News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS LA 46 piston and sleeve replacement  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Bud Shipley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
OS LA 46 piston and sleeve replacement
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
Hi everyone
A double retread here.  I am gearing up for more stunt fun and on replacing the piston and sleeve in my LA 46 I find that the head doesn't come in contact with the crankcase-a small gap exists.  I have a LA 40 to compare and the head on it is in contact with the crankcase.  Is the LA 46 like the Fox Rocket 40 in which the sleeve extends out of the crankcase?  Or do I have it wrong?
TIA
Bud
I scrolled thru the posts but didn't see any relevant to this.  Hope its not a redundant question.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: OS LA 46 piston and sleeve replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
The sleeve does protrude slightly above the case.  At least, it does on the LA 46s that I have.  There may be versions that are not so.  I assume you have noticed the small pin that fits in the notch of the lip on the sleeve to position the sleeve properly.

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
Jim after what you just said I think I did it correctly.  I did line up the sleeve notch with the tiny rolled pin.  Tightened it up and it cranks alright.  I hope the compression improves as I break it in.  Thank you
Bud

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
Just wondering why you needed to replace the piston and sleeve.  I had to do that a few months ago.  One of the LA 46s was hard to start.  At times, little compression, then it would run fine.  I took it apart and noticed areas on the sleeve where the chrome (or nickel?) had peeled off.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »
Hi

The head  will not  touch the top of the crankcase  on either motor, there  just maybe very little clearance  but the  head seats on the  sleeve top

Randy

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »
Jim I scaled up a canard, (Shinden, a pusher) and the OS got hot real quick because I didn't have a cowl on it-live and learn.  Anyway it was leaking down because of that is why I replaced it.  BTW balance point is quite a challenge on a canard with engine in the rear.
Bud
Also thanks Randy for the info.  It was my first foray into the OS, so I just never noticed the small gap until I had it apart.  Boy what a great engine!
Setup is 9/32 venturi, 6 oz uniflo, Big Art tongue muffler, stock nv-seems like anything I tried other than this was downhill.  Just too happy with it. 
Bud

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Also thanks Randy for the info.  It was my first foray into the OS, so I just never noticed the small gap until I had it apart. 

Almost all current engines are the same way, the head sits on the liner. If the head touches the case, something is wrong.

Brett

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
    Almost all current engines are the same way, the head sits on the liner. If the head touches the case, something is wrong.

Brett
Couldn't believe how much the model airplane hobby (sport) had changed.  I went in other directions at about 16 and returned at about 60.  The beautiful running engines are what impressed me the most.  So I have much to learn about them.
Bud

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
Couldn't believe how much the model airplane hobby (sport) had changed.  I went in other directions at about 16 and returned at about 60.  The beautiful running engines are what impressed me the most.  So I have much to learn about them.
Bud

No kidding, it's a different world, particularly because of the engines.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »
Did you notice that the .40LA and .46LA have different bolt patterns on the head? I wouldn't have done that, but I guess OS has a big tooling budget. Don't throw away the old P&L, you might be able to get it honed out (to remove the nickle), chromed, and refitted. Better than new!  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
Did you notice that the .40LA and .46LA have different bolt patterns on the head? I wouldn't have done that, but I guess OS has a big tooling budget. Don't throw away the old P&L, you might be able to get it honed out (to remove the nickle), chromed, and refitted. Better than new!  H^^ Steve 

NO I didn't pick up on the bolt pattern but Ill take a look at it.  Very interesting about the old piston and sleeve-who would do that, pray tell?  I did save it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
Bob Oge is the only one I know of, since the passing of George Aldrich. I have no history with Bob, but know he is/was an FAI Team Racer (F2C) and I think he was a team member at least once. You might ask in the speed and racing forums. FWIW, the EPA doesn't want anybody to chrome anything...   VD~ Steve

boge@isp-west.com

f2clineflyer@yahoo.com

f2clineflyer Yahoo Messenger

(815) 286-3969

Hinkley, IL home
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bud Shipley

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
Bob Oge is the only one I know of, since the passing of George Aldrich. I have no history with Bob, but know he is/was an FAI Team Racer (F2C) and I think he was a team member at least once. You might ask in the speed and racing forums. FWIW, the EPA doesn't want anybody to chrome anything...   VD~ Steve

boge@isp-west.com

f2clineflyer@yahoo.com

f2clineflyer Yahoo Messenger

(815) 286-3969

Hinkley, IL home
Ill try to get in touch with him about it.  Have to be email cause I'm way hearing impaired!  Ill give you a heads up on what I find out.
Bud

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here