News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How may I convert an older photo tach to a larger capacity?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How may I convert an older photo tach to a larger capacity?
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
     Hi All of you EE and electronic buffs:

I have an older tachometer I would like to alter it to read higher values.  As it is now, it reads 2,400 and 12,000 rpms.  I would like to perhaps double those readings.

This is a hand held tach that has a  photo cell to read light pulses. It has an analog meter to give  the readings.  The instructions in the case says that one puts reflective tape on the object to be tested.  Could I also increase the sensitivity with a better photo cell?  The meter has a pc board and is all solid state so it can't be too old.  It was manufactured by The Pioneer Electric and Research Corp Foresrt Park, Illinois

As a gadget guru, I would like to get this thing working. 

Anybody out there have any suggestion, or would like to play with this thing?

Stay well,

Franchi

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: How may I convert an older photo tach to a larger capacity?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
The sensitivity has nothing to do with it. The sensor sends pulses to a (old counter) set of flip-flops (old 74107's that divide the input pulses appropriately (digital) or, analog voltage through op amp. Then, the frequency is converted to an analog response (digital or analog) hooked up to the meter (analog). If you do not have a schematic, is like flying stunt with your eyes closed.  LL~ LL~. BUY a new one. They are cheap. TH has them for prob. 20 bucks. If you want to tinker, get the schematic from the mfg. Not an electronic buff anymore. Retired EE, Sick of electronics...Fly R/C and C/L.
 WILL NEVER PUT RCVR IN A C/L AIRCRAFT .... UHGH! n1

H^^

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
I'm so lazy now I use an audio frequency analyzer on my iPhone. It's a free app and it works pretty darned good. One less thing to drag around too.
AMA 76478

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
I'm so lazy now I use an audio frequency analyzer on my iPhone. It's a free app and it works pretty darned good. One less thing to drag around too.

Cool idea.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
Man!!! Did not know they had that! What's next... S?P

H^^

How high is the response on it though...

Advertise Here
Tags: Help needed! 

Advertise Here