• April 17, 2024, 07:43:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pa 61  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Steve Bakac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Pa 61
« on: May 25, 2017, 03:48:15 AM »
Hi guys I'm running a pa 61 with a rear muffler using a kaz minato carbon fibre clank tank ,the problem I'm having is it starts off with a nice two four break but Slowly richens up though the pattern by the time I get to the overheads it's a four stroke setting . Any ideas how to fix it.
Setup ventri .211
          Plug thunderbolt big bore
          Fuel 10sny/10castor/10nitro
          No muffler pressure
Cheers Steve

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Pa 61
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:05:11 AM »
Is the tank isolated against heat radiating from engine and muffler? I allways cover my tanks (metal) with balsa and silver mylar.
When fuel is slowly getting heated during flight, viscosity goes down and causes the engine to go rich.
But, it can also be bad plumbing which I doubt as it's from Kaz.

Lauri

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »
Not sure of the cause but something to try;  you are running open with ( I assume) the uniflow vent aimed into the slipstream.  If the tank vent is super effective you may be building up a little more pressure head than you need on the fuel.  Try sleeving the inlet down a size or two or put a piece of fuel line on it and stick the loose end into the cowling.  This will slow the air going in and might solve your issue.  After that I'd start playing with the muffler back- pressure by varying the exhaust outlet and see what happens. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
I had the same issue when someone suggested I make the vent from a little larger than 1/8"
tubing. A mistake.

As previously suggested, try making the vent smaller. You can experiment easily at the field with fuel Tubing and brass tubing inserts to see if that's it before rebuilding a tank.

Curt

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
I would mention that this can be a typical reaction to a small leak in a uniflo tank system.  Starts off with one setting then as the leak (hole) becomes uncovered with fuel (inside the tank) the uniflo restriction lessens and the engine setting richens.

Have you pressure tested the tank under water?  If not...Do so!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
I have found that pressure doesn't always detect leaks, especially in our tanks, where almost all end caps are fastened (soldiered or glued) over the main tank....Suction (use a fueling syringe) reveals a little more.
More annoying, is the possibility that the uniflow tube has an internal tear....not visible unless taken apart, I believe. I wish Brett of someone would explain how to detect this without taking it out of the tank....

Good Luck

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
If it was the vent it would happen from the start not change slowly. If it was a leak it would change dramatically when you lose the uniflow.

No.  Randy is talking about the inflow line itself, not the vent.  If it has a leak upstream from the end of the inflow it will give these symptoms.  Fuel, prop load, plug, and venture size also enters in.  Randy Smith will move this thread and give an answer.
Mike

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
Hi guys I'm running a pa 61 with a rear muffler using a kaz minato carbon fibre clank tank ,the problem I'm having is it starts off with a nice two four break but Slowly richens up though the pattern by the time I get to the overheads it's a four stroke setting . Any ideas how to fix it.
Setup ventri .211
          No muffler pressure
Cheers Steve

OY!  A.211 venturi with no spigot?  That's rather large, FAR bigger then I ever ran. I used a #5 drill (.205) with a 1/16x.030 spigot. With a spigot, maybe a .211/#3, but without, wow. You didn't mention a diffuser (air filter or pantyhose), that might give you a chance with that large a venturi and a flush outlet. I think it comes with a #12 venturi (.189) which normally gives very good power and will provide much better fuel suction.

However, an excessively-large venturi  normally causes it to go lean, not rich. This is not the effect of a uniflow leak, which usually turns it into a suction tank, nor the venting (which is moot aside from windy weather). It *does* sound like the fuel getting heated but you did most of what it needed to combat that. Anything wrong will be greatly exaggerated with the large venturi, but going to a normal venturi will only reduce the issue, not solve it.

Other than restoring a normal setup with a normal-sized venturi (like a #7 or 8 with no spigot, and maybe #5 with a spigot and diffuser), the only thing I can think is that there is a heat-variable leak in the intake area somewhere. For example, the spraybar is leaking air around the screws and nuts holding it in that clears itself up as the engine temperature changes.  This is pretty common if you do not seal your spraybar to the case with sealant, although usually that causes instability on the ground more than in the air. At least make sure to verify that the nut holding the spraybar and the collet are *tight*.

