News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:35:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Genesis and Sundance Electric Conversion, and Genesis 2013  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Fred Underwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Genesis and Sundance Electric Conversion, and Genesis 2013
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forum, but probably about the same vintage as many here.  I will introduce a couple of airplanes, and my electric adventure.  I started flying at about 10 years old (1957-1958) with a Thimble Drome Cox 0.49 and the rubber banded Flight Trainer.  I have drifted in and out of the hobby a few times since.  I was flying a Jetco Dolphin in the late 70’s and saw the Chris Lella Sundance in a magazine.  I found that a fellow named Bob Hunt was selling skinned foam wings and that the Sundance was available, I ordered.  The Sundance was finished in 1977 and, as I recall, a Genesis wing ordered within the next year.  I flew for a while and then life got busy with family and work, and I hung the airplanes in my basement, for years.  I eventually returned to airplanes with RC pattern, sailplanes and electric park flyers.  About 8 years ago a move got the airplanes a new “hanger.”  The basement airplanes went to the next house, but there was not enough room, so they moved again.  They ended up in the attic of a friend for a few years.  About 6 years ago the Sundance emerged briefly for a few flights.  It had a bit of hanger rash, but flew reasonable well, still with an OS 35s.  It was not quite what we wanted so, we built a Magician and scratch built another profile and used the newer OS 40FP and flew for a season.  The Sundance joined the Genesis in the attic and sat until the middle of the 2012 season.

My friend, forum member Dave Denison, started up this year where we left off a few years ago and finished a scratch built foam wing Cardinal, but converted it to electric.  It was built as IC, never finished or flown.  With his encouragement, read insistence, I was pulled back in.  The Sundance was found in the attic in a bit of disrepair.  The original finish was Pactra Dope now 35 years old and well cured in the attic.  We decided that it had mostly cosmetic damage and started looking at electric conversion.  It turned out that there was some separation or delamination of the wing skin.  Actually it was mostly at the trailing edge up on to the foam, and solved by some foam safe Ca.  I will digress a bit and share a memory.  When I got the foam wing the first time, they also delaminated.  Mr. Hunt was having some difficulty with the contact glues.  I believe, if memory serves, that the red stuff failed.  Of course he replaced the wing without question or return of the product.  Hmm, I wonder if the contact cement guarantee was good for lifetime  :)?  The electric conversion actually turned out to be easy.  The conversion was done and the Sundance once again is flying.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:29:25 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Genesis and Sundance Electric Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
and another picture.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:22:16 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
The airplane was originally about 570 sq inches and 45 ounces without fuel, about 50 oz RTF.  It was fairly stark as I ran out of weight with the silver paint that I originally intended as a base cover coat.  

For the electric conversion I used:

3 cell 2800 pack, about 2200 ma used in 5 minutes.
Turnigy 1250Kv D3542/5
APC 11X5.5 EP
50 amp ZTW controller
KR Governor System
Weight, about 50 oz ready to fly.

I removed a OS 35s, Big Art muffler and normal flying gear and replaced it with essentially the same weight electric system, each weighing about 18.5 oz.  The electric gear is actually about 1 – 2 oz. heavier, but lighter wheels were substituted.  Balance was also fairly close, but I eventually added about 20 grams of nose weight in the electric.
Now, on to my version of the Genesis.  The RC Curare by Hanno Prettner was featured in the late 70’s and had an anhedral stab.  I liked the look, and it seemed to fit with the Genesis.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:22:31 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
I will update with the Genesis electric conversion as I go, thanks for your interest.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:22:48 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »
Hi Fred,
 Welcome to stunthanger!!! looks like you are off to a great start. Nice conversion on the Sundance. If I remember right, I saw Chris' original fly in the 1970,s in Flushing Meadows park here in NYC. Did you make it a top loader or is it a bottom loader? How is the power with the 3 cell system? Keep us informed on the Genisis and what system do you plan on using?
William
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:29:43 AM »
WELCOME to Stunt Hanger & the Electric Forum.  Great job on the Sundance conversion. You managed tot hold the weight in line also - not easy to do with a conversion.  Good luck with the Genesis and keep the pix coming. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 05:10:49 AM »
Wow! You received a wing from me that was covered using the infamous "red" contact cement! That was around 1975 I think! Yeah, had to "eat" a few wings over that stuff!  :-\ Today - and for the past 20 plus years - I have been using a very thin coating of epoxy finishing resin to attach the skins and have had no delamination problems.

