News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ro-jett 61 prop advice / changed to pipe set up  (Read 13017 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Ro-jett 61 prop advice / changed to pipe set up
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
Ok, i did the search thing, and im confident enough in the prop size. Randy Smith has been helping me via email in the pipe and header.
So my question is... Is it a bad idea to use a xoar or mejzlik prop? The props that everyone mentions sound great, but i don't know where to get them. I'm shooting for competing in advanced this season, so i probably couldn't tell the difference in prop types anyway. And i like wood props, is that a good idea to use a quality wood prop?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:28:30 PM by Dane Martin »

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Ro-jett 61 prop advice
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »
Looks like I'm just dumb. Randy lists props on his website. Sorry guys.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
Randy has CF props again? Bolly quit and then Mejzlik quit making F2B sizes. I haven't heard about any others, except Brian Eather, and Alan & Chris in BC.  I got a couple of B.E. props late this year. Wishing I could afford to buy more, but mostly need a longer LG. Don't cut the prop clearance too short!

I sent you a PM with offer of some useful info. Are you going to run a pipe or muffler? Pipe, I hope. A little fiddling to get it working, but otherwise very reliable and no-fuss, from my 4+ years with them.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:40:36 PM »
Ok, i did the search thing, and im confident enough in the prop size. Randy Smith has been helping me via email in the pipe and header.
So my question is... Is it a bad idea to use a xoar or mejzlik prop? The props that everyone mentions sound great, but i don't know where to get them. I'm shooting for competing in advanced this season, so i probably couldn't tell the difference in prop types anyway. And i like wood props, is that a good idea to use a quality wood prop?

I am pretty sure you would be able to tell! Presuming you have the same setup I run, you want a 12.5" 3-blade, and then adjust the pitch to get about 5.3 second laps with a launch RPM of about 10,000. It should 4-stroke throughout the flight under normal circumstances. For me, that's 3.75".

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »
Ok,, cool guys. So the airplane is a kit built strega. My friend gave it to me. It's a great build, but a little heavy. I don't mean that as rude. Just compared to others, it's a little portly. I'll get the AUW when i find my scale.
Brett, you're probably right. I'm sure i could tell, so i guess my question is, can i get "cheaper" props to experiment on pitch because of my overweight plane? Or go with the three blade 4 and 5 pitch and try two?
I have watched this plane fly by someone who competes in advanced, with a ro-jett 65. So i know it's fully capable

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
Oh, and Steve. Yes a pipe. Randy is hooking it up! Told me what i need and he's got it in stock.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 11:05:15 PM »
Brett, you're probably right. I'm sure i could tell, so i guess my question is, can i get "cheaper" props to experiment on pitch because of my overweight plane? Or go with the three blade 4 and 5 pitch and try two?

You get one CF prop, and you repitch it.  At least -- that's the story I keep hearing.  Basically, you get epoxy hot enough and it'll take a set.  So heat, fondle, let cool, check pitch, repeat.

You'll want a fancy pitch gauge.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

John Leidle

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 01:52:26 AM »
  Hi Dane ,
  What I recommend is set yours up as close to Brett's as you are able , his seem to work as well as any I've seen.  I'd say that plane will put quite a demand on the engine  . Good luck locating the proper propeller.
  John L.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 10:19:32 AM »
Eliminator Props in the Vendor's section sells  copies of the Bolly 12 and 13" 4.24 pitch CF props. That would be a good place to start.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
Eliminator Props in the Vendor's section sells  copies of the Bolly 12 and 13" 4.24 pitch CF props. That would be a good place to start.  8)

Lol, i just emailed Steve H last night, "why didn't i think of that?". My last batch of 1/2A speed props came from Steve Wilk. Thanks for the reply

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »
  Hi Dane ,
  What I recommend is set yours up as close to Brett's as you are able , his seem to work as well as any I've seen.  I'd say that plane will put quite a demand on the engine  . Good luck locating the proper propeller.
  John L.

Thanks John. Steve H emailed me the articles last night. Also, i checked out the post from Brett's nats set up. I'll just be copying that.... Thanks Brett!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
Thanks John. Steve H emailed me the articles last night. Also, i checked out the post from Brett's nats set up. I'll just be copying that.... Thanks Brett!

Note that I have used a late Randy/Billy pipe on mine from the start, just like on my PA. Get the current model closest to the 51-60 "Slimline" pipe. Randy knows which one I am talking about.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
Thanks Brett, and everyone for your responses. When i get the new pipe and header, I'll update you guys on my progress.
Tim, why didn't i think of that? Lol. Thanks!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
Just as an update, i got the pipe and header. I'll take the header into the shop tomorrow. I'll need to modify it slightly. The engine is rectangular in the mount area, this header is a diamond. I'll just square it off a little. I'll do it there in case i go too far and need to tig weld the joint again. I believe there's plenty of room to take off material.

