News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Hornet ESC & FM-Hornet Timer combo  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Brodak Hornet ESC & FM-Hornet Timer combo
« on: December 17, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
I have been looking around at the various options in e-power.  I read about the Brodak Hornet combo mentioned by Dennis Adamisin in the E-Ares thread and it seems like another good system among the fray.  

Does the Brodak FM-Hornet timer and Hornet ESC combo have any prop-strike protection like the KR timer?  We generally hand launch at the fields around here due to long grass, but I do like to fly solo using a stooge as well.  The prop strike feature of the KR timer is a compelling selling point for me for that reason.  I like the simple RPM pots of the Hornet, but the KR timer seems pretty easy to adjust as well.

Does it lack anything from a performance perspective from that of the Hubin FM-1 timer?

Pro/cons compared to the KR timer?

Pro/cons compared to the Hubin FM-1 timer?

http://brodak.com/esc-f2b-hornet-40-amp-with-governor.html
http://brodak.com/timer-fm-hornet.html
http://brodak.com/media/pdf/ESC%20Brodak%20Hornet.pdf

ESC:
We worked with HTiRC to build this new Hornet ESC exclusively for Control Line Stunt - F2B. It features a very smooth and effective governor that serves to lock in the desired rpm and holds it as long as the flight - or the battery - lasts. Has a very smooth soft start so you can make realistic accelerating take-offs, and an effective prop brake. We have specified the programming most flyers will want.

Timer:
Developed by Will Hubin specifically for the Hornet ESC in governing mode. Also includes a remote start button so the timer can be mounted internally.  This timer allows START delay of 2-31 seconds, flight DURATION of 1:45 - 6:00 minutes and has two RPM adjusting pots. The coarse adjust pot is on the timer board and should be used to get the RPM within a couple hundred, then the remote mounted fine adjust pot can be used to dial in exactly what speed you need - or easily change from flight to flight for changing weather conditions.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:59:04 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
Re: FM-Hornet Timer and Hornet ESC combo by Brodak
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 03:38:55 PM »
 ;D Howdy!  Well, all I can say is I have the same setup in my ARF Legacy.  Dennis made the same suggestion to me and I went for it "hook, line and sinker".  Other than writing to him for a bit of setup guidance and advice, I haven't looked back with a bit of regret.  Dennis led me down the path of complete satisfaction.  All of my flying is done off grass thus I did upsize my wheels about 1/4" and I made new landing gear struts from 1/8" music wire because the kit supplied wire was too soft and bendable for my taste (I do a lot of "bouncing")  ;D.  As for the technical points you've asked about i.e. prop strike or performance comparison, I can't say .... I've been satisfied with the setup as installed.  As for the variable prop speed adjustments, other than the basic "playing" with it on the bench, I haven't moved them from the factory settings.  I did however adjust the flight time from the factory set to give me about 5 minutes.  I probably haven't been much help but I can attest to the performance that Dennis said it should have.  Best of all, miracle of miracles, I haven't crashed it  ;D..........................yet  :o!!    Now to see if it will survive long enough to take to Brodak 2017 LL~ LL~

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Hornet ESC & FM-Hornet Timer combo
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
Hi Brent
The Brodak Hornet ESC has the usual overcurrent protection that all ESC's have, it does not have the extra layer that the Renecle timer provides.

Will Hubin developed the FM-Hornet timer specifically for use with this ESC - it had a couple tweeks that better aligned it to the ESC's desired signal.  I also fly one of the Hornet ESC's with an FM-9 running in plain throttle mode - works great.

Jim C - thanks for the shout-out.  I am flying numerous Brodak ESC's and it is my standard installation on all new builds.   
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Brodak Hornet ESC & FM-Hornet Timer combo
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
Thanks for the response Dennis. 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here