News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:43:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinners for Fox 35 and other small engines?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Spinners for Fox 35 and other small engines?
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
I'm trying to find which brand plastic spinners fit a Fox 35 & other small engines. The spinner back plate is too thick on the plastic Dubro spinners I have without sanding down the back plate.    I called Dubro today and they said all the back plates are the same thickness on theirs. My old Carl Goldberg spinners fit fine (1/8" thick back plate) but they are no longer sold. I'm using Fox aluminum spinners nuts at the moment for the 25 & 35 but want plastic. I see Tower has them with 1/8" thick aluminum back plates with plastic cones...maybe that's the way to do it now but I wanted to hear what others are using before buying.

Thanks,
Bill P.
Bill P.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Spinners for Fox 35 and other small engines?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
You can use one of the extended nuts but the prop needs to be drilled to 5\16.  The threaded part of Fox cranks tends to vary in length, I've found. Some of my engines need extensions just to mount a prop.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
The Hanger 9 spinner, with an aluminum backplate, is pretty nice, and $10, which makes it a good deal.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »
Enya makes a propeller nut that protrudes through the washer but does not require that the prop be drilled out. It gives about 1/8" additional thread engagement than the standard nut washer.

It comes in a variety of sizes and I have them in 1/4"-28 for Fox 35, OS FP 20/25 – LA 46, etc and M5 for the OS FP 10. Order direct. Ken Enya is very easy to deal with. His batch production of engines is the only frustration dealing with him.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I like the Enya long prop nuts but need to figure out how to order on that web site.  I doesn't have a link to buy anything...might be a problem with my browser.

Hanger 9 didn't show small spinners but Tower has them with the thin al back plate, which appears the easiest way at this point.

bp   
Bill P.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:58:01 PM »
The Great Planes nylon/aluminum backplate spinners are excellent, light, inexpensive and useable. They don't have 3-blade versions, but the backplate can be reworked to fit a DuBro 3-blade spinner cone.

Dave Brown products has a counterbored prop nut/washer and probably Tru-Turn does also. So, you can get the spinners and zoot prop nut/washer setups all from Tower, fast and quick.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 03:35:21 AM »
The Hanger 9 spinner, with an aluminum backplate, is pretty nice, and $10, which makes it a good deal.

Sounds similar to some that Hobbyking sell. I've brought a few and they look nice, at a guess the backplate would be 2.5mm thick.
NZL7396

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
Anybody consider using a Brodak spinner? That's what I use on my 50TH Ann. Fox 35. Works great! y1

Jerry

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »
Jerry, can you post a link to the Brodak spinners? I looked on their website and used their search function and didn't find any. I'm pretty sure their ARF/ARC kits come with plastic spinners, and I have some of their aluminum spinners. I wonder why they don't show up on their site?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 10:20:19 PM »
This Great planes spinner is the one I finally found that works on my Fox 35. I'm pretty sure it was Steve that pointed me to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291210867885?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The aluminum in the center is not as thick as the visible edge. I think they look great, the colors are rich. They are harder plastic than the dubro and have a molded guide for your #11 blade to carve out the hole for APC props. Wear a glove when you do that.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 04:50:24 AM »
Steve, none os my Brodak ARC/ARF models came with tanks or spinners.

However, if you search the Brodak web site for spinners, you get a few accessories. Search for spinner—singular—and all the spinners they stock appear over five pages. Go figure ???

After getting one of my Brodak spinners out to find the part number and look at the Brodak web site for the above info, I checked an Enya nut.

Conceptually, the prop washer with oversize hole and shoulder nut are the same on the Brodak spinner and the Enya nut and washer assembly. The difference is that the part of the Enya hex nut protruding from the assembly is only the height of a standard hex prop nut—not extended like the Brodak nut.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:32:09 AM by Geoff Goodworth »

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »
Jerry, can you post a link to the Brodak spinners? I looked on their website and used their search function and didn't find any. I'm pretty sure their ARF/ARC kits come with plastic spinners, and I have some of their aluminum spinners. I wonder why they don't show up on their site?  H^^ Steve

Steve, I just went to the Brodak web site and typed in "aluminum spinners" . All their spinners came up! Boy, the prices sure have gone up since I last bought some. Guess that is the way of the world....

Good luck, Jerry

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »
Wow, more to spinners that fit than I expected. I checked all the suggested web sites and it appears the Great Planes 1/8" thick al back plastic spinners are the easy way to go. Tower has free shipping on these so the prices are right...and I plan to order a couple.

Thanks,
Bill P.
Bill P.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Spinners for Fox 35 and other small engines? UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
UPDATE:  I stopped in a hobby shop today and they just happened to have several bags full of the old out of production Goldberg spinners...the ones with thin back plates that fit my Fox 25,35 and McCoy 35, 40RHs. I was able to buy them in various sizes and colors...approx $4.50 ea. The owner told me he bought them when Goldberg went out business ("the first time") and had a special close out. 
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here