News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:42:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ice 50 issue  (Read 2533 times)

Offline jjorgensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ice 50 issue
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »
I have used the Ice 50 without problems for a couple of years. However, in trying to set up a new plane I have run into a problem. The set up is a turnigy 3548 1100 KV motor, Ice 50, 4-cell lipo, and Will Huban FM 9 timer, 11/5.5 P prop. When I plug in the battery I get no beeps. I do see a red led flash a couple of times, followed by a yellow led flashing. I can then hit the start button and after the preset delay the motor starts up, revs up for a few seconds, and then stops. I have changed timers, batteries, and tried a turnigy esc, which worked fine. Any ideas on what the issue may be with the Ice 50? ( I did send an email to Castle tech support but got a reply that says they may not answer for up to 3 days)
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Ice 50 issue
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:18 AM »
The manual will tell you what the flashing lights mean.

What are your esc settings, did you pic the right esc in the timer?

MM

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
Motorman, I did pick the right esc in the timer. I also printed off the castle link program settings report from another ICE 50 that is working fine, and made sure that all the settings were the same. The only difference being the KV in the motor being used with the other esc. (900 versus 1100). The issue seems to be before the led's flash, because I should be getting one or more beeps.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
Sometimes if you go into castle link and just click save data it will re-boot itself.

MM

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:50:38 AM »
Went into Castle Link and tried to reset ESC to factory specs, and saved data, with no change. Still don't get any beeps when I plug in the battery.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
I think it sounds like you have a problem withthe ESC

for a reference, here is a simple trouble shooting guide that may help

http://rogershobbycenter.com/castletroubleshootingguide/
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »
No beeps at all?  Usually an ESC (Castle included) will give a one- or two-beep "I'm awake" sound when the power comes up.  Then, if it's seeing low throttle on the input, it'll give it's "ready to run" sound (usually some sequence of beeps or an irritating tune, depending on brand).

No beeps at all and a motor that runs is weird -- I don't think I've seen that at all, ever.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »
Roger, I looked at the troubleshooting guide, and unfortunately, it does not show what is happening. Flashing red, followed by flashing yellow. I'm frustrated with Castle. When you try to call tech support, you get a recording the number is not available, and to leave a message, to which you do not get a reply.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 03:27:01 PM »
Jim Castle's service takes a long time I am three months waiting for a solution losing hope with Castle Creation.

Rogerio.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
I have emailed them twice and received answers both times within a week
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »
How many red flashes and how many yellow flashes.

MM

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
Here is a Phoenix User Guide .. the yellow LED simply means that the data logging feature is active.  The red LED should be flashing an error code after the shutdown to indicate what triggered the shutdown.  I would recheck the shutdown cell count and voltage cutoff settings as well as the overcurrent setting.  How the motor could be arming without the beeps is a mystery, though I have had some combinations where the arming tones were very faint.  I haven't used a Castle in some time - is it necessary to 'read' the current settings when first starting up the Castle Link software?  To make sure that the actual current settings are displayed?

I don't know if this is the latest Castle guide or not, but it does mention Ice and Ice Lite ESCs.  Hope this helps.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
One other thing ... the number of red LED flashes before you push the start button is supposed to be the cell count, so you should see 4.  That may also help troubleshoot the problem. 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »
I beleive there is an option in the settings to disable or enable the beeps, so that is something to consider,
but the yellow light is pretty likely the telling indicator that the ESC has an issue,,

you might email support at Castle, they were pretty responsive to me via email
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »
I did get a response to my email to Castle. They think it is an is an issue with the MOSFETs (?) on the ESC. Whatever that is, it is beyond my abilities to fix, so I will send it in for repair.
Jim Jorgensen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here