News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Durability  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Durability
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
So, as some here on the board know, I splatted my electric powered Shoestring at VSC. Waaa, boo-hoo, OK, I'm better now. Interesting note on it. The plane pancaked in very hard (like split the wing in half and fuse in 4 pieces hard). I collected up all the running gear and last night I was testing it all to see what survived. The motor seems to be fine (E-Flite 32) other than I thought I detected what felt like a little rub in there. Changed out the bearings and bolted it up to my test bench with prop. Ran it for about a minute. No vibration and it seems fine. The ESC came out without a scratch in spite of being thrown outside the circle. Tested it out and it also seems fine (not really sure how to tell if something is about to fail, but it ran fine on the bench and appears undamaged. Same for the timer. Weirdly, the battery had a slight scuff on it, but seems to test out fine and I ran it through a charge cycle without problems.

Now, do I trust the stuff? Hmmmm.....
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Durability
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
sure,, whats the worst that can happen

all you need is to steal Lucky back from Chris, and you have the complete crash tested system,, LL~

seriosuly, I would fly it as long as the shaft isnt damaged on the motor,, you wont know for sure until you load it in flight anyway,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
I suppose that you could reset your timer for a very short (like 1 minute?) run if you were not trusting of any of the components.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Sounds like you're taking it all in stride though, so all is well. Just build another!

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »
Chris,

Yep. @#$% happens. Move on.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
Randy,I have had a bad experience with a system after a crash before.Statically it worked fine but when it was subjected to the first square corner it quit......no mans land........lost another ship.I would tread lightly.High G's could open a circuit or short one out.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
Might be best to relegate it to a beater or at least wring it out with high altitude stuff first?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »

It's easy to tell if something is about to fail, you'll know immediately after it does. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:02:28 PM »
I for one really like Chris' idea about a beater test-ship.
It could even be one of them RC thingies.
Regards,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:44:45 PM »
I'm still using the exact same stuff that came flying out of my airplane that disassembled itself on a reverse wingover.  The battery, ESC and timer landed about 100' away.  The battery has some scuffing and the motor was scratched up.  Everything still works fine, that was two years ago.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  E-flite bearings seem to go out at about 60 flights, so I have two that I can swap out at the field.  I also keep a spare ESC and timer that I can change. 

Good idea, right Mark?
Mike

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
I'm still using the exact same stuff that came flying out of my airplane that disassembled itself on a reverse wingover.  The battery, ESC and timer landed about 100' away.  The battery has some scuffing and the motor was scratched up.  Everything still works fine, that was two years ago.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  E-flite bearings seem to go out at about 60 flights, so I have two that I can swap out at the field.  I also keep a spare ESC and timer that I can change. 

Good idea, right Mark?
who ME?
I have spares,,
I just needed to de-solder the ESC from the arming switch, ( I was saving all the weight of those extra connectors you know?)
My new airframe will have completely plug in replaceable components,, and there will be a preprogrammed ESC fit to the plane, a complete Arming harness,, field replaceable, and a spare motor,, now I just need a spare easily replaced pilot,,

oh and no damn Velcro either, unless its holding the timer or wires,, NOT THE Batteries.. HB~> HB~>
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »
I have the entire setup installed in a backup plane. Hopefully, if I can get the main weapon trimmed out, I'll start working on that unit. It will work or it won't. Seems fine on a test run.

And yea, Mike. I feel like I need to buy E-Flite bearing in gross.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here