News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stuck with goo  (Read 2340 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
stuck with goo
« on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
So I bought an unflown RC plane, with all the crap and a LA 46 installed.
The engine is stuck tight....so far I have put after run oil down the carb, into the exhaust port and down the glow plug hole....no action.
Someone suggested blasting it with a heat gun....but it seems to me that that is why it is stuck....garage temps hereabouts get to 150* or so..
Thoughts?

Offline david beazley

• Captain
Re: stuck with goo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:18:49 AM »
Pull the engine off the plane and soak it in a coffee can with fuel for a couple days. The alcohol should loosen it up.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »
Heat should help, Rich. I would try that first, or maybe what DB suggested, or maybe even both.
I had a 20 year old engine that I didn't take care of, and it was solid, and the heat worked great to loosen it up. It runs great now.

Good luck!

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 04:04:14 PM by Motorman »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
So I bought an unflown RC plane, with all the crap and a LA 46 installed.
The engine is stuck tight....so far I have put after run oil down the carb, into the exhaust port and down the glow plug hole....no action.
Someone suggested blasting it with a heat gun....but it seems to me that that is why it is stuck....garage temps hereabouts get to 150* or so..
Thoughts?

It got stuck because it heated up, then cooled down.

Don't heat it with a propane torch, as long as you have an oven with a thermostat. Remove the ancillary parts, put light machine oil in all the holes, and put it in the oven at about 225-250 for about 1/2 hour, pull it out with oven mitt, attach prop, then flip it around until it's nice and flippy. If no luck, try at increasing temperature. The only way it won't work is if it is severely rusted, otherwise, the old gummy oil with thin out and once you get it moving it will be OK.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
Long days at 150 degrees will oxidize the oil, turning it into varnish.  This is bad.  Getting it good and hot will soften the varnish so you can get it off.  This is good.

If you take Motorman's advise and get it up to 350 degrees, just don't forget and leave it that way for a week, and you should be fine.  I like Brett's suggestion much better -- if I were going to do it in my shop with heat, I'd use a Monocoat gun.

Personally, I use whatever straight alcohol I have at hand -- usually isopropyl or denatured.  But I'm careful to remember that I've used it, and that it attracts water like a bandit.  I'm of the opinion that if it's that hard to loosen it's time to take it apart and crock-pot the pieces.

Whatever else you do, make sure you're getting solvent (alcohol, fuel, or Brett's light oil) into the upper cylinder, either through the exhaust ports or down the glow plug hole.

Consider crock-potting the thing if it's really that bad.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »
Just a caution,  if it does have rust  and you prop it and turn it over  until it gets flippy  you can do some serious damage ,  you can do what Brett suggested  or  use a monocote heat gun ,  and very important  I would remove the backplate , look inside  to see  if its rusted  or  what is there. and if you see it really hard gummed or  rusted  then spray it out with a can of  carb cleaner. if it is rusted do no turn it over, put it in a crock pot with antifreeze, or a gallon  can of Berrymans  carb cleaner. take it apart  after an clean it all, reinstall parts then  test the engine

Randy

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
  It got stuck because it heated up, then cooled down.

Don't heat it with a propane torch, as long as you have an oven with a thermostat. Remove the ancillary parts, put light machine oil in all the holes, and put it in the oven at about 225-250 for about 1/2 hour, pull it out with oven mitt, attach prop, then flip it around until it's nice and flippy. If no luck, try at increasing temperature. The only way it won't work is if it is severely rusted, otherwise, the old gummy oil with thin out and once you get it moving it will be OK.

Brett

This is the best ticket here me thinks.  I've sold hundreds and hundreds of engines on eBay over the past 15+ years, many of which needed "reclaiming".  And I processed many engines 15+ years before starting eBay.

The explanation: the crankcase will generally expand with heat much more significantly than the innards.  And the oven provides the best source of even heat.

I generally start at 325 to 350 degrees.  Many "stuck" engines free up pretty quickly in that scenario.

Just remember to clear off anything highly flammable, and stay near the oven.

Good luck!

Dennis

Edited to add: I always remove head, backplate, carb or needle assembly, etc. before heating.  The objective is almost always to free up the moving parts!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 10:27:10 AM »
Just a caution,  if it does have rust  and you prop it and turn it over  until it gets flippy  you can do some serious damage ,  you can do what Brett suggested  or  use a monocote heat gun ,  and very important  I would remove the backplate , look inside  to see  if its rusted  or  what is there. and if you see it really hard gummed or  rusted  then spray it out with a can of  carb cleaner. if it is rusted do no turn it over, put it in a crock pot with antifreeze, or a gallon  can of Berrymans  carb cleaner. take it apart  after an clean it all, reinstall parts then  test the engine

Randy

Well said Randy, rust changes the game.  Personally, I haven't had much success with badly rusted parts.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »
Thanks....
I'll try the monocoat gun first.....primarily because Edith would kill me if I cooked a motor in the new oven....

I'll report

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »
Thanks....
I'll try the monocoat gun first.....primarily because Edith would kill me if I cooked a motor in the new oven....

I'll report

Oh, that's to bad! ???  (So Edith is the boss eh?)  LL~ LL~ LL~

I put them in the over (On an OLD cookie tray) at 300
for 15 min. or so and when I start smelling castor oil it's time to take them out.

On BB engines, the rear BB usually drops out when hot.

Jerry

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
Boil It . two or three times. CRC between . Water in a pot , for awhile .

Darn Stuck engines like to hold on for two weeks before they free off .
so you CAN boil it a half dozen times . Maybe its the heat cycle thing ? .

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 09:06:43 PM »
150 is not enough. Hold a mounting lug with vise grips and evenly heat with propane torch until slightly smoking which is about 350. Then try to prop it over.

MM
150 C equates to just over 300 F, so it could be valid.

I use 50% ATF 50 % acetone as a penetrating oil but it will only 'penetrate' if there are micro cracks and fissures it can get into - hence the use of heat as an adjunct or vibration like ultrasonics.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here