Anyway, i want to get on this thing and get it in the air. It's actually really nice weather here.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Ro-jett 61 prop advice / changed to pipe set up
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
Ok, opportunity for solution number 1:
The header is actually a significant difference in size. I would need to machine off a lot of material, and weld the left over gaps. Or, easier option is to make an aluminum spacer plate. Are there any engineering or metallurgical oppositions to a spacer plate?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:23 PM »
Ok, opportunity for solution number 1:
The header is actually a significant difference in size. I would need to machine off a lot of material, and weld the left over gaps. Or, easier option is to make an aluminum spacer plate. Are there any engineering or metallurgical oppositions to a spacer plate?

Dane  The ones I have seen came with spacer plates, that is why I told you the short 1/2 inch  bolts  would not work

Randy

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 10:37:55 PM »
Oh, great. I guess i know see exactly what you're talking about. Then this is a very easy fix. I'll make a 3/16 spacer to clear the fins. That will be solved tomorrow. Thanks again Randy. This is going to be great

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 11:28:59 PM »
Oh, great. I guess i know see exactly what you're talking about. Then this is a very easy fix. I'll make a 3/16 spacer to clear the fins. That will be solved tomorrow. Thanks again Randy. This is going to be great

Note that the screws are 5-40's, not 4-40's. 4-40's will thread in OK but strip out when you try to tighten it.

The stub exhaust normally comes with it. Its 1/4" thick, about .518 x 1.21. Flatten and clean both mating surface, flatten and clean the facing part of the header, and clean the mating face on the engine. Then assemble it with Permatex "Ultra Copper" silicone (or the similar red high-temp silicone from 3M) and *nothing else*. DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT, use any separate gasket material of any type.

Use a spigot in the #5 venturi, carefully counterboring the dribble hole for the head of the smallest SIG eyelet (1/16 OD of the barrel of the eyelet). Push it in until it sticks out about .025-.032" from the surface. Use a panty hose diffuser on the inlet.

Brett
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:48:41 PM by Brett Buck »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:48 AM »
Dane  The ones I have seen came with spacer plates, that is why I told you the short 1/2 inch  bolts  would not work

Randy - people keep asking me which pipe to use, but I don't know your part number/name/SKU for the correct version. The one they want is the nearest equivalent to the old Billy 51-60 "slimline" pipe that was 1.4" in diameter. What do you call that one?

It also needs the large exhaust outlet and the very largest ID DuBro stinger. They made a thin-wall version, that's the one I use. The black Hattori one also works. The large diameter outlet is critical. Even the big ones need to be cut off as short possible or it has drastic effects on the responsiveness.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
    Note that the screws are 5-40's, not 4-40's. 4-40's will thread in OK but strip out when you try to tighten it.

The stub exhaust normally comes with it. Its 1/4" thick, about .518 x 1.21. Flatten and clean both mating surface, flatten and clean the facing part of the header, and clean the mating face on the engine. Then assemble it with Permatex "Ultra Copper" silicone (or the similar red high-temp silicone from 3M) and *nothing else*. DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT, use any separate gasket material of any type.

Use a spigot in the #5 venturi, carefully counterboring the dribble hole for the head of the smallest SIG eyelet (1/16 OD of the barrel of the eyelet). Push it in until it sticks out about .025-.032" from the surface. Use a panty hose diffuser on the inlet.

Brett

Thanks for the info Brett. Thanks especially for the measurements. That's pretty easy to copy. I'll check what's on the spigot situation. Rumor has it, this engine was flown in the nats already. It might have a good set up. I bought it sans header and prop nut

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 02:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Brett. Thanks especially for the measurements. That's pretty easy to copy. I'll check what's on the spigot situation. Rumor has it, this engine was flown in the nats already. It might have a good set up. I bought it sans header and prop nut

Where'd you get it? That will tell me something about how it was being run before. PM if shy...

Check the venturi diameter and the presence/absence of the spigot, if no spigot, check that it has the 1/16" "dribble hole" rather than the .100 dribble hole. If the .1000, you can either fill it the way I showed in the old SSW post "cheater venturis...", or, better, get some new replacements with the 1/16" hole, and the "long" version rather than the "short" version. You can tolerate a pretty big venturi (although not nearly as large as were supplied with the GMA engine). But you may not be able to tolerate carrying enough fuel for, say, a #3 spigot. With a #5 anticipate about 6.5-6.6 ounces of 10% Powermaster "Air". If it is way lower (under 6) or way higher (7+), then something else interesting it going on.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »
Ok, so with a little luck, i got the spacer made. I was have mucho problems with my "mill" set up. The chuck kept falling off everytime i advanced the table forward! Whatever, i got it. I'm measuring a 5-40 × 7/8 exhaust bolt. Does that sound about right?
Brett, did i pm you? My phone sometimes skips the send portion of pm's

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:56 AM »
Ok, so with a little luck, i got the spacer made. I was have mucho problems with my "mill" set up. The chuck kept falling off everytime i advanced the table forward! Whatever, i got it. I'm measuring a 5-40 × 7/8 exhaust bolt. Does that sound about right?

