News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Accepctial time at full charge?  (Read 557 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Accepctial time at full charge?
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
Question:  What is considered an acceptable length of time to leave a LiPo fully charged?  I am sure over night is OK.  You charge one night and go fly the next day.  So at what point in time does a full charge become a no-no?   ??? 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:33:07 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Underwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Accepctial time at full charge?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »
Not sure that there is a clear answer to that.  Even charging to 4.2 volts as opposed to 4.1 volts greatly changes the number or cycles available.  It is my understand that the longer the battery is fully charged, the more damage.  OTOH, if we all tried to maximize cycles available by undercharging, then we would need larger capacity batteries so that we could undercharge and still have enough charge for flying.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Acceptable time is a balance of convenience and money, and battery weight...

I charge in the morning and go fly.  If I don't fly a pack, I discharge to storage at about 3.86 on my charger.  I have occasionally used a higher voltage if I know I am flying the next morning, say away from home at a contest.  I haven't seen information comparing holding at full charge versus a partial soft discharge cycle.
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here