Maybe also an air leak around the venturi itself. The PA series is somewhat more prone to that than others because the compression of the o-ring around the venturi and holding it on the back makes it want to tilt in the bore. We usually selected for venturis with the smallest clearance fore/aft and it's important to use the stock *black* o-rings, or the venturis with the undercut if you use the red silicone types. I have seen a lot of people try a "pretty close" o-ring from the hardware store that was too thick to seal properly, or tended to squirt out from under the flange under pressure. The same things happened with the red/orange o-ring, until the bore was undercut to permit proper clearance. Too thick also exacerbates the tendency of the venturi to tilt in the bore.

Any of those could be it, or something else. This is a strange case, any time I saw this it was the fuel heating up.

Brett

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
Remember that the natural operation of a uniflo tank is to richen as the volume of air in the tank gets larger.  Unless you are really rich at the end of the flight, you might have a fairly nominal operation.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »
Remember that the natural operation of a uniflo tank is to richen as the volume of air in the tank gets larger.  Unless you are really rich at the end of the flight, you might have a fairly nominal operation.

???  Mine doesn't do that, it runs the same, and that is certainly the purpose of having uniflow.

Brett

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »
Is the tank isolated against heat radiating from engine and muffler? I allways cover my tanks (metal) with balsa and silver mylar.
When fuel is slowly getting heated during flight, viscosity goes down and causes the engine to go rich.
But, it can also be bad plumbing which I doubt as it's from Kaz.

Lauri

I will vote for Lauri's explanation as a potential problem/solution.  My Aldrich-Jett 50 had the rear exhaust just below the tank.  Muffler pressure on a uniflow tank.  Plenty of ventilation of fresh air around the muffler.  The engine would go rich as the flight progressed.  I put some insulation between the muffler and the tank and the problem went away.

Keith

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
Setup ventri .211
          No muffler pressure
Cheers Steve

Hi Steve

The venturie  is  way  too large, and if someone drilled it out to that size , that is a large problem as it is ruined and is not a venturi any longer, you should have one  with a  # 12  drill size,  however bad that is  it does not  seem to be the cause of this problem
Seems like the first thing to do is try to seal the heat from the tank,  I have had  so many people that had either header or muffler touching, just barely the tank, or extremely close, it would also help to see a photo of the  front end, and how the airflow  get thru.
Double check that your tank is not being too close to the muffler,   I have had people swear it not touching, then I showed them the tiny wear marks on the header or muffler where it was.
Also check that the  needle is not  touching  the fuse  sides, that will cause  rich or lean runs,
Heat  in the engine is another thing to look at,  make sure you get air over the engine  and  muffler  BEFORE  any air  exits, so this means  NO vents on the  cowling before that end of the  muffler

I think you have enough to try  now,  so please  let us know  how it goes

Randy

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 03:33:54 AM »
Thank you guys for all your help .i tried insulating the tank from the muffler first as they say change one thing at a time n went flying surprisingly it fixed the problem.Randy n Brett I'm going to change the Venturi next but I only have a .184 or a.200 so I'll go with the .184 for a starter. Again guys many thanks now I can get into trimming and practicing for the Nat's in 2 weeks time.
Cheers Steve

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »

This is pretty common if you do not seal your spraybar to the case with sealant, although usually that causes instability on the ground more than in the air.

Hey Brett, what type of sealant do you use for this ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
Hey Brett, what type of sealant do you use for this ?

Allen

you can use  any  clear  , red, blue, black, white  silicone, just be careful  not to get it  inside, this has never been a problem for many people, and when I have seen this  , 90 %  of the time  this is what has happened, people take the  Needle assembly and venturi out, when they  re-install it, they push the  spray bar thru without the venturi pressed  down enough, or  too much, then the threads  cut off small pieces of venturi or aluminum, the small debris gets caught into the threads, they then put on the  nut, screw it down, it pushes the debris against the case body and the nut, the  debris  stops the  NVA  from seating  and  sealing properly, so what I do is brush the threads  off  before installing  the  nut

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here