Yes, I got it, but I haven't responded yet. I will check the header screws when I get a chance.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »

Dane
just screw in a 540 to both holes in the case, see how far it goes in, take that measurement, add the thickness of the spacer and header block, the subtract 1/16 inch
you may need  to trim a 1 inch bolt, or maybe not??

Randy

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
Thanks guys. I gotta order some bolts from like jl fasteners or something online. I don't have anything 5-40. I'll call the pres and tres of our club too. Maybe they got some laying around

Edit, just found out 5-40 bolts are very common in rc cars. Team associated especially. So hobby people has plenty. This is working out pretty easy
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:55:56 AM by Dane Martin »

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
Why don't you call Dub Jett and get the right part and the right screws?

Just asking,

Tim

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
Why don't you call Dub Jett and get the right part and the right screws?

Just asking,

Tim

Tried that first. He seems to be a busy man. The spacer was pretty easy to make. Just annoying about the shop equipment

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 07:39:32 PM »
Is there an RPM i should be shooting for on the ground? Or is it an experiment with your set up kinda situation?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 08:03:39 PM »
Ok, without the pipe, i was at 5.7 sec. I just timed it now for this first flight, and i was at 4.6 sec. So.... Not correct. But, the control system felt good. Obviously too responsive because I'm flying too fast. I know that it was a lean run... Not dangerously lean, just not correct

I have a cut down rev up. Was a 14, cut down to 13 with 5 pitch. I think Pat Johnston was gonna send me some props to test.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:49 PM »
I don't have a RO-Jett .61, but I'd suggest setting the pipe length at whatever Randy's chart suggests for the exhaust timing it has...which I believe is up around 145*.  Then, I'd borrow a CF prop or two from your locals and start launching at 10k to 10.5k.  Using a prop you can't replace or isn't potentially the best prop for the combo isn't very productive, IMO.

Always get a reading on launch rpm every flight, so you know where to go from there. Be sure the engine is fully warmed up, because if it isn't, you don't really have a baseline. The engine will lean out as it heats up...about the time you get the handle strapped on. Don't run the pipe shorter than suggested...tends to burn down the engine, I think. I've heard PW say that a couple times, not speaking to me, however. Brian Eather makes really nice stunt props, and is pretty quick to get them to your door.

Email Brett if you need good prop advise. I would guess wrong, no doubt, but I've had very good results on the .46VF and PA .51 with the 12 x 3.75 undercambered 3 bladers (full 12" for the .51, 11.5" for the VF), so I'd probably try a 13" version and pitch it to 4" and maybe pitch up the last 2" to 4.5" or so. My experience indicates that the U/C props work better on overweight models...or maybe for overweight pilots?  YMMV~  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »
Is there an RPM i should be shooting for on the ground? Or is it an experiment with your set up kinda situation?

Yes. The setup information will yield a desired launch RPM of about 10000-10100, in room-temperature air. Adjust the pitch and diameter to get the desired in-flight speed with that as a starting RPM.

I would expect 5" of pitch to be way too much. I run a 12.5-3.75 3-blade. The engine should run in a 4-stroke throughout the flight, or at most breaking into a 2 at the last few corners of the square 8.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:07 PM »
Ok, i was lean, and it broke early in every maneuver. I really am taking this advice and applying it. I don't have the correct props, i just wanted to fly today. I'm gonna fly again in the morning. I'll change the prop and tach it before flight.

Steve, you are spot on about inquiring on pipe length. Randy and i had many conversations about that stuff. I started at 18.75 inches length

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:31:49 PM by Dane Martin »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »
HI Dane

18.75 would be a closer place to start

Randy

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »
Whoops, just caught that. Typo.
Thanks Randy

According to the charts, i would be in the 18.5 - 19.5 range, right?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »
Whoops, just caught that. Typo.
Thanks Randy

According to the charts, i would be in the 18.5 - 19.5 range, right?

yes  ;D

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
 Please set it up per this post:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=232053&mesg_id=232053

with the suggestions above. This is not an experiment or a new development, this setup is far and away the best stunt engine I have ever run or tried and has proven absolutely bulletproof over the last 13 years or so. The only issue is to get a prop that works with this system, but given the desired 10,000 rpm launch revs, the fact that it runs in a 4 stroke all the time, and has to fly at 5.25-5.4 laps, that should narrow it down to ONLY the prop. 5" appears to be *far* too much pitch. I am running 3.75" and the same system will work with 3.6 to 4.2 depending on the air density. 3.75 to 3.9 is the middle of the range. The second airplane flew better with 3.9, the current airplane does better with 3.75, even on hot days in Muncie.

