News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with Legacy Kit  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Help with Legacy Kit
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
Dear all

I have a Legacy kit new .
I would like to build it very light,
Someone know if can  I buy a conversion kit replace the original motor mount?
I would like to remove all doublers to save weight.
Please all idea is good.

Thank you
GUIL

Enviado de meu ASUS_Z00AD usando Tapatalk

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
Re: Help with Legacy Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »
Brodak offers a conversion kit for the Legacy, check their web site. Do you have the Legacy kit, or do you have the ARF/ARC version? I converted a Legacy ARF to electric and the process was fairly simple. Removed a portion of the motor bearers (some kind of hardwood) with a rotary grinder, then installed a ply motor mount (1/8 inch hardwood ply), with bracing gussets to support the mount. I can post a photo if it helps.

If you have the kit, you can just delete the maple motor bearers and design your own motor mount. I have an unbuilt Legacy kit (I really like the Legacy) and can check the kit-supplied doubler thickness. Honestly, the electric power is more than adequate to pull the model without being overly concerned about weight. My ARF Legacy is 64 oz (??grams) with battery, ready to fly, and has no problem with power. You could substitute 1/32 (??mm)  ply for doublers since there is little vibration with electric power, but again, I don't see any real need or reason to go to the trouble, time and expense of doing so.

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 04:35:00 AM »
I am building a Legacy at the moment from a Brodak kit. I brought a conversion kit from Brodak and it worked great, kit itself is made from 1/8 liteply and was nicely laser cut. It is a universal kit and only needed some slight modification to work.

It replaces the formers and bearers that come in the kit. I replaced the 1/16 ply doublers with some hardish 1/16 balsa.

http://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/conversion-kits/universal-b-electric-conversion.html

I can post some pictures tomorrow if you like.
NZL7396

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
Re: Re: Help with Legacy Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 05:21:07 AM »
I am building a Legacy at the moment from a Brodak kit. I brought a conversion kit from Brodak and it worked great, kit itself is made from 1/8 liteply and was nicely laser cut. It is a universal kit and only needed some slight modification to work.

It replaces the formers and bearers that come in the kit. I replaced the 1/16 ply doublers with some hardish 1/16 balsa.

http://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/conversion-kits/universal-b-electric-conversion.html

I can post some pictures tomorrow if you like.
Thank you I would like to see.

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »
Brodak offers a conversion kit for the Legacy, check their web site. Do you have the Legacy kit, or do you have the ARF/ARC version? I converted a Legacy ARF to electric and the process was fairly simple. Removed a portion of the motor bearers (some kind of hardwood) with a rotary grinder, then installed a ply motor mount (1/8 inch hardwood ply), with bracing gussets to support the mount. I can post a photo if it helps.

If you have the kit, you can just delete the maple motor bearers and design your own motor mount. I have an unbuilt Legacy kit (I really like the Legacy) and can check the kit-supplied doubler thickness. Honestly, the electric power is more than adequate to pull the model without being overly concerned about weight. My ARF Legacy is 64 oz (??grams) with battery, ready to fly, and has no problem with power. You could substitute 1/32 (??mm)  ply for doublers since there is little vibration with electric power, but again, I don't see any real need or reason to go to the trouble, time and expense of doing so.
Dear Mike

What do you think if I just remove the doubler and maple mount.?
This plane will be hard , nothing removable.
I have a friend that don't use any plywood. If necessary he does balsa doubled.
What do you think?

Thank you

Guil

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
I hope the pictures help. So basically I added 1/8 sheet where the cowling sides would normally go and put 1/16 hard balsa doublers where the right through the front. Used Gorilla glue with the whole lots under some heavy weights and it set very rigid.

The conversion kit is made of 1/8 ply and is nicely laser cut. Makes it all so very  easy.

This one will have a removable hatch on top for battery access. The motor bolts are accessed from the battery bay and the motor goes in/out through the nose ring.

Next project will be an e-Vector and I have a conversion kit for that too which is much the same.

Daniel.
NZL7396

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:09:03 PM »
Daniel, I notice the motor you are using is very short compared with the more common Eflite/Cobra/OS/Axi motors, so your particular setup may not work for Guilherme, but the general concept you have looks sound. Can you access the motor mount bolts so the motor can be removed? My own Legacy setup works about the same as yours but the motor mount is farther to the rear and my battery is a bottom-load, which requires turning model on back and removing cowl. Not a big deal.

I don't see why balsa doublers would not work, since there is so little vibration, but I still don't see the reason for going to the effort to substitute the plywood doublers with balsa. The weight difference is negligible and the whole front of the fuselage will be stronger and more twist resistant using plywood. But, I may be over-engineering this.

The cost of these USA products must be fearsome in New Zealand and Brazil!! Your APC prop was made about 50 miles from where I live in California, then went 10,000  miles so you can use it. What a world we live in.

I will try to post some pictures of my Legacy motor installation.

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:29:08 PM »
Daniel, I notice the motor you are using is very short compared with the more common Eflite/Cobra/OS/Axi motors, so your particular setup may not work for Guilherme, but the general concept you have looks sound. Can you access the motor mount bolts so the motor can be removed? My own Legacy setup works about the same as yours but the motor mount is farther to the rear and my battery is a bottom-load, which requires turning model on back and removing cowl. Not a big deal.