Congrats on the conversion of the Genesis to electric. Nice weight, too! y1

I've posted the conversion photos here for the Genesis that I retrofitted in 2005. Actually I fist installed a rear mount system and didn't like that too much. I re-retrofitted the ship with a front mount system and that has worked wonderfully. I highly, highly recommend front mounting for outrunner electric motors!

I'll attach those photos again here for the benefit of those who might not have seen them the first time.
Note that these photos depict the use of a rear bearing support yoke. We found that the rear support was not necessary and have not used it for years. The photos also depict the mounting of a timer unit. That unit was superceded by the Hubin unit which works great.
Later - Bob   

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Hi Fred,
 Welcome to stunthanger!!! looks like you are off to a great start. Nice conversion on the Sundance. If I remember right, I saw Chris' original fly in the 1970,s in Flushing Meadows park here in NYC. Did you make it a top loader or is it a bottom loader? How is the power with the 3 cell system? Keep us informed on the Genisis and what system do you plan on using?
William
The Sundance cowl comes off with a single screw and then the prior tank space is open.  The battery can be put in from the front or through the air outlet.  That is all with the plane inverted.  I have a stand and chair; my knees do not like squats any longer.  It makes little difference whether top or bottom by the time I remove a hatch or cowl, and I sit, and I did not want to redo everything.  I am not as adventuresome as Bob was.  I had seen some photos of his electric conversion, but that is a face transplant, not a facelift and more than I wanted to tackle.  I was also working with a rather old and kiln dried airframe and I was really not sure how well it would stay together, so opted for less work.

I opted for the Sundance cowl on the Genesis, dropped nose and all.  Kind of like building the same airplane over.  Turns out that it was easy to work with, especially doing the same conversion twice.  I will have some pictures to follow.  I think that my method of conversion helped decide 3 cells and rear motor mount, though if starting a electric build I may not have opted for that.  I did my SH reading and search before I started, and had a friend several months ahead.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
Wow! You received a wing from me that was covered using the infamous "red" contact cement! That was around 1975 I think! Yeah, had to "eat" a few wings over that stuff!  :-\ Today - and for the past 20 plus years - I have been using a very thin coating of epoxy finishing resin to attach the skins and have had no delamination problems.

Congrats on the conversion of the Genesis to electric. Nice weight, too! y1

I've posted the conversion photos here for the Genesis that I retrofitted in 2005. Actually I fist installed a rear mount system and didn't like that too much. I re-retrofitted the ship with a front mount system and that has worked wonderfully. I highly, highly recommend front mounting for outrunner electric motors!

I'll attach those photos again here for the benefit of those who might not have seen them the first time.  

Bob, thanks for the comments and pictures.  I had seem some of those and worked with my friend as he converted a built, not flown, airplane from IC to E.  He did front mount and I would have preferred that, but more work than I wanted on 35 year old attic dried airframe.  Or perhaps I am a bit lazy.  Hopefully I can follow with photos that will help explain the choices.

The Sundance wing was originally red contact, replaced.  The Genesis was only about 1 year newer but had lightply landing gear ribs, foam cut flaps, and I got your foam and sheet stab/elevator.  All of the contact bugs were gone.  Great stuff then and now, and may merit a refinish in the off season.  I hope that you and others on the forum will be happy to see it and not offended by the hanger rash. 
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Dave Denison sent a couple photos of the stand that we use to save knees and make bottom side battery insertions tolerable.  Sundance upside down, and his Cardinal also upside down.  The stand top height is about 24" and the airplane on top of that; perfect sitting height.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »
I have a few more Sundance pictures that may help explain the conversion and install.  The following photo shows the aluminum mount.  It uses the back two holes of the OS35s mount and two addition holes with woodscrews into the original maple mounts.  The OS mount holes had blind nuts, so easy to use.  I am not in favor of rear mounts, but it seemed natural in this case.  Version 2 of the mount will go into the Genesis.  Those photos will be up coming in a few days hopefully.  The KR system is mounted with Velcro which helps to insulate it from any heat “sinked” to the mount.  The ESC is mounted to the L side as shown.  A large exit hole serves as the air outlet and the battery pack will easily insert there.  The battery is attached with Velcro to the outboard side.  There is only room for 3 cells this way.  The ESC could move to the top of the canopy, bottom below the motor mounts as shown, and make room for another cell.  That may require another air exit to get air to move around the ESC.  At the back end of the exit hole, the horizontal “remains” touched by the red lead is the tank floor remnant.  The IC version had a 1/32 ply layer between the motor bearers and another at the tank bottom, the remnant line and the tank sandwiched snuggly.  That compartment had been coated with thin epoxy resin, and the innards were amazing clean and dry.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
And  a couple more photos.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Finally, the Genesis conversion.  Please pardon the slightly crooked spinner tip, set on for the picture. 
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
Say Aaaah!  The flight train removed and the bottom tank support, upper in inverted photo, is already removed.  The linear wood “remains” on the L side of the photo, mid compartment, are the bottom tank support remnant.  The tank compartment top is still between the motor bearers.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
Next a portion of the top tank cover is removed, between the motor mount bearers.  The remaining support between the bearers is for battery support as it is inserted from the front of bottom through the air exit.  The portion removed is to allow the battery an entry or exit angle/arc.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »
Motor Mount