The pipe length should be 17.5".

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
10-4. Will comply
Steve, you told me at one point who to contact for a new pitch gauge, but i forgot... Help me out again?
That's the only hold up i have on prop issues now. I don't fly with any one with props i can experiment with. I'm kinda solo in this endeavor, so bear with my learning curve guys..
Thanks!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 03:37:33 PM »
Hi Dane

to follow  Brett's suggestion, you will need to get the same Eather props, or clones, or it will not work, if you run more pitch as you stated you will need to run a longer pipe length, as I suggested, if not it will not be running and getting the pipe benefits, so first thing is you should try to get props, and a pitch gauge, I hope you have someone close who can help with the pitching of the props
let me know if you need help with anything

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 11:38:39 PM »
Hi Dane

to follow  Brett's suggestion, you will need to get the same Eather props, or clones, or it will not work, i

It will work with other props.  What you need to find a prop with similar load characteristics that provides the necessary speed, which is why you start with a known proven system and adjust the prop around it, not go off on a tangent with speculative systems.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »

It will work with other props.  What you need to find a prop with similar load characteristics that provides the necessary speed, which is why you start with a known proven system and adjust the prop around it, not go off on a tangent with speculative systems.

Brett

to follow  Brett's suggestion, you will need to get the same Eather props, or clones, "

hence the reason, i wrote the above  in my post , he will need props that he can work pitch on, that are very similar to the ones you use

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2016, 07:57:04 PM »
Ok, let me ask this dumb question... Sorry in advance. I'm measuring the pipe length from the glow plug to the first baffle. If anyone can see this black sharpie mark, i just want to verify that I'm measuring correctly. It's the part right at where the taper ends and the straight tube begins, right?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
The yellow mark is the first baffle  measure from there to the glow plug

Randy

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 09:06:07 PM »
Oh! I'm pretty sure you already told me that in an email when you mailed me the pipe. Sorry, but thanks again!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »
Ok, i got the pipe length set to 17.5". I read through Brett's article. I believe I'm set up the same. As long as i can prop it to get the same load and speed i should be done ! I'm heading out to the field now. I have my tach with me this time!

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »
Ok. I already know I'm doing this wrong. But in the spirit of changing only one thing at a time to prove the necessity for change.... I changed the pipe length to 17.5 and tached it today to 10,050. Much too fast lap times. I timed it with my phone, so I'm not sure how accurate i was, however it was 4.5ish.

So... I'm still at the fact that i have the wrong prop. I knew that before this, but it was worth a shot just to see if it could be a little better.

The worse part of all this is knowing enough to know what i need, but not understanding or having the resources to get there. Doing this alone is really difficult! I don't see finding a prop, a pitch gauge and setting this all up before the Palmer at Whittier this month.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »
what pitch are you using now?  try one with about 1/2 pitch less.
Also are you in a 4 cycle at that speed? or a 2 cycle?
You should try the setup launching the plane in the fastest 4 cycle it will run in on the ground, this should be a solid 4 in the air, check laptimes  then

Randy

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »
Thanks Randy. Like i said, i know I'm wrong on the prop. It was running in a pretty fast 4. I'm still running a 5 pitch. It's pretty much impossible to get my hands on a prop around here. I'm going to order the bolly repro from Steve Wilk. Then I'll work on a finding a pitch gauge.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
I'd like to see you trying a 12-4 or 13-4 APC as an interim sort of deal. I haven't laid hands on the 13-4, but I believe it's a much wider blade. Don't automatically think the "dagger" 12-4 won't work for stunt...they do work on some engines. Apparently, blade area isn't as important as once believed. D>K Steve

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 12:21:57 AM »
Excuse the back track here but...is this the BB version of the 61 or the standard Ro-Jett timing version? The higher timed BB version will probably have "BB" or "BB Timing" inscribed somewhere on the case if it is (or at least the ones I have seen do). Not sure if the BB setup will work for a standard timed Ro-Jett.  ???
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 12:45:02 AM »
Hey Pete! I believe what you're talking about has been covered. The way the engine and pipe are set up now, the engine runs great. My airspeed is just too fast. I will attribute this to me setting everything up according to Bretts SSW post, except the correct prop. If I'm going to set it up the way he did, i also have to use his prop. Which, by the way, has been ordered and will be taken care of.

Steve, i like what your saying. I really need to practise with a plane i know works well before this contest on the 24th-25th. The fact that i have to order props and wait puts this plane out for me. I'll get it going for the next one though. As soon as props come in, I'll update you and let you know what's up.
 Also, I'm thinking I'll just have to order that pitch gauge from the UK i told you about. Puts me farther out on this project :(

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here