News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bearing question..  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
Bearing question..
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
I have a Cobra 2826-12 that the shaft has gain some play from side to side.. I didn't notice that when it was new.   but otherwise works fine. Is this normal ? or I should replace the bearings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bearing question..
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
Does the motor run OK?  Does the prop angle change significantly when you wiggle it that way?  Can you feel a gravelly feeling when you turn the motor, or is it smooth aside from the normal cogging?  Does the spinny* part of the motor rub on the stay-put part of the motor when you're pushing and pulling it while turning it?  Or is it just a side to side translation of the prop?

I suspect that a certain amount of wear-in is normal.  Ball bearings in general offer you a choice between high friction with good locating, or low friction and a bit sloppy.  So you actually don't want the tightest fit in a motor.  "Noticeable play" is hard to quantify, though, because there's slobs out there that would only notice play in the bearings when the motor fell apart, and there's uptight detail-oriented guys who might notice a few thousands of an inch of play that no one else could perceive.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure that changing out the bearings in these motors is fairly easy -- just get a set from Boca or Cobra, press out the old ones, and press in the new.

* I believe in using precise engineering terms at all times
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
I just felt the shaft in a brand new motor.  It has 0 play.  A how-too change bearings video is at:

I think the Cobra motor has a snap ring that needs to be removed in order to pull it apart.  A pain to say the least.  Does anyone know of a good source for a snap ring pliers?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
I would say if it's perceivable without equipment, it's time to change the bearings.

He knows more than I do about this.  BTW.

Does anyone know of a good source for a snap ring pliers?

Not specifically, but Amazon, Wholesale Tools, MSC, Eastwood, and a whole raft of other suppliers should have them.  The real question (which I can't answer) is who makes the best pliers -- once you know that there's probably a dozen places to get them.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »
I change mine with any perceptible change. The EFlite bearings I use get changed out pretty regularly.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:33:57 PM »
Does the motor run OK?  Does the prop angle change significantly when you wiggle it that way?  Can you feel a gravelly feeling when you turn the motor, or is it smooth aside from the normal cogging?  Does the spinny* part of the motor rub on the stay-put part of the motor when you're pushing and pulling it while turning it?  Or is it just a side to side translation of the prop?

The motor seems to run o.k.,  if you push on the tip of the spinner to side to side, there's about at least 1/16" play.  and there's a slight gravelly feel when you flip the prop. but goes away when its running. there is no rubbing within the motor. and the cogging seems normal.

I would say if it's perceivable without equipment, it's time to change the bearings.

MM

I most likely will.

I just felt the shaft in a brand new motor.  It has 0 play.  A how-too change bearings video is at:

I think the Cobra motor has a snap ring that needs to be removed in order to pull it apart.  A pain to say the least.  Does anyone know of a good source for a snap ring pliers?

Thanks for posting the video.    I had it apart once already.

I have seen those small snap rings plier at  KMS tools.

I change mine with any perceptible change. The EFlite bearings I use get changed out pretty regularly.

I have an E-flite 32 on my Legacy, and has well over a hundred flights so far.. and still seems fine.  

Thanks all for the replies!   H^^
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:51:50 AM by Joe Yau »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
The motor seems to run o.k.,  if you push on the tip of the spinner to side to side, there's about at least 1/16" play.  and there's a slight gravelly feel when you flip the prop. but goes away when its running. there is no rubbing within the motor. and the cogging seems normal.

Oh, God -- yes!  Change it out!  I was thinking maybe you were feeling a little 0.005" ticking.  Gravel and 1/16" of travel means the thing is about to fall apart.
AMA 64232

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »
Oh, God -- yes!  Change it out!  I was thinking maybe you were feeling a little 0.005" ticking.  Gravel and 1/16" of travel means the thing is about to fall apart.

Thanks Tim.  I guess I'll have to change it out.

Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here