The motor mount was then addressed.  The Sundance mount was an extruded angle piece and then a flat motor plate screwed and glued on with Ca. 
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »
Genesis Motor Mount

The Sundance version worked reasonably well, but a version 2 was attempted for improvement.  Both were started from the same extruded 1/8” aluminum rectangular tube.  A piece of tubing was cut off dimensioned to fuselage width.  This was then split to 2 U-channels, and one of the U-channels, then further divided.  The larger plate fits the motor mount and again used the rear IC engine mounting holes that already had blind nuts.  2 additional holes were drilled in the plate and mounts.  The smaller plate was fitted to go between the motor bearers and then mated to the larger plate.  They were screwed together to allow alignment and work, and then eventually screwed and glued after metal work was completed.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
Genesis Motor Mount

The pieces were joined with a “center line” of the motor off center on the mount to the outboard side.  This was trialed with a spinner on the motor to remove some of the offset that was used 35 years ago.  The spinner was held centered and the posterior of the motor moved outboard.  The motor “center line” was found on large piece and then the smaller piece moved to accommodate, then they were joined.  This is visible but subtle in the following picture. 
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
The + or cross motor mount shown above was only used as a guide clamped to the aluminum mount for drilling motor mounting holes.  The central clearance was done with a 1/2" end mill, if I recall correctly.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
I believe that this type of beam mount might also work for front mounts and profiles.  The aluminum mount could be made slightly wider to accommodate the motor width, and then the center removed to make a U with a vertical face.  It would be like the Sundance mount with a plate on the vertical, but plate the rear side of the vertical where the mount is U’d out.  That should give the ability to front mount a motor with mounting holes on the sides, completely straight and compatible with a conventional beam mount.  The Genesis was too narrow across the beams and the beams too short, or I would have tried the idea here.
Fred

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
I've  made similar type mounts for profiles and agree. It should work very well. I was doing some reading on your motor and see that they are now made with 5mm shafts. Do you have that version? I also noticed that you have a prop adapter with a set screw. I had some issues with those as some slipped till i put a flat spot on the shaft. I now use only the compression type and have had no problems.
AMA 98010

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Yes, they are 5mm.  I specifically looked until found a motor with the spec that I wanted, including 5mm shaft.  I believe that you mean the collet type.  I have used those in electric gliders with smaller motors without difficulty.  I am going with what friends used, with the set screw.  If they slip, then they get drilled out and replaced with 6/32 and a more coarse thread.  I did not do flat, yet, with 2 set screws, but may.  Some motors such as EFlight come with flats.  I do not know whether they suggest set screws, or make either type easy.  That might be an interesting discussion.
Fred

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
yes i meant the collet type.sorry.
AMA 98010

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
The beginning of the ending of the Genesis (beginning) project :).  Reassembly was fairly straight forward.  The mount easily bolted in as noted using the rearward OS 35s mount holes.  Views from top and bottom demonstrate that most of the outward offset was removed by shifting the rear of the motor.  Note the spinner to nose ring space is now uneven.
Fred

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 09:03:20 AM »
I like that metal mount.  Looks a good place for a heat sink to attach the parts that need it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
It does heat sink and get warm.  I did not use thermal paste at the motor - mount interface, yet.  The Velcro insulation and airflow keep the Governor cool even though sitting on the mount.  the Sundance one works fine and should be as good or better on the Genesis version.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
The cowl was plugged, opened to accommodate the wiring and cooling, and fitted.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
Hopefully, the weather man knows what he is talking about for tomorrow. 
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »
The weather somewhat cooperated.  A morning break from the rain, and almost no wind.  Flying weight with fuel was about 51 oz and after conversion to a 3 cell pack, about 51 -52 oz.  I saved about 20 gms on wheels from old style to new.  I have added about 15 gms of that back as tail weight, added 7.5 gms x2.  I also added about 7.5 gms of tip weight.

