified
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »
Pics of the nose work:

Offline John Tate

• Commander
Re: Jr. Flite Streak electrified
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
Keith,
Looking good there. I like what you have done. I have a Jr. Flight Streak kit that needs to built and power it with electric also. I am using a 1100 MAH 3 cell on an Akromaster and was hoping to do the same thing with the Streak. The flight time I use is only 3 minutes for sport flying.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here