News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uniflow set up for clunk tanks  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Uniflow set up for clunk tanks
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
I have a question question.  Is it possible to set up a clunk tank, Hayes or Dubro for uniflow without muffler pressure?  If so how?  I have a Flight Streak with a Fox 35 set up with muffler pressure and inside mount which works fine but I want to do a McCoy with no muffler.

Allen Eshleman

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
Re: Uniflow set up for clunk tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:26:55 AM »
I found my answer by using search from an August 6, 2007 thread started by John Miller.  I was able to print off his drawings.  The overflow is up very close to to the top edge the tank as mounted.  He says there's an advantage in using these tanks.  Instead of adjusting the tank up and down to get the right orientation with the engine, one just turns the placement of the cap with the three tubes to adjust the apparent height of the uniflow tube to bring about the best orientation with the engine and it works well for stunt.  Interesting!  I will be trying this. It's a very interesting thread.

Allen Eshleman

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »
I found my answer by using search from an August 6, 2007 thread started by John Miller.  I was able to print off his drawings.  The overflow is up very close to to the top edge the tank as mounted.  He says there's an advantage in using these tanks.  Instead of adjusting the tank up and down to get the right orientation with the engine, one just turns the placement of the cap with the three tubes to adjust the apparent height of the uniflow tube to bring about the best orientation with the engine and it works well for stunt.  Interesting!  I will be trying this. It's a very interesting thread.

Allen Eshleman

Hi Allen, I'm afraid I might have not explained well enough. You do not have to turn the entire cap to adjust the uniflows location inside the tank. You turn just the uniflow it's self, either up or down and that adjusts the uniflows height inside the tank.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »
Here's a nice site that explains everything...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~controlline/tip1.shtml
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
Thanks gentlemen,

My brother and I mounted a Dubro 4 oz. tank today using the info you gave us.  I don't know when we can try it.

I hope it is soon.

I have a question - in flight - is only the vent closed, assuming that the uniflow intake is mounted higher than the tank as indicated in the above explanation on the web site?

Allen Eshleman

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:29:30 AM »
I realize there are a lot of tanks set up with the uniflow linked to the pickup on a clunk tanks.   I'm wondering if that might be a reason for some mixed reports regarding how well plastic tanks work for stunt?

As I see it, if you tie the uniflow to the clunk, every time the clunk moves, your relative fuel head changes, and therefor, your run also changes. The whole deal with a uniflow is that where the end is, inside the tank, is the place the system sees as the center of the tank. If it's moving, then the center of your tank is also moving. It may be hard to get a really good run with that happening.

By routing the uniflow, by itself, to the inside wall of the tank, the uniflow referance does not change when the pick up moves. A better solution that should give true uniflow performance to a plastic tank.

I've posted it before, but here's a jpeg of a drawing I did that shows how to set up this style of clunk tank. H^^

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:08:55 AM »
Gentlemen,

Mr. Miller makes an interesting Uniflow Vent setup.

Rather than adjusting the height of his tank (moving the tank up and down), Mr. Miller adjust the end location of the Uniflow Vent inside the tank. 

Is this a common Uniflow Vent setup?

Has anyone tried both setups in order to determine if there is a difference?

t michael jennings
Knoxville, TN.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
I agree with John Miller. I don't see how the uniflow tied to the clunk can possibly work well.  I have watched airplanes with the tank set up this way fly, and the engine run is as good as one could ask.  However,  given my strongly held beliefs, I am sure it would not work for me. HB~>

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:33:20 PM »
Well, there have been several threads about clunk tanks with the uniflo pickup soldered to the existing clunk.  So there are two pieces of flex fuel line that go to the rear of the tank.  Not only does that work, but it works very well.  Of course, it works best with larger tanks, like 6 oz or so, because the extra length of fuel tubing is more flexible than for a shorter run.

I know there will not be any argument on this, because I got the idea right here on this site.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here