Turnigy motor 1250kv
9750 - 9800 RPM
5.2 second laps
60 ft lines eyelet to eyelet
2300 mah for about 5 minutes on a 2850 mah pack, so just at 80 -81% used and the times would be to short to compete.  I am far from that need.
11x5.5 EP prop

I am at the limits of my 3 cell system.  It ran up to 10500 rpm on the tach using the Governor to max and then back down to about 9800.

Sorry for the finish, or lack there of, but about 35 years of storage, and conversion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:00:03 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
So I will need more, or larger capacity cells if I want to progress with this plane.  I will also have to relook at stacking the ESC up into the cockpit for more room if I desire that.  Perhaps better to enjoy it as is and build a purposed electric.
Fred

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
If you use a motor with a lower K/v (in the 900's) you could use a 4 cell battery that has the same dimensions as your 3 cell and you would use less Mah, therefore you could extend the times ok.
Bandolero

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
Use this plane as the learning curve and start on one purpose built for electric.   Probably save some weight also.   Mean time fly the c++p out of it to get the level flight and shapes right.  Allen B. says the reverse wingover sets the pattern.   He stated he usually does several RW's before continuing on with a practice pattern. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »
If you use a motor with a lower K/v (in the 900's) you could use a 4 cell battery that has the same dimensions as your 3 cell and you would use less Mah, therefore you could extend the times ok.

I actually thought of this before.  Watts power the plane more than volts or amps, so more volts and less amps.  The best 4 cell equivalent battery is actually 241 gms instead of 248 gms, but only a 2200 mah pack.  I would have a similar issue based on the data I have seen for 4 cell amp usage.  My friend uses 4 cells and gets about 1700 -1800 ma usage in the same time frame, 5 minutes, and that is getting upper usage for a 2200 mah pack.  My pack is 113x35x30mm and the 4 cell 104x34x31mm.  I am already nose heavy on the Genesis and had to add tail weight, so I do not really want to add weight.  In addition I have a 129 - 130 gm motor and have not seen that light a 4 cell motor, especially if 5mm shaft.  If I allow about 2 to 1 weight ratio nose to tail, the weight gain adds up quickly.  Better weights may be available on CL tested equipment equipment and I would be happy to have that information.
Fred

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
Fred,
A few more grams in the nose won't make that much of a difference being the the weight is spread out over the mass of the battery and not just a piece of lead stuck on the front. Can you take more of the maple motormounts out? that will save you some. I just ordered these 4 cell packs for my son's UHP Gieskie Nobler http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24625 They weigh in at 265 grams for 2700 mah and they ship from the USA warehouse. This motor http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-2055/Cobra-C-dsh-2814-fdsh-20-Brushless-Motor/Detail is lighter and considerably more expensive than the one you are using and you would be at the upper limits of this motor. You also get to keep the 5mm shaft and could probably lose the tail weight. These are just a few suggestions. I don't know if it's worth it to you on this plane,where at best you end up an ounce lighter and over $100 poorer.
AMA 98010

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Battery pack configuration is part of the difficulty; 2 large dimensions on that one.  The motor is small and fairly low amps/watts.  Most of the proper watt motors are in a larger heavier package.  Most of the 500+ watt motors are 1.5 - 2 oz heavier, in the nose.  As it is, I fly more maneuvers and less circles, but I am getting timing back and have a ways to go.  Hopefully by then, a solution, or a new electric airplane.  I can probably fit 4 cells and more weight if necessary, but that will almost be another conversion, similar to what Bob Hunt has done above.  I am at about 635 -640 squares and 52 oz, but also a 35 year old design, airfoil, and airframe.  I will keep flying and looking, thanks for the suggestions.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Genesis 2013
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »
About a year ago I started a new Genesis with electric power in mind.  It has been slow, but finished a couple of weeks ago and finally is trimmed and flying.  Rather than a build thread, a picture shows most of the build.  Fuselage is foam core as are wings, flaps, stab and elevators.  About 665 sq area and about 65 oz, listed in "List your setup..."
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Genesis 2013
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
I have enjoyed a few outings over the last 3 weeks and have reasonable trim.  I flew my first entire pattern instead of just pieces.  The whole is much more than the sum of the parts as others have noted.  Genesis flies better than I, so practice is in order as weather allows.  I have learned a lot from the forum, great building and trim ideas.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:20:27 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here