I don't see why balsa doublers would not work, since there is so little vibration, but I still don't see the reason for going to the effort to substitute the plywood doublers with balsa. The weight difference is negligible and the whole front of the fuselage will be stronger and more twist resistant using plywood. But, I may be over-engineering this.

The cost of these USA products must be fearsome in New Zealand and Brazil!! Your APC prop was made about 50 miles from where I live in California, then went 10,000  miles so you can use it. What a world we live in.

I will try to post some pictures of my Legacy motor installation.

Mike the motor I'm using is an MVVS 6.5/910. It's a little shorter than the AXI 2820 I've got here as well. For a longer motor one would simply mount the firewall where it needs to be a trim the battery tray to suit accordingly. From memory I had to trim it even for this motor.

I found the ply in the kit very heavy. The Balsa doublers saved weight and given that electric is so smooth I don't foresee any issues. Ply doublers or not it will suffer in a crash, but I don't fly to hit the ground so should be fine.

The NZ dollar isn't too bad, 74c US buys $1 NZ. So I can have a Legacy kit on my doorstep for about $240nzd which is ok. It was much better a couple of years ago when it were 94c.

I'm at the pointy end of this build and should have it flying within the month hopefully.
NZL7396

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
If the pictures will load, here is my do-it-yourself electric installation in the ARF Legacy. If/when I build the kit Legacy I will use the Brodak conversion kit.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
HOW TIMELY!

I finally completed the instruction manual and Brodak now offers an electric conversion designed for the Legacy.  The conversion allows the builder to select either a front mounted or rear mounted configuration and a top side battery hatch.  It will accommodate 28xx or 35xx motors. I have attached a few pictures, and here's a link to the conversion kit listing on the Brodak site.

http://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/conversion-kits/legacy-electric-conversion.html
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »
HOW TIMELY!

I finally completed the instruction manual and Brodak now offers an electric conversion designed for the Legacy.  The conversion allows the builder to select either a front mounted or rear mounted configuration and a top side battery hatch.  It will accommodate 28xx or 35xx motors. I have attached a few pictures, and here's a link to the conversion kit listing on the Brodak site.

http://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/conversion-kits/legacy-electric-conversion.html
Hi Dennis

I bought yesterday this kit from Brodak.
I WILL use the Cobra 3520/14 and 5S battery.

I want to remove the doublers and use just balsa with carbon veil and epoxi .

What do you think?

Thank you

Guil

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 04:02:14 PM »
Mike the motor I'm using is an MVVS 6.5/910. It's a little shorter than the AXI 2820 I've got here as well. For a longer motor one would simply mount the firewall where it needs to be a trim the battery tray to suit accordingly. From memory I had to trim it even for this motor.

I found the ply in the kit very heavy. The Balsa doublers saved weight and given that electric is so smooth I don't foresee any issues. Ply doublers or not it will suffer in a crash, but I don't fly to hit the ground so should be fine.

The NZ dollar isn't too bad, 74c US buys $1 NZ. So I can have a Legacy kit on my doorstep for about $240nzd which is ok. It was much better a couple of years ago when it were 94c.

I'm at the pointy end of this build and should have it flying within the month hopefully.
You are happy .
Here in BRazil I need 3.6 Real to one US Dollar
The legacy kit here is almost 1000 Real . That is very expensive . A lot of tax
GUIL

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
Hi Dennis

I bought yesterday this kit from Brodak.
I WILL use the Cobra 3520/14 and 5S battery.

I want to remove the doublers and use just balsa with carbon veil and epoxi .

What do you think?

Thank you

Guil

Hello Guilherme

I would recommend the Front mount configuration for the Cobra 3520.  That mount style uses a "torque box" arrangement to carry the motor mount and distribute the loading to the fuselage sides - so if are planning on using Carbon veil applied with epoxy instead of plywood doublers then it would work well.  Note that the conversion kit also includes a couple plywood rails installed along the top edge of the fuselage to reinforce the fuselage for the top battery hatch.  You should also consider building the cowl in place (non-removable) as this will also strengthen and stabilize the forward fuselage structure.

Good luck, and remember to share LOTS of pictures of your build progress!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 07:58:01 PM »
Hello Guilherme

I would recommend the Front mount configuration for the Cobra 3520.  That mount style uses a "torque box" arrangement to carry the motor mount and distribute the loading to the fuselage sides - so if are planning on using Carbon veil applied with epoxy instead of plywood doublers then it would work well.  Note that the conversion kit also includes a couple plywood rails installed along the top edge of the fuselage to reinforce the fuselage for the top battery hatch.  You should also consider building the cowl in place (non-removable) as this will also strengthen and stabilize the forward fuselage structure.

Good luck, and remember to share LOTS of pictures of your build progress!

Hi Dennis

I start to build the wing .  I have  1 mm hard balsa ( less than 1/16 ) ,My Idea is use this hard balsa and carbon veil with epoxi  instead of plywood doublers . The others parts I will use original
Sorry but I dont understand about the cowl , my idea is to do battery top loader place . and do a normal cowl .

I add some pictures , I will open a new topic to show all steps of my building
I need a lot of advices

Thank you

Guil

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »

Wing almost ready

Offline Motorman