News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinner that fits APC props?  (Read 1887 times)

Online Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spinner that fits APC props?
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »
This isn't "engine" exactly but does any supplier make a spinner (metal or plastic) that fits APC prop hubs? I have always had to do a lot of filing and slicing to get alum or plastic spinners to fit the fat APC hubs, and then the balance is probably out of whack. I am referring to props in the 11 and 12 inch diameter range.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Spinner that fits APC props?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
   If you order a spinner direct from Tru-Turn, and tell them what you plan to use for a prop, they will cut the slots for you. But cutting prop slots isn't difficult. Some plastic spinners have alignment pins that get in the way. SIG spinners have plenty of room so that I can get a slot in a 2" spinner that will accommodate a APC 12.25-3.75. And for metal spinners, I use Great Planes spinners and cut them as needed. The trick is to only cut one side of the slot. I usually leave the front edge alone, and draw in the back portion as I see that I need it. I cut to that line and check for fit as best I can. If satisfactory, I make a paper pattern of this shape, and lay it over the opposite slot and mark as required, then cut to the line again. I make sure there is a little wiggle room for wood props aren't strained nor the spinners get stressed. If it's a metal spinner, you can use one of those Great Planes magnetic balance rigs to check it out and trim as needed. On a plastic spinner, you can just measure and cut carefully and hope for the best. And on either type of spinner, I rarely use a Dremmel tool. I use a sharp knife and file on plastic, and a good file on aluminum spinners. It's a lot easier to control how much you are taking off.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
Thanks Dan. What you are describing is what I have been doing for years, and would like to avoid if possible. I mostly use Brodak alum or Great Planes plastic nose/alum backplate spinners and they seem to work fine when modified as we do, but still would like a more precisely made product (i.e. from a factory). The fact that APC props don't fit any of the available spinners must have been noticed by someone other than the two of us. Maybe APC would like to start 3D printing a usable spinner that fits their props? Or Howard Rush?

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
Thanks Dan. What you are describing is what I have been doing for years, and would like to avoid if possible. I mostly use Brodak alum or Great Planes plastic nose/alum backplate spinners and they seem to work fine when modified as we do, but still would like a more precisely made product (i.e. from a factory). The fact that APC props don't fit any of the available spinners must have been noticed by someone other than the two of us. Maybe APC would like to start 3D printing a usable spinner that fits their props? Or Howard Rush?

I think that one Howard Rush is enough, we dont need to start 3D printing replicas of him. Ohh on second thoughts a replica Howard Robot might be useful in the shop when I need some Technical genius.

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:10 PM »
Hey Unca Bob - can we all have a Howardbot to help us in times of technical or sartorial need?

And why not a 3D printed spinner for APC prop hubs? Can't be much harder than vortex generators. What would be required in terms of programming in order to have a spinner printed, if you know? I would assume only the spinner needs to be made, to fit an existing backplate. The modified Brodak spinner you have is for APC props and could be the model for a printed one. This could actually work.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
Hi Mike, I usually go the grind and file route but Tru-Turn does have an off the shelf spinner with wide slots that works great for the APC 12.25 x.3.75 or 11.5 x4 (what I use) props. I only have one but have used it on a number of planes with success. It should be listed on their online catalog.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 08:11:53 PM »
Thanks Pete, I will check out TruTurn's website. But I do think that 3D printing is a viable alternative. Unless it costs $500 to make a plastic spinner. Maybe I will stick with Brodak spinners and my set of round files. Not like I need to make 20 spinners.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:00:11 AM »
A few bits of say 1/8 ( ply ? ) and a scraper ( knife )
if you have no virneer .

A few marks Ea Side - same ( as they say ) ,

SO youve a grid or referance , though its NOT the ' Final Posn . '

As in you sit it flat and if youve say 1/8 or 3 /32 ply ' even ' off cuts , use the scalple to set parralel lines aft ? of ea cut out ( in rotation )

Then holdin a ' thing ' thru the prop cut outs , across the spinner , staring at the base , you can mark even steps round ways , using Yr packers .

Hope thats readable logically . Obviously you need virgin cut outs , or one edge at least . SO IF THEYRE EVEN , Theyre In Balance .

Which is why & what . i.e. a grid where youll whittle the spinner .

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
... I mostly use Brodak alum or Great Planes plastic nose/alum backplate spinners and they seem to work fine when modified as we do, but still would like a more precisely made product (i.e. from a factory). ...
Those Great planes spinners with the aluminum backplates that Mike mentions, if I recall correctly, have a ridge inside behind the cutout. If you use it as a guide and cut along that line, it fits APC 11 and 12" props nicely. The GP aluminum ones made by Dave Brown are also an easy to fit with a small file and 5 minutes.

Here's a list of both.
http://stores.ebay.com/OmniModels/_i.html?_nkw=great+planes+spinner&submit=Search&_sid=139091328

I use the 2" and 2-1/4" from that list. If you don't see it on the first page, keep going. Good prices and $1.99 shipping. If you click on an aluminum one, the bottom of the page gives you a link to the Dave Brown adapter.
Rusty

Now, I realize Mike started the thread. Oh well, I hope it helps anyway.

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here