News:

• April 26, 2024, 01:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote Needle Valves  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Remote Needle Valves
« on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
Whats your opinion, do they work for Stunt ?
Because if they do ....
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: Remote Needle Valves
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
I've never had a problem with the std. LA40S remote needle.
I suspect it's a folk myth that you have to change them to a venturi mounted NVA.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
Whats your opinion, do they work for Stunt ?
Because if they do ....

Worked every time I tried them, Fox 35 to 25LA. The only problem I have seen is that for the ones molded into the backplate, on a profile, they get broken off in an inverted crash, which breaks the backplate as well. The type on a bracket is fine, far as I can tell.

Brett

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
So this is why I asked about this.  I'm thinking a bracket mounted NVA can be adjusted vertically eliminating the need to make the tank adjustable.  Moving the NVA with respect to tank position should have same effect as moving tank relative to a engine mounted NVA.   Not a big deal for profiles, but on full fuse birds its a big plus.  Not having to move tank for adjusting means you can use the full space for tank volume and installing a fixed tank should be easier in general.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
So this is why I asked about this.  I'm thinking a bracket mounted NVA can be adjusted vertically eliminating the need to make the tank adjustable.  Moving the NVA with respect to tank position should have same effect as moving tank relative to a engine mounted NVA.   Not a big deal for profiles, but on full fuse birds its a big plus.  Not having to move tank for adjusting means you can use the full space for tank volume and installing a fixed tank should be easier in general.

Does not  work that way, you need  to move  either end,  (pick up, uni, or inlet into venturi )  but  not the middle.

And  NO  it is not the  same, the remote NVA  works fine on a non cycle motor, running a  wet 2 cycle, or  sometimes  a  all 4 cycle,  but.. the remote  NVA  does not  work as well as standard  when running an engine cycling, it  has a slight delay, making the motor  slightly  dumb.. and is not as quick to respond.  It/s  close  but not quite there,  Does it work  OK  for  your  use???  maybe so maybe no ,  The only way to tell  is to try the  setup on your  airplane  and see  if  you like it.

Randy

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »
Does not  work that way, you need  to move  either end,  (pick up, uni, or inlet into venturi )  but  not the middle.
Randy
I thought it would have been dependent on where the pressure drop occurs, which is in the NVA (restriction) ?   Maybe that with a remote NVA there are two pressure drops, one in the NVA and another in the spray bar hole.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 03:10:26 PM »
I've only tried two remote NV's, one from an OS .29X (old Max III speed engine), and a bone-stock OS .25LA. I didn't like either, for starting problems mostly. I think the .25LA one leaked a lot of air, so when I choked the engine and got the fuel up to the venturi, the fuel would run back away from the venturi by the time I put the igniter on.

The .29X deal was about 55 years ago, so I can't remember much except that it went away very quickly. For both, I recall that the NV response to adjustments was painfully slow and totally unacceptable. The .25LA unit suggested to me that the Magnum and ASP remote unit is one heck of a lot better made, and that is difficult for me to admit.

As Randy said, that's not the way to avoid adjusting for tank height. Moving the uniflow tube inside the tank is the only option, other than changing relative height between tank and engine. Not many will move the engine instead of the tank!   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
Well, Steve, I have moved engines on Boxcar Chiefs to adjust for tank height but that is an unusual situation.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
   My experience with rear mounted needle valves when Sean was younger is that you need to choke the engine more when starting, and if you don't have the tank exactly right, it takes a loooong time for the engine to quit. That is tank height and back end canted out a bit, to get a clean cutoff. This was mainly on OS.40FPs.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 02:21:37 AM »
I've noticed that when I keep the fuel tubing between valve and engine short, about 1/2", it has no ill effect to engine run. But I talk about rear intake engine.
I think that's even better than normal needle valve, as regulator is less affected by heat and maybe engine vibration.

L

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
The suction head at the  engine's intake is independent of needle valve location. What matters is where the fuel opening into the venturi is. Typically, this is the same place the needle valve is, but it doesn't have to be.  

AMA 76478

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »
Less likely to suffer finger cuts with remote set up.  Great